Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hpres-server

Default Re: Hpres-server

Perhaps the coolest feature of this LCD mod is that it has "Remote Control" Features!

There are many controlable features from the remote but perhaps the coolest ones are the one/off , selectable inputs!, + video out!am radio! and......
    Remote control lights! this will alow me to switch lights on and off using the Remote! this should work in very handy when any maintinance
    needs to be done or for light features!

The remote light control is fun to play with! testing here with a single blue LED

With the daughterboard hooked up and the unit powered you can see the remote selectable inputs!
    The son has already twigged that the XBOX can be hooked up to the second input

And a qick bootup into windows to test both LCD's!

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Thanx again guys !

Quote Originally Posted by taste_the_painbow
    how did you hook up your lcd's. they look amazing and i was wanting to do that myself. btw good job on making it in the featured worlogs again.
    for now all monitor connections are temp! but more will come in the next few updates

for now soz guys just some boring stuff..... but it needed to be posted so i'll get it out of the way and go mod HP3 some more

Now that the front LCd is mounted, it's daugter board need a a home as well!

The oprif plab was to mount it @ the side of the case, where the access to the upper HDD's screw mounts are.....

This would just prove to be a pain... and a better position was found.
    With a little bit of fiddling and a few mm's to spare the LCD daughter board was squeezed and guled into place between the LCD and Lower Fan.

This solution actually works much better! keeping the whole unit as one!

The Fans 120's are connected to the 5V rail, this still moves plenty of air and keeps them nice and quiet.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 06:35 PM.

The Front LCD as seen before is REMOTE controlled! i needed to work this function into the front of the case.

The simple solution was to just drill a how to allow the signal to pass thru the front of the case.

To fill the hole a small peice of tinted plex is "wittled" to shape, rather than just glue a peice to the back i decided make the peice sit flush with the front of the case.

The ruff edges are filed smooth

The window is poped in for a "looksee"

The panel is poped back on the case and the Quality Control Cheif is brought out for some stringent pruduct testing!!!

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 06:37 PM.

cheers once again guys!

FyR, Cheers mate seems ok?

The original plan was to put a Coolermaster water kit in the mod, the previouse server had a Modded version for about 4 months now and i was very happy with this setup.

As you can see here the setup fits easily... but i was left with the problem of mounting a RES!!

This unit isn't really that much better than good aftermarket air cooling.... it's just quieter!

I decided to use AIR COOLING... the only drama with aircooling is that imo with a motherboard cover heat becomes a problem.

To over come this problem, ive decided to ADD some ACTIVE cooling to assist airflow under the MOTHERBOARD COVER.

2 x 80mm fan holes are cut this will help to draw flow over the cpu and back out the side of the case... the fans are 2 x 80 super quiet coolermasters...which unlike the rest of the fans in the case can be left on the 12volt power.

For the side of the case i'm going to steel the side vent idea from HP4-FlameD.... but this time ive decided to go with the "bling Chrome Vents". the contrast on the All Back Case should look nice.

To make sure the Vent Holes are perfect rather than hand dremel cut and risk any wobbly lines ive decided this time to SCORE linecut the holes.

First score with a carbide but marker

The the final cuts are done with a stanly knife.

Then just press!

And Presto! perfect Dual side vent holes....i'll give them a smooth and paint the all the panels later.

A qik test ( excuse the messy wires for now )

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Now that the Cooling and layout of the internals were sorted it was time to sort out Break out jacks for the front screen.

the front screen has 2 inputs.

The simplest solution is to use a blank!

The new breakout plate can be connected to the RCA on the Screen.

and can be screwed into place.

The signal can pass thru from the card to the input.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 06:43 PM.

The good old standoff post is used to hold the motherboard cover inplace.

The mother board cover can be installed ! and final wires are cable tied behind the HDD Box.

Hard drives are fitted into thyr new home and SATA and power cables are fed from the hidden side then back out to each drive.

This method while not as clean as fully stealthed will allow for the qick changing of drives

The idea is a clean practical server solutin with goold flow and no messy wires.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nil8
    Are you doing a raid setup defyant?
    Can the mobo take that many sata drives or are you going to use a card?
    No raid mate theres an extra SATA card as you can see in the pics

Got a few days to play modding this weekend :wink: and finally got HP-SERVER done......... for now!

I know i already did cut these holes on a previous panel... but had had some "fryups" .... prolly caused by the previous owner painting all the panels with cheep enamel paint. So i decided rather than take a chance a new panel is cut and painted.

To get the lines streight a longblock is used.

The new side panel and front panel are given one last sprayputty and touchup.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Theres nothing really special about HP-SERVERS paint job! i just want a basic server black look... ive chosen to use midrange can paints all the way thru this mod.

These run in around 10 bux AU a can! so a paint job will still cost you around 70 bux ... with 2 cans of the black and 2 of the spray putty being used,

With all the panels now under putty.. and the front penal under primer.

The penels are all given a wetrub flat using 1000grit wet and dry.

To help with wet rubbing the panels are all given a "dust coat" of black.... this is called blackshadow.... the idea is this guide coat acts as your guide while wetrubbing,

While all the panels dry from the dust coat a qick ATX on/off switch hole is added to the fron panel.

Nothing special here! the less this button stands out...the better !

A small hole is drilled opposite the infra red hole.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 06:48 PM.

This panel is the first to get its new skin..... as you can see it has a flat sheen to it.... acrylics need to be chopped and buffed for a shine.

The panel is given a wetrub with 1500 wet and dry

You can see in this pic.. the paint is still NOT flat eunf... those small "pits" still need to be chopped out.

This is what your after....flat!

Nothing special about the buffing process! all hand done using everyday auto products. A 2 stage process hard cut and fine cut.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 06:50 PM.

The same is done to all the newly painted panels

All the panels after buffing are given a THICK final rub and buff with WAX.

It's nowhere near the standard of a proper 2PAK pro j0b... like HP2 & 3 but as you can see for a server case that will NOT get handled alot it's more then good enuf.

Time to add the SIDE CHROME VENTS.

I'll just be using Clear silicon tape to hold the vents in..this stuff is great!

These vents will more than allow the side 80mm exhaust fans to flow.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 06:52 PM.