Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BloodMoon

Default Re: BloodMoon

another actual work update

I decided to drag out my blue dome, and "etch the planet" today.

Some printing, some sizing, and my normal trick of using full sheet adhesive clear...I traced out the continents and lakes onto the inside of my dome:
    the whole thing

Mexico down to Peru?

looking down on the Great Lakes area.

I might touch up some spots to make it more "earthy" but...

Here go with some more weekend work:

Was out at DD Friday, picked up my DDC Pump, my CPU block with generic top (I like the shiny this time) and rushed home to work on it.

Had to dremel the bolts short enough for my Radiator and fans to clear it...it might look like the fans won't fit, but they will. I have a few tricks left!

And the MooneY Dome:

It's not done yet. I will put some obvious crater shapes in the right places to be geographically accurate and make it more MooneY.

And the lettering filing is about 95% done so I took the white sheet off and cleaned up to have a look at the result:

Next stage is to try painting my 120mm fans to match the anodized red 80mm I have. More coming.

more work done tonight! Little stuff, soldering, plugs, wires, etc.

Needed to get the LEDs for the Domes set up so I tore up a Blue LaserLED and a Red LaserLED.

I had to decide how I was going to attach them to the inside of the Shell around the Domes:

little aluminum spacers, some clear adhesive, a couple clamps--

Black 1" plastic strips, cut and then traced out to shape right up against the dome edge--

Each of 3 LED are curing in clamps to point at the edge of the dome.

And the little LED controller I bought from FrozenCPU.com, made by Topshelflabs.com.

I needed to take out the DIP switch since I want the control on the front of the case--

And then I had to convert it to 12V load instead of 5V load, along with connectors (the guys at topshelflabs helped me with transistor and resistor codes)--

It will likely get stuck on a piece of red acrylic, and mounted somewhere. Then I will take the 4 micro toggles (SPST) and mount them somewhere easy for control. It has 8 or 10 different pattens, and two speeds for the LEDs to pulse or flash.

did some more glue work to finalize my LED bracket for the Earthdome:

The end result:

ooooh, aahhhhh, bluuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

a person at another forums suggested I should diffuse the LEDs more...I thought it would weaken the etch response due to the curve of the dome.

I was wrong.

compare to now:

Much more even IMO.

finally!!!

my GX2 waterblock:

hmm, need some vertical changes in the PSU-Drive tray don't I?

I can finally move on to my wiring now. I think I will sleeve the water lines if I can find RED sleeving, not that pinky-looking stuff.

BTW, that is the waterblock from the Webpage photos #1 off them mill...going to have some DD guys sign it just for kicks.

Not the first time it has been brought up, but not here.

When I was looking at the Model in Sketchup, the M felt off balance in the middle of the word, and I did want it capitalized.

I played around with putting brackets in the middle, and some other ideas but none of them caught my eye.

When I flipped the Moon to read from the other side of the case, I liked it since I felt the eye had to stay on the text longer, figure out why you can read it, but not all in one quick glance.

Sort of like how you can put extra "the"s into a sentence and people don't notice it right off, but something seems wrong?

I even held off cutting the Moon letters until just a couple weeks ago, the Blood letters were all done Months ago. I wasn't entirely sure and didn't want to commit until I was.

Some will ask and find it annoying, some will just like it and move on, others might pick up on it right away.

No game reference, just a design choice I made when I sketched it.

well, nearing a time when I can almost see it done!

Didn't get around to any wiring this week.

However, I did get my Radiator grill done up:
    gutter screen like I used on Lubic

And then I did up a preliminary routing on my water lines:

No floppy drives for me...the switches for my LED controller will go here.

thx all, it does get cramped.

what tedium! wiring, painting, tubing, more wiring, more sanding, more polishing, repainting, etc.

I have been puttering around on the less exciting parts of getting ready to power on:

ATX header at the PSU end--
    stock

on with the dremel for a lower profile

some wires I am trimming

with no colors, I had to use my handy Sharpie to tell me which is which

And my new idea for lighting the BloodMoon letters

don't think I have ever heard or, or seen etching quite like it...I will give clues on how I did it later on...

the marks are the film still on the face of the workpiece, the etch is on the back.

Some connectors (like the ones on the X2 PSU) are hard to come by for matching the plugs. I have motherboard pin types (.1") and fan header types, and molex types, and 90 degree molex connectors, but the SATA connectors and 12V ATX are a little harder to come by.

That cable section won't be seen, I chose the middle of the cable specifically due to location on the interior. You would need a steerable fiber optic scope to see that when I finish.

When I finish the new etching, I will show the entire technique...the dremel just uses a very very tiny ball shaped tip. And lots of patience.

PS-3 weeks till completion (PDXLAN) so, yes, work will speed up! And thanks for the stars!

Here you go:
    I didn't save the "WordArt" file that I squished and shaped the letters with originally, but I wanted to trace along my letters precisely.

Onto Mirror plexi, in reverse, on the silver side. Etching the "outside" surface doesn't reflect the LEDs nearly as well, so I knew I needed to etch the inside.

This is all driven by the fact that I only have 3/8" depth under the letters to the top of the PSU and DVD drive to build my lightbox, hence the previous construction with the mirror 1/8" and the LEDs.

Why I didn't think of this before, I have no idea.

So...

I took my existing lettering, my fat sharpie, and turned it inside out:

That left me with:

then I took my dremel with a very tiny tip:

And very carefully, traced the outside most edge of my sharpie path to outline the lettering:

To get this:

Still has the full protective film on the pretty side, I just etch the silver layer off the back side.

Mostly lit up by dropping into my previous lightbox:

a little closer:

And placed behind my metal lettering to show the outline effect:

I will move the LEDs, cover the edges, and then stick it to the inside of the metal lettering for the final result.

I might fill in the etch to make the lettering more solid, or frost some of the front to make the lighting more even. Not sure yet.
    BloodMoon: a Qmicra Watercooling mod
    Asus P5LD2-VM--P4 950D (no Conroe mATX I could accept yet)
    4X512 Corsair DDR2 675--XFX 7950GX2 (520 clocks)
    2X250Gig Western Digital 16Meg Caviar SATA300s
    DangerDen TDX--DangerDen 7950
    BlackIce Pro II Radiator
    DDC12v pump--3/8" fittings
    Qmicra case by PCDesign Labs
    Matrix Orbital MX6--Plextor 716-SA DVD/RW