Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HP-4 Flame'D

Default Re: HP-4 Flame'D

Next is to test the lighting to ensure the light will actually travel along the tubes to the outer rim.

It does! and as can be seen buy holding the light unit different angles can produce different effects

Next to "SLOT" the unit over the blow hole.... the unit is a nice tight fit! and i doubt that it would easily slip off...but a permanent bracket will be attatched later.

Lighting will also be added to the side vents soon!

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 07:50 PM.

And of course a few mandatory night shots

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 07:51 PM.

The next pic really moves along and also shows the base now painted silver! the process is the same as any painting but i'll show it for the sake of the worklog

After the panel is "high filled" and left to sit for a few day to allow the dozens of coats of highfill to sink back it is then "Black shadow'd" or guide coated, the idea is that the dusty black guid coat is your guide for the sanding or wetrubbing process.

If theres something on TV i'll sand in the laundry sink this allows me wet rub and watch the nightly news

Once wet rubbed using 800grit wet and dry the panel is taken back out to the workshop , wiped dry, tack clothed or propsoled and given a dusty coat of "Platinum Silver" then followed by several more coats.

The panel is allowed to sit for a bit and then given 5-6 coats of CLEAR and left to sit for 2 days.

While the shine looks pretty good! this is a can paint job! and does need to be chopped and buffed.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Again 800 wet and dry is used for the chopping.

The idea is to get your clear coat flat! as you can see in this one small area after a quiky rub the clear is NOT FLAT!

A bit more rubbing! now its flat.... its flat when its dull.

A good long hand buff using some ultra fine compound and we have have some shine back.

The same with the base

I like the silver so far, alot more cutting and buffing is needed,.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 07:55 PM.

A small update today! i'm still toying with the front blowhole/fan combo as this will be the main feature of the mod. the choice of spinner will be a combo LARGER then normal spinner and some plex modding

For the mod i'll be using the LARGE spinner on the left! instead of the smaller one to the right that i normally use for mods.

Next step is to pick a fan! i wanted to use a chrome fan... the only chome fan i had was a dead one so a bit of FAN surgery was needed.

The motor in this fan had burnt out, rather than wait a few days to buy a new one i decided to swap the prop onto a new frame.
    Pulling these things aprt is as simple as removing one plastic surclip on the back.

The same is done to a cheeper black frame.

The new silver prop is slotted onto the new plastic frame, clip is pressed back on, excess oil is wiped away and the rubber plug replaced with some tape to keep it in place.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 07:58 PM.

With the minor surgery out of the way i can now get on with the mod

to add to another lighting feature to the turbine mod a clear sloped routed adaptor ring is made.

The idea is this will not only become a light feature bit will be the adaptor for the larger cone.

The ring is machined routed perfectly to suit the base of the cone.

Using Weldon the Cone and Ring are centered and glued to the fan.

The best way to test that the cone is sitting center the fan is switched on

I really like the clean open look of this and a test in the blow hole shows that either with or without the glow rings the mod looks good.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Next is to show how the adaptor plex ring lights up the base of the cone.

A qick fit up to the case for a looksee

i think this is a really clean look! and actually prefer the open look to the rings.

Speaking of rings! ive added them in also for a looksee

The base ring gets a bit lost in the effect one the lighting is added but still added to the mod.

The light being given off is pretty intence

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Cheers for the great replys guys

DaveW, the rings i brought (cut to size) from my local plex shop in syd.
    Thyr glued into place using Weldon Glue. ( i decided not to run the rings, leaving the blow hole open actually suited the mod better in the end)

Tech-Daddy, Cheers mate thank you very much mate

BOSS is still my favourite mod and makes for the most wicked Wall paper

gobygoby, ty i usually use use a compressor and 2pack paint for my mods.

This time i thought i'd give good old acrylic rattle spray cans a go!
    The shine and paint tuffness is no where near that of 2pack but with some elbow grease as you will see the end result came up not to bad

MDCS, no jig for me soz mate, just hand/eye stuff. a better way (for perfect lines) would have been to just score them.

Thanx again guys for the support
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 08:04 PM.

I procrastenated for days over wether to paint the chassis in 2pack or get it powder coated...

In the end i had a better idea!

A qik trip to my favourite place to pick up some pre-cut plex!

The plan was to buy some SILVER coloured plex....unfortunatly they don't stock a metalic silver... i had to improvise!!!

Crack the chassis open

abit of metal work

With the tab gone the back wall is flat and i can line it with plex sheeting.

The new back wall can be slid in.

a new base or floor panel is added

The back of the case is fitted back on and the motherboard is placed in for marking.

This mod will also have a motherbord cover! so a clear piece is used to transfer markings.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 08:06 PM.

A cover is bentup to fit over the HDD bays *****im not happy with this and will redo the mod again******

The motherbord cover is marked and cut.

And fit tested.

The new panels are all taken out again and preped for and painted~

Because i could not buy silver plex the idea is to paint the back of the plex this will give the same effect as if the plex was silver.

For the silver im using cheep can enamel.

The painted panels are slid back into the partly painted chassis and the back of the case is pop rivoted back on.

Paper peeled off and board is place in.

Last edited by jdbnsn; 02-17-2012 at 08:09 PM.