Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get sponsored?

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default How to get sponsored?

I, Omega, have a desire to mod. I, Omega, also have a dilemma.

I have no money, and no useful parts.

So I was wondering how to get sponsorships.

I know that good writing skills are a must (plus something to show to companies is good too), but what else should I do? Some of the stuff I want to be sponsored for might get expensive (acrylic/mesh stock, a decent Antec case, computer internals if at all possible).

Thanks,
    Omega

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Default Re: How to get sponsored?

Good writing skills is a must. And like you said, some work to show them that their products aren't being wasted is good to have. Also, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Classic saying that fits great for this type of stuff. Take what you can get and make it work. I'm trying to get some stuff together for sponsors for when CS:Server is done, and I've been doing a lot of searching on this stuff. Also, don't get your hopes up on one company. Ask many companies, and if you get something better than what they offer, kindly tell them you don't need it anymore and thank you for considering sponsoring my mod.

And nice sig BTW. LoL.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Good writing skills is a must. And like you said, some work to show them that their products aren't being wasted is good to have. Also, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Classic saying that fits great for this type of stuff. Take what you can get and make it work. I'm trying to get some stuff together for sponsors for when CS:Server is done, and I've been doing a lot of searching on this stuff. Also, don't get your hopes up on one company. Ask many companies, and if you get something better than what they offer, kindly tell them you don't need it anymore and thank you for considering sponsoring my mod.

And nice sig BTW. LoL.

Thanks. I guess I'm off to go pester some companies.

=]

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

Hrmm...someone should prolly do a "Tutorial" on how to get sponsorships...

Because its a lot more then just...working with parts and "pestering". You really have to know what to say, especially if you dont have a mod already made to show them.

Here's what I have so far... and I'm uploading brand new SilverDawn pictures.

Hello. My name is Michael Baker, and I go by the internet alias "OmegaM1A1" or "Omega" in some cases. The reason why I am contacting you today is to ask for your sponsorship for a case mod project that I wish to undertake called "Project Tiberium".

"Project Tiberium" is a concept based off of the Command and Conquer Tiberium series of games (Tiberian Dawn, Tiberian Sun, Tiberium Wars), with a simple, effective, and somewhat industrial theme. I have a rough concept in mind at the moment, and I am refining it with every passing day. This image, although slightly outdated, conveys the general shape and whatnot that I am trying to achieve.

http://www.lotechdesigns.com/host/im...Untitled-1.jpg

I plan on sketching, scanning, and uploading more drawings in the near future (within a few weeks).

What I am asking of you is to sponsor me for some parts. Almost anything would be fine (from thumbscrews, to fans, to an Antec P150 case). The only real requirement is that colors for objects other than cases should be green (such as LED fan's, wire sleeving kits, cold cathodes, etc) or black (anything not illuminated, like case handles, feet, etc).

As well as aesthetics, a Water Cooling kit would be nice. Part of the theme of the computer is to try and make it look like it's running on Liquid Tiberium, which could be imitated by UV reactive green coolant in a water cooling setup.

Any and all parts that you could sponsor me for would be great. In exchange, I would be willing to give you a formal "Thank-you" and recognition of your sponsorship for my mod (via word of mouth, your company's sticker/logo on a special base made for my case mod if applicable, and recognition in my worklog).

As far as my modding experience goes, I'm still somewhat an amateur. I can wield a Dremel to a certain extent, and I have a semi-complete project called "Project SilverDawn". "SilverDawn" is my first step into the world of PC Modding, and is inspired slightly by an Australian modder by the alias of "Defyant" who's completed several impressive projects called "HP Resurrection 1", "HP Res 2" and "HP Res 3 MEGA" as well as other mods.

HP Res 1: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=7984
    HP Res 2: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=8070
    HP Res 3 MEGA: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...?t=8107&page=8

My mod, "SilverDawn" is not of the same quality as Defyant's, however I'm still pleased with my work.

SilverDawn pictures (please bear in mind that it is a work in progress, and the images are also quite large):

In my opinion. .

The thing to do would be to make them notice you!
    Enter a competition and Win.

Talk to everyone. Let them Know "You" are the guy or girl with all the bright ideas.

What you have to remember is they are in it for the money.

You have to have exposure to be sponsored. For the most part they are in it for the advertising of there product.

Let them know what you Need, and Make them want to give it to you!

I am going to be the "Concept Design Man" for a Leading PCase Manufacturer!
    No Scratch that. . I will be the C.E.O of a Leading PCase Manufacturer!

Confidence is Key!

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I'd like to add that when you get together your list of companies, don't focus on just computer parts companies. I've got one solid connection in the fastener (nuts and bolts) field, and I will be approaching him once I get either the Frankenstripe or Deere completed. I've also made some other connections in other fields, and once I feel confident in my work, I shall approach them.

Also, publicity can play a huge factor. Scour the newspapers, talk to your peers (or in your case, teachers) and see if any non-profit organizations are in need of a new(er) computer. That's how I came across the need for the need for the 3-7-77 mod.

Your letter looks great. Keep fighting the good fight!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

I've been getting companies to sponsor TBCS related stuff. I sorted out a pile of goodies for the PAX Case Mod competition and got the prizes for the modder's challenge sorted. I've also been in talks with a few companies about case mod sponsorship.

This doesn't make my opinion more valid, but if you ask me, there's some simple rules.

1) Let them know what's in it for them. Make it good.
    2) Show them you're reliable, easy to work with, and good natured.
    3) Don't go empty handed. Say 'this is my plan'. The modder's challenge was particularly difficult, because a lot of companies didn't understand the concept or simply didn't want to take the plunge into a competition that had never been run before. The modder's challenge 'dry run' we did allowed the companies to see what it's all about, and after #3, we're hoping that the challenge will really take off.
    4) Make sure that you're clear on what's in it for you. You don't have to be specific, by saying "I'd like 4*512 DDR2 with 4-2-6-6 latency or whatever. But let them know what you want from them.

Finally, some advice Crimson once gave me; don't lift a dremel till the money's in the bank. Wait and see that all your sponsors will make good on their deals.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

With the recent tips, I will be rewriting my draft.

Thanks, guys.

ATX Mental Case

What are some companies that would be good to send this too? most of the websites i have tried are a hastle to find an email adress and normally only have one for tech support. Any help would be awesome

-Taintedplay