Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Opinons please

cooler than the other side of the pillow dfigravity's Avatar

Default Need Opinons please

Ok...so I have finally decided on a theme for my first real mod...not sure when I'll actually be able to begin it though as I am currently in the military and about to move...again. But hell, this will give me plenty of time to prepare right? So here it is...I still haven't decided on a case yet, but the case is going to be Airborne (HOOAH!)themed...I want to do a window cutout of Jump Wings

My question is...would it be better to get a piece of plexi and etch this into a piece of plexiglass? Or could it be cutout and still retain some of the detail? How hard is it to get nice detail with etching??
    There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

Go ahead, impress me Spacehonkey's Avatar

Default Re: Need Opinons please

Quote Originally Posted by dfigravity View Post
    My question is...would it be better to get a piece of plexi and etch this into a piece of plexiglass? Or could it be cutout and still retain some of the detail? How hard is it to get nice detail with etching??
    How much experience do you have with etching?
    *****COMMON SENSE AIN'T COMMON*****

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehonkey View Post
    How much experience do you have with etching?
    heh heh heh.........none
    There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

no experience, i wouldn't attempt it, unless you can get some scraps to pratice with.

Or get someone to do it for you, or use a decal

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Etching plexi is super easy.. print the image you want (print it mirrored or backwards), tape it to the plexi, and trace it out. Then just scratch in some details.

When you are done, turn it around (so the etching is on the inside, and the smooth side is out) and that's it. Just add lighting if you want, and it's done.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I would do both. Cut out the shape of the jump wings medal, then etch the details in the plexi to make a good combination. Should look great if you take your time and practice as suggested above.
    Jon
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I'm assuming using a dremel is the best way...like I mentioned before, I have plenty of time before I can actually start this, so lots of practice will be in order. For the other side of the case I am going to cut out this shape (it's my Unit patch) with a piece of diffused plexi (sanded...not sure what color yet) behind it and backlit with a 4" CCFL. If I can get a little practice in with an airbrush kit, I might try airbrushing the "Airborne" tab above it.

Why not make a stencil of it and use a sand blaster. . would be a hell of alot easier.

Here Ye Go:

Heres a Better one:

Cool...thanks for those images! Also...I can't decide whether or not to cut out a large window, etch the design into the center, then cover that and use sandpaper (or the krylon frosting that Crimson sugested) to diffuse the plexi around the image...or just cut out an area slightly larger than the image (maybe an oval) and just etch it without diffusing anything. I'm slowly working on a sketchup of this...

Quote Originally Posted by dfigravity View Post
    Cool...thanks for those images!
    No Problemo. .
    I just goto google and click on the images tab and look for any and all pictures. . you can do it on most the other search engines also.

Cutting it outs going to be preddy hard to do. . Would Look better though. You would have to interconnect the wings.
    I can imagine you would need some extra sheets of plexi though.

Practice on a CD Jewl Case. .Thats what Im doin'