Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...Another question about lighting.

Fresh Paint

Default ...Another question about lighting.

I'm planning to fit 2x GLS standard 12 volt 15 watt light bulbs to a case I'm working on, just wondering (as I'm completely new to all this) how to go about it?

Austral Alien

Default Re: ...Another question about lighting.

What do the bulbs look like and where are you planning on mounting them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Fresh Paint

Here are the bulbs I want to use... http://www.bltdirect.com/product.php...+watt+ES+Pearl

...and I want to mount them on the outside of the case on top.

Austral Alien

What are you planning for this case? 30w is a lot of light for a PC.

Make sure the power supply you are using has a spare 30w available to use first and foremost. Or have a separate transformer for them you can plug into your AC power.

You'll need some mounts for the bulbs. Then just hook up the positive 12 wires (yellow on a standard molex) to the lights, and hook up the ground wire to the black wire on the molex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    What are you planning for this case? 30w is a lot of light for a PC.
    I've been commissioned to build a Bender PC case for a Futurama fan and as a big fan of the series myself I jumped at the chance without giving too much consideration as to how the hell I was going to do it.

Anyway I found this case mod...http://www.wymenfan.com/bender/index.php?page=default

Which has helped alot but I need a little help with the technical bits as I've never done anything like this before.

I'd appreciate any advise you can give me.

Cheers dudes.

You can always commission me to build the Bender model, and we can guide you through the rest...we won't tell the client

Welcome to TBCS.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Fresh Paint

Ha, Haa! Sorry Crimson, I've got no problems with the build part,

Thanks for the offer though

It's really just lighting I need some advice on, I want 2 ordinary house hold, screw in (low voltage) bulbs for his eyes, a fridge style light in his chest that lights up when you open the door, a small torch bulb in one of his fingers and a red LED in the end of his cigar... that's all for the mo.

Do you think a separate PSU just for this lot is the way to go or will I be all right with just one?

No problems with the build part yet you don't know how to wire up a 12volt LED cluster?

just use 12v high intensity LEDs easy as pie to wire up. Runs cool, lasts for many hours. If you try to run household lights in that thing you'll be in for some serious heat issues, not to mention power concerns and fire hazards.
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 05-12-2007 at 04:08 PM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Today is a good day to compute. The Black Pumpkin's Avatar

You could take the household bulbs, then cut off the bottom part with the threads, spray the inside white or yellow, then stick some LED's inside like Crimson suggested.

As far as I know, lightbulbs are filled with noble gases ( like Xenon or Argon), which means it should probably be done outside.

I agree that traditional incandescent bulbs are not the way to go. Way too hot and energy hungry. Are you wanting to use the bulbs for his eyes? If so, I would just look around for something plastic and somewhat dome-shaped (those little plastic bubbles in the quarter machines that have candy or trinkets for the kids would do nicely) and use LED's as mentioned earlier. It would solve alot of design issues. Also, I have seen Bender's eyes fall out and they were long, cylindrical shaped structures, kind of like those smooth Starbuck's water bottles
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri