Thread: Spraypaint

Resident Alcoholic

Default Spraypaint

== Intro ==

Spray Paint, or canned aerosol paint, is the most commonly used type and method of paint used by home modders, due to it's ease of use, affordable price and availablity. It is most frequently found in hardware stores, DIY shops, hobby shops, even occasionally in supermarkets.

== Safety First ==

Allways spray in a well ventilated area.

If you have the money, it is a VERY good idea to buy a respirator. These are not very expensive and work wonders. If you don't feel the need to buy one at first, wait until you wake up the morning after painting something, and sneeze out a mix of black, pink, and silver paint. The best respirator on the market is a 3m 6000 series, you will need the organic vapour filters as well as the dust filters. Remember: Bandanas don't block out the fumes, which is what will kill you, they only block out the particles. This is why you need the vapour filters.

== Brands of Spraypaint ==

There are so many brands of paint that it would take days to list them all, so here are a few of the more well known ones.

Cheap paint:

Cheap paint will be fine for basic paint jobs, and many use it happily. A word of warning however - If you live in the UK, so called 'cheap' paint like plastikote often costs £6 a can, where as the good paint such as belton costs only £2.50 a can. (but if you're ordering off the net you must remember £10 standard shipping charge)

Brands include:

*Krylon

*Rustoleum

*Plastikote

*Wal-mart brand

Good paint:
    This paint is thicker than the cheap paint, it is of a better quality, and has a much wider colour range. The main benefit of this thicker, smoother paint is its ease. Painting with good quality paint makes it FAR easier to acheive an even finish. It is also less likely to fade or discolor over time.

Brands include:

*Belton premium

*Montana (german)

*Montana (Spanish)

==Buying Spraypaint in the UK==

*www.valleyofchrome.com - My favourite, sells belton.

*www.thelayup.com - Recomended by many people

*www.illuminarty.co.uk - Very cheap site, decent paint but don't buy the extracheap stuff as it is of very low quality.

Default Re: Spraypaint

Nice guide mate! Very well done.
    RIP Bucko

Anodized

Would you not reccomend halfords spraypaint?

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

I just ran across these guys. Their paint is really expensive but they have some really wicked effects paint that they offer in cans also.

Alsa Paint Corp.

For example:

thats a cool effect but it looks cheaply painted some how.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Fresh Paint

I was wondering... Do you have any idea how many cans about will be needed to properly paint a whole case? I'm talking a medium sized standard ATX case, painting the top, sides and perhaps the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    Do you have any idea how many cans about will be needed to properly paint a whole case?
    2 Regular size cans will easily do the outside. . Kinda a Trick question. Iv'e used 5 or more trying to figure out what color I wanted.
    Word of advise wait till all your modding is done before painting, Sand and Prime!

. . I got some Plasti-Kote Kameleon spraypaint off ebay.
    They Failed to mention the cans were step 2 of 3. .
    So all i got was Kameleon overspray.

So If you order Kameleon Paint make sure you get all the steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclecticos
    2 Regular size cans will easily do the outside
    I'm not so sure about that... I've used 2 on one panel before. You could make 2 work, but I'd have about 4 on hand.
    RIP Bucko

superb painting on the bike specially mirror has great look,hold the can 10,12 inches from your work and spray in a continuous left to right movement.there are very good directions on the can if you will read them all instruction of the card which you have...