Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aunt looking for PC

Default Aunt looking for PC

Well my Aunts down from Flordia and she was asking me what a good computer is.

She said is HP good. I said Ya, but i suggested a custom computer(i would build it, she loved the idea) So now im building a computer for my aunt. Its mostly for work and internet. And my little cuzin might play those flash games off of mini clip and so on...

Heres what i was thinking:
    C2D E6600
    ASUS P5N32-E SLi Plus
    G.Skill 1GB
    Thermaltake 600watt
    Western Digital 80GB and 320GB
    BFG 6800 (any other good ones out there(nothing crazy?)
    Antec Performance One P180B Black(case)
    Sony DVD Burner

pirce(including shipping)=1,063.35

Pretty good price for what shes looking for all she need is some Speakers and a LCD Monitor.

how is it?
    missing any thing?

thx-Steve

*I still didnt start my Custom PC(coming this summer tho)* But thats ok.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Aunt looking for PC

Dell.

Building a PC for other than yourself... its a headache waiting to happen. With a Dell, you also get a nice warranty. Instead of the warranty being You.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I think there is a bit of overkill in the processing department unless your aunt is a gamer/graphics artist.
    Need a sig

Im not buying a Dell from all the crap i went thro with them and plus there getting sued for all the bull sh!t they been getting away from.

She likes the idea of the Custom Computer, i just need to know if the specs are good for what she is willing to do with it

I know what you mean Simon ,

She is a Graphic Designer, not a gamer.

(She owns her own graphic buisness.)

What CPU u thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by B1Gtime View Post
    I know what you mean Simon ,

She is a Graphic Designer, not a gamer.

(She owns her own graphic buisness.)

What CPU u thinking?
    In that case, you may as well disregard the post. For a graphics designer, you may want to think about more RAM. Ditch the motherboard, get a cheaper one and throw in another Gb of RAM. She'll need that more than an SLI capable mobo. No need for a Tt 600W either. You could get away with a 550W from a different brand and save some money too.

Video cards you may want to look into:
    Sapphire Radeon X1650 512Mb

Gigabyte 8500GT 256Mb

Edit: Oh, an you're missing an OS...
    RIP Bucko

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

A graphics designer? lol That is something you should of said earlier man. I thought she was just your average "I don't know anything about computers" adult, like my parents. I guess that was my fault for assuming though.

I would say the setup you have is pretty sweet. It's definitely overkill, looks more like a gamers pc. One thing I have been told though is, for graphic designing ram is good to have. So go with mal's suggestion and get another gig of ram. For the graphics card I would go with that sapphire that mal listed. That looks pretty good and I've always liked sapphire. Seems to be a pretty decent/cheap brand.

Hmmm, since she's a graphic designer I would go with a monitor with some nice viewing property. Maybe a 24" widescreen? How much are you looking to spend on a monitor?

Yep, mal beat me to it. I just noticed it too lol. Can't run a PC without an OS. :p
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I agree, do NOT go with Dell, we have a few Dell craptops that keep dying, my dad's work one died a couple times in the past few months, and it's awful, they didn't even fix the damn thing right the first time either... an HP for about 6-800 bucks would've been good, but hey, building it always is better, in some ways... more personal a gift.

ye fer a graphics PC u dont needa as much CPU horse power as much as u need ram and GPU power...... also rememeber they have specialy designed graphics cards for graphics power users... ones that may not have all the goodies of a gaming card... but more than enuff power for graphical work.
    try no to overkill it with gaming goodies... and give it what it needs..
    just on a side point... i refuse to build computers for family.... cuz if they **** something up they usualy want u to fix it for free.... and when ur like me and aint got the cash nor time they usualy feel insulted..
    lolz but hopefully ur family is nicer
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

I second the "go with a Dell" idea. If you build it, you are the warranty. If something goes wrong, you'll get the call.

If something happens with a Dell, the call goes to India.

If shes a designer, maybe she'd prefer a Mac? If not, make sure you put on XP Pro rather than Vista.

I dont know why so many people hate on Dell.. I buy Dell's exclusively for my work, and I've yet to have any serious issues with them. Hell, my last job had a couple of p2 Dells still in service when I left two years ago. We have 17 Dell laptops in service right now, and the only issue was one battery failure... and it wasnt even the spectacular exploding/melting battery.. just died, and wont hold a charge... pretty dull.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro