Thread: Just a summer project

Default Just a summer project

Im thinking of building a summer project, mainly because i was messing around on the Egg and came across a case that i absolutely love. Link and already have some ideas for it. I'm thinking Blue lighting (what can i say, I'm a sucker for blue) Interior all High Gloss Black, and all cables Sleeved in White... Now, here comes my dilemma. Im planning on using this PSU Link with the build, but i know that the 8 pin processor connecter won't be long enough, and i only will need 4 of the 8 pins. as for the only needing 4 pins, i think that by individually sleeving the wires that i wont have a problem, but my dilemmas are 1) lack of $$, 2) how do i safely extend the wires, 3) How do i take the connectors off so i can sleeve the wires without breaking anything, 4) where is a good place to buy decent quality sleeving, and 5) how do you cut the sleeving to length without it going all goofy and falling apart. I guess im a little ambitious... lol any help or advice or links to tutorials would be greatly appreciated.
    PS, dont know if i mentioned this, i will be putting a window in that side panel so you can see the pretty glossy goodness underneath.

oh, last piece of info, the cooler that i picked, just because if blends with the look i'm going for in the build... Link (I'm planning on either disabling the green LEDs or replacing them with the LEDs from another zalman cooler i have laying around.)

Default Re: Just a summer project

So, started working in Sketch UP... Its not exactly easy, so this took me alot longer than it should have.

Here is the concept for the interior

and the seperator that will go between the PSU and the other hot spots, as well as the cover that will go behind the optical Drives to hide them from view.

Its not really aparent from the pic, but the material will be some plexi that i picked up for another project, and im thinking of taking some sand paper to it to make it have a cool milky white coloring. The cold caths underneath should make it light up blue and give a cool Glowing effect to the whole deal. the bottom plate will have a much much smaller hole that will have the six pin connecter coming out for the Gpu. it will also have some small holes drilled in it to help airflow a little (the case has fans on top, bottom, front, and rear. Side fan hole will be cut out and the window will go there.

for the plate behind the disk drives the plan is to have a notch where the bottom plate will meet up with it, hopefully making 2 heat zones in the case. the motherboard, and the optical/hdd/PSU area. i will also be routing most of the cables around the back of the case and have them just snake out around the outside., if you have seen my cable management mod you will know what im talking about. The cables will all be sleeved like so

(pic is from Overclock.net by smasherBasher )

but in white with black connectors and black shrink.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Just a summer project

Looks like you've got some good ideas. I also love the 690 series of cases; I used a CM690 for a system I built at work, and it's actually what convinced me to go with the 590 that I used for Zeus.

For the sleeving questions, it's actually a lot simpler than you might think. The main obstacle in modding a PSU is kissing that warranty goodbye. To remove the connectors, you can use a toolset like this one. I have that same toolset, actually. I've never had much luck with removing the 4/6/ATX connectors though...idk, I'm probably just doing it wrong. You can get good sleeving material from any number of other retailers, both online and off. Check the suppliers page in the wiki for that. To extend the cabling safely, just get some wire the same gauge, cut, and solder in extensions. As for cutting sleeving, a sharp pair of scissors works great. Just be careful with it once it's cut, and make sure you secure the end with either a zip-tie or heatshrink tubing once you have it on the wire, or it'll unravel over time.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV