Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super-air-cooled

Fresh Paint

Default Super-air-cooled

I have an idea for a case (built from scratch) that will lie flat and be cooled only by air. It should have so much air passing through it that it would be able to do some really good o/c'ing. Just looking at sketchup and i'll try to make up a lil design for it. Oh btw...this would require a custom-made HS and no actual cpu fan.

Edit: Maybe a small cpu fan which would double as a blower to the ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockTheBox View Post
    I love your work.. can your computer and my computer make babies.. .. this is just awe inspiring .. I want one for my room.. just so people are like whats that? and I can say its god..

Default Re: Super-air-cooled

where is the air coming from a blower? sounds interesting.

you could get a fanless heatsink like a TRUE or similar.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Sounds interesting. OOC, are you wanting to do a custom HS just to do a custom HS? Because if not, there are plenty of huge, awesome, fanless CPU, GPU, and NB HSs.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

Well the HS would have to be custom-manufactured...the case would not be a standing case, but would be designed to lie flat....there would be about 5 fans in the front and an equal amount in the "back".....the motherboard would be rotated so that the IO panel would be on one of the "sides".....heatsink should be made of copper and designed to make use of every single inch of free space, contact points for CPU, NB, onboard video and anything else that might require cooling. Yes, it will have a lot of heat pipes and would have to be installed before the MB enters the chassis. The fins would be made in a "wave" pattern, so as to have more "friction" from the air. Since it's a push-pull with so many fans, air pressure won't be an issue. Once again, i need to dive into Sketchup (haven't tried yet...about to...) so as to give an idea of what i want to do.
    I love your work.. can your computer and my computer make babies.. .. this is just awe inspiring .. I want one for my room.. just so people are like whats that? and I can say its god..

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Hmm, interesting. How do you plan on making the HS? I'd definitely be interested in seeing that process.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Fresh Paint

Ok a small update here...I pretty much got the layout the way I wanted (I believe that there is beauty in simplicity) but the HS is going to be a major pain in the rear....this is the first time I'm using Sketchup and I'm not the kind of guy to read up on stuff before I do it...I'm a trial by fire kinda guy. (funny thing is, I'm also a volunteer fire fighter) So here are a few Sketchup clips for your viewing pleasure...before the elaborate heat sink...Not sure exactly how to post my images, but here's a try!

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5643/tbcs2.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6415/tbcs.jpg

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Hmm, interesting. How do you plan on making the HS? I'd definitely be interested in seeing that process.
    The HS would without a doubt need to be custom-manufactured...If I had the patience and the material, I would make it myself...but wow, will it be an intricate one...

Fresh Paint

So question to anyone out there that uses Sketchup, is there any way to, say, copy one item in one specific direction (axis) to a specific distance without it snapping to any object or shifting on any other axis? (this would make the HS SOOOOO much easier to design... Thanks in advanced!

Edit: I'm thinking about making the case 1 fan smaller, as there is an amount of unused space in the middle...Maybe not, though, 'cause I might use this space for extra heat fins if I plan on having a video card set up in it...Why overclock if you're gonna use on-board video??? Let me know what you think about that.
    Last edited by el_magnifico; 01-19-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Updated info

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

When you copy the object hover the copy in the same place as the orginal. Then hold shift and that should lock it to the axis.

I could be wrong, I havn't used it in a while.

-CollinstheClown

Fresh Paint

Smile Re: Super-air-cooled

Quote Originally Posted by Collinstheclown View Post
    When you copy the object hover the copy in the same place as the orginal. Then hold shift and that should lock it to the axis.

I could be wrong, I havn't used it in a while.
    -CollinstheClown
    Yeah, I've tried this method a few times, but it usually wants to snap to any object or surface that's directly in the sight of the mouse... I'll do some googling and figure it out.

If you (anybody reading this) have ever opened up an XBOX 360, you will have an idea of what I'm doing here...similar idea of using all available space for heat dissipation...