Thread: Start bar problems?

Today is a good day to compute. The Black Pumpkin's Avatar

Default Start bar problems?

Kinda wierd problem here for the experts!

This is my main computer, so it is kinda important, too. (To me anyway. )

I have several processes that start up every time my computer turns on, such as wireless, the nvidia control panel, stuff like that. Every time it turns on, though, it seems to freeze partway through loading those programs. Always after the audio icon appears, and always before the network connection icons appear. Everything else in windows works fine, all the icons on the desktop work, and so on. But the start bar is completely frozen until it finishes loading, which usually takes two to three minutes.

And Supreme Commander runs strangely slow as well.

Things on my list to try are reinstalling drivers for audio, chipset, and graphics, and maybe in safe mode. One of those should probably do it, but I'm just curious as to everyone else's opinions.

P.S. It's not a virus or spyware or anything either, at least not anything AVG stuff can detect. And my registry is good according to CCleaner.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Start bar is retarded?

Whats your system specs?

Get rid of unwanted programs and get rid of all unnecessary start up programs. That sometime helps.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

cpu: Athlon 64 3800+ X2
    mobo: XFX MB-N590ASH9
    ram: G.Skill 2x1GB DDR2 800
    video: 8800 GTS 320MB
    psu: Corsair CMPSU-620HX
    case: Z-Alien full tower (like in the Water Alien Rebirth mod)
    screen: Sceptre X20WG-Naga 20"
    storage: Samsung SP2014N 200GB (IDE)
    optical: Sony DW-Q28A DVD-RW (IDE/Sata adapter installed)

If you wanna know any other parts, just let me know. Safe mode is gonna be my next thing, if it happens in there, somethings messed up with Windows, if not, it's other software.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

lol oh yea, something is definitely messed up. You shouldn't be experiencing any lag with specs like that.

Have you tried a system restore?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

When was the last time you defragged your hard drive? What you are experiencing is a classic tell tale sign that your drive might be overdue for a defrag.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Might take a little time, but might try msconfig... and uncheck 1 item at a time. reboot if the problem goes away it would at least point to that one program.

if it is just a timing sequence

http://tinyurl.com/28k44s

one of these programs might lend a hand at allowing one process to finish loading before the next one starts...

Default Re: Start bar problems?

Well if it goes frigazee after your audio loads you may have installed the wrong drivers.

I would Remove the unnecessary startup programs. HERE or HERE

That will help free up some memory as well.

Also clean up your prefetch folder.
    You can remove some of them easily with SpyBot ->Mode ->Advanced Mode-> Tools-> Startup.

Overclocked

100% chances of fixing this trouble way to do it : format and clean install

Snowfire: Never done a system restore before, wouldn't know where it start, and I don't want to try it for fear of fudging it up more.

Drumthumper: Actually that was one of the first things I tried. Didn't help.

r0adawg & Eclecticos: Somethings to try for sure...

Nagoshi: I know! I know! I'm just trying to wriggle around that! I hate backing up and then reloading my programs...

I'm gonna try Safe mode tomorrow, then try msconfig.

I'm just gonna reinstall. Not worth any more headaches.