Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista or XP

Default Vista or XP

Ok, i'm getting a free full version of Vista Ultimate, but im not sure if i want to install it over XP. I really want vista when the DX 10 games start coming out at the end of the summer, but i would really perfer to keep XP for everything else. Is there any way that i can install both, or any thoughts on what i should do? Thanks.

Default Re: Vista or XP

Why not just install it when the games come out? Keep XP until then, and install Vista when you absolutely need it.
    RIP Bucko

Do you have a spare HDD? Throw it in as a slave, install Vista, and dual boot. That's what I did.

you could look into a dual boot option.

google "xp vista dual boot"

When I got my copy of Vista, I didn't want to remove my fully customized XP either, so what I did was dual booted. I partitioned my main drive accordingly, and installed Vista to the second partition. It automatically created a boot loader and in about an hour I had a fully functional install of Vista. The install was relatively pain-free.

One thing is that Vista will set itself as the primary OS to boot, but that is easy to change. Its lost somewhere in the 15,000 new Control Panel options.

-Cool-
    Project Pioneer : AMD AthlonXP 3000+ : 1GB DDR RAM : Windows XP MCE
    ATI Radeon X1650 256MB : 520-Watt Corsair PSU : 20x DVD-RAM DL + LightScribe
    1.0TB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Samsung SATA II
    250GB Seagate SATA I : 80GB Western Digital PATA/IDE

I have a harddrive selector switch from Indus. Nice unit. Now all I need is to replace my 2nd harddrive that @#$%'d out.
    http://www.industechnologies.com/

Thanks for all the suggestions, i think i'm going to go with Cool1Net6's idea, and do a dual boot, and just partition my hard drive. If i do this though is there any programs i need or can i do as im installing vista

You can do it as you are running the install.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Cool1Net6 View Post
    When I got my copy of Vista, I didn't want to remove my fully customized XP either, so what I did was dual booted. I partitioned my main drive accordingly, and installed Vista to the second partition. It automatically created a boot loader and in about an hour I had a fully functional install of Vista. The install was relatively pain-free.

One thing is that Vista will set itself as the primary OS to boot, but that is easy to change. Its lost somewhere in the 15,000 new Control Panel options.

-Cool-
    Then why don't you change it in the 20-options control panel from XP? I dont remember exacly where the multi-boot panel is in Windows. but you only have to change a number if I remember.

And if you wanna go for it manually, it's something like boot.ini which should be located in C:. There should be 2 "Windows" entries, use your logic and change it accordingly to your priorities

vista dosen't work like that anymore,
    Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!