Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Speed, Is 7mb/sec worth it?

Default Internet Speed, Is 7mb/sec worth it?

I've been trying to come up with ways to save some money. Currently I have cox high speed internet access. and they claim I get 7mbps download speed. but when I do a speed test online, I only get around 5000 kbps. they have a cheaper package that is $15 less per month that gives me 1.5 mbps. Is it really worth it to have that extra speed. Most of my online acces is spent surfing the web, looking at this site, ebay, newegg news etc. Nothing major.
    Would I really notice that big of a difference in speed? 1.5 mbps is still alot faster than dialup. I understand that download speed is dependant on the server that you go to. If there was only a way I could limit my speed as a test to see how slow it would be without actually changing it. Is there?

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

Default Re: Internet Speed, Is 7mb/sec worth it?

i would say 1.5 mbps is enough !

that is what i run and pay 10$ for it, never had a problem

LOUD AND PROUD !

Quote Originally Posted by GT40_GearHead View Post
    i would say 1.5 mbps is enough !

that is what i run and pay 10$ for it, never had a problem
    $10? thru who? Cox wants to charge me $26.95 for 1.5. I'm currently paying 42.95 for 7mbps.

Oops nevermind, Just saw you are in Romainia.

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

well i don't know if it would be important through whom, remember i live in Romania lol

basically RDS is my provider

LOUD AND PROUD !

No, you won't notice a difference. The only time you would is in downloading movies via the net(youtube), or in downloading programs. That would be marginally slower. Outside of that, some big, gaudy sites might take an extra 20 seconds to load. No big deal.

If you don't download, you really don't need more that 1.5mbit right now.

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

7Mb/s is great! Thats what mine is...

Anyone else here have Comcast? Cause they are a monopoly in my area. Which is too bad cause not only do they charge way too much but their service kinda sux.

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    7Mb/s is great! Thats what mine is...

Anyone else here have Comcast? Cause they are a monopoly in my area. Which is too bad cause not only do they charge way too much but their service kinda sux.
    I have Comcast. I pay for 6mb and get very close to 8mb down. Only had a few problems with them, but not for very long. Try ATT for the DSL service. They should have it in your area. (have it pretty much everywhere in the US.)
    I only get about 385 up though which is worse than the dsl service I used to have. I only switched because they gave me a great deal on cable and internet access.

Here's a little known fact; If you call up your cable/dsl provider and tell them you are switching to dsl/cable (reverse of what you have), and ask them if they have any incentives for staying with (insert provider name here). Otherwise tell them you are not happy with your service and that is why you are switching. Most of the time they will reduce your cable/dsl monthly rate if you sign a year contract. They way I did it was to call Comcast and ask if they had any incentives for switching to cable from dsl, they gave me a rate of $32.95/mo for a year when the BEST advertised price was $49.95/mo. That recently ran out so I am now up to $45.95 (the lowest I could get them to go), without a contract. I had planned on calling ATT to see what kind of incentive they have.

Play the internet providers like cell phone companies and get the best rates...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Get the Verizon Fios DSL 10mb/S +Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Eclecticos View Post
    Get the Verizon Fios DSL 10mb/S +Plus
    Too bad they don't offer that service many places yet.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

wow, my internet is slow. I only get 1.1 to 2.5 mbps. Comcast must be behind in the Chicagoland area. I would say pocket that extra cash, even with my internet nothing takes more than 15 seconds to load unless its youtube or a massive flash file.