Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surface Computing

Default Surface Computing

In development since 2001, unveiled today was the Microsoft Surface computing table. It uses cameras inside the table to sense multiple hand movements (not a standard touchscreen) for surface interaction. The first commercial application will be for hotel and retail kiosks.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Default Re: Surface Computing

Sweet, shoudl only be about $40,000 when they release it.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

So... whats the difference between that and touch screens? Aren't they basically the same thing?

Hmm, maybe I'm confused.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Austral Alien

Touch screens (from what I've seen and used anyway) only allow ONE input at a time. Try with 2 fingers in two spots and it gets confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Touch screens (from what I've seen and used anyway) only allow ONE input at a time. Try with 2 fingers in two spots and it gets confused.

The cash registers at work have touch screens and if you put two fingers on it it'll be "selecting" the point in between your two fingers. On my PDA it just gets all screwy.

EDIT: Just looked at the MS:S (Microsoft Surface, yeah, I'm lazy or whatever...), it looks freakin' cool. I'm trying to think of how awesome that would be for gaming... guess it depends on whether you get used to it or not...

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

ha ha o just messed with an ATM machine =)

on topic: that thing looks cool, wonder how much 000 will it have in its price

LOUD AND PROUD !

Amazing. Looks like the panel from StarTrek.

I'm just gonna wait for the MS:Teleporter to comeout.

. . Now the thing to do would be to create something you could sell on there.

Quote Originally Posted by rendermandan View Post
    Sweet, shoudl only be about $40,000 when they release it.
    $40,000! I'll have 2 please, one for the front room, and one for the toilet i think!

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I remember seeing something like this about a year ago from some German(maybe?) research firm.. I think they were originally doing it a table top interface.. something for a bars and such. Way to go MS.. someone else comes up with a cool idea, buy it and sell it as your own.

I got an email about this just this morning from another geek friend of mine, and then I turned on CNN, and it was there, and then came here, and here it is.

It's definitely cool technology, I can see this being a great item to have in EOC (Emergency Operation Centers) for disaster events.. realtime tracking of assets in the field with complete interactivity.. cool.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro