Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which OS to use?

Custom Title Honors

Default Which OS to use?

I have FreeBSD and SUSE 10.2 on disk. I was going to go with FreeBSD since a friend of mine has it installed and said he hasn't had a problem with it. The install went fine, but the problem is I don't know how to do anyting in it. I am not familiar with command prompt only screens. When it boots up, it comes to login screen, I login, the cursor drops and waits for me to enter in my command. The screenshots I've seen had regular windows type desktops. What did I do or not do wrong?

Currently I installed SUSE 10.2 since I have used it before (not for this application though), but I am pretty sure it is more resource demanding then FreeBSD and it isn't a great computer.

Specs:
    P4 2Ghz 400FSB
    768 DDR Memory
    40GB IDE hard drive
    1- CD-Rom Drive

I plan to run a counter strike server from this and would like to get the most out of it. Any info and advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
    Outlaw

P.S- Does anyone know any good websites for linux software?

Default Re: Which OS to use?

In the prompt, type "startx". If you have X11 installed, you'll come to a desktop. If not, you'll get an error, in which case you'll need to install a desktop.

For software, SourceForge.net.
    RIP Bucko

Custom Title Honors

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    In the prompt, type "startx". If you have X11 installed, you'll come to a desktop. If not, you'll get an error, in which case you'll need to install a desktop.

For software, SourceForge.net.

When it comes to Linux I am a noob. What is X11? I am using FreeBSD v6.2 which I downloaded from here if that helps. How hard is it to install a desktop? or should I just stick with SUSE or is there a better system?? Oh and I have Ubuntu also. I don't know which would be the best for my situation.

Thanks for the link and fast response! +rep

does anything happen when u hit startx?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Custom Title Honors

Sorry I shoulda said I am not at home right now. I will try tonight when I get home and update. I was just looking for more info since it was somewhat slow here right now.

I didn't try the d'load link to verify this, but it looks like that frebsd distro has the x11 bits you need, provided they were selected during the install phase. Depending on the choices you make, some distro's will not install any x-windows stuff if you select "server only" during install.

Like calumc and Mal said, try "startx" it should start a minimal X-server which will start a desktop manager. If not then it did not get installed. Once you use the gui tools to set everything up for your counter strike server I would not run any windowing services on that system or it could effect the performance. You can try with and without to see for sure. hint: init levels...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Custom Title Honors

cool, thx, I will give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks guys.

When you're done trying that out and getting it to work, could you post a little something about it? I've got FreeBSD on a disk in my drawer somewhere but I don't have a computer to install on, and if you like it I'll try it on VMware.

Also, if you get a message like "startx: command not found" then Xorg isn't installed. Here's how you install it with FreeBSD.

Edit: I didn't even see this was going to be for a CS server. If that's the case, then it's good you aren't using SuSE. It's just as resource hungry as any new OS right now. If you're up to it, you could install the server software from the command line without a GUI, or do what AB said and turn off the desktop once you're done.
    RIP Bucko

Custom Title Honors

well i dont have any experience with either way. I am trying to get online the sametime on of my friends is on (We are in dif states). So if someone was willing to walk me through it, "dee dee dee" style, i would go through it which ever way they told me to. I don't know if it's right, but I also downloaded prior to this what I think is the HLDS files. Not sure if that matters but thought I would mention it.

Thanks again guys.

not to go to off subject, Maleficus, when you say dairy state, do you mean Cali. or Wis.?

If you need some help, I'll be on AIM sometime soon (if you have AIM).

Native Cali, but moved to Wisconsin Besides having my sisters, I'd say that was the worst idea my parents have ever had.

JK . Sort of.
    RIP Bucko