Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vista tips?

Default Re: Vista tips?

Also if you are having problems running programs or trying to play games (usually online) you'll have to right click on the shortcut go to properties click on the compatibility tab and check the "run as administrator" box (You can see it in previous posted picture). I've had to do this mostly for games but there was 1 program (which I forget of course) that I had to do it to as well.
    Last edited by Killa_Ape; 06-12-2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Forgot compatibility tab doh

Fresh Paint

I would agree with you on the if you set yourself up to hate it idea. I got the Ultimate edition because Microsoft is going to stop system builder support for XP really soon. I got it to play around and learn before I was forced to switch. I was a tester in beta and the amount of bugs is down from when I first used it to release. Is it perfect no, but it is very nice to look at. The dreamscenes are a nice touch.

UAC is annoying to me, I turned mine off. While it's a great idea to stop people from accidently deleting any important files, most of us here are more 'advanced' users.

Only downside is the lack of driver support. I own a Razer AC-1, still no drivers for it. Heck I'm on Razers beta tester team and I don't even have a beta driver. How's that?

Who knows, from what I've been reading the first service pack is coming out early. Only time will tell.

Oh, I wasnt hating on Vista. I have yet to even use it yet (still saving for a new rig). However I cant stand XP's constant annoying tooltip popups, especially the ones out of the system tray. I dont need to know my virus definitions are out of date, or if im connecting to a wireless network, or any other number of things.

The only useful one is the battery warning on my laptop.

Its actually third-party stuff (like anti-virus) more then XP itself that has continuous pop-ups. I disable as much as I can, but many programs dont give you the option. Would be nice if Vista had a method of "block all tool-tips from this program" option.

Overclocked

Something I really like from Vista, is that you can control your programs volume direcly from the Mixer. Lets say there a software running but you can't shut it's own volume, you go in the Mixer and lower it right there, while keeping all the other softwares at a nominal settings.

But I don't like the lack of multi-channel audio, and it takes AGES to start, Ill have to dual-boot with XP some day in the hope to see a performance increase in my games.

IVe got a "gaming system" but Im almost sad about the results, here it is:
    Asus G1
    T7200 (2GHz, 4Mb Cache, DualCore)
    2Gb RAM (bottleneck, as Vista tells me with his stupid overall computer score)
    GeForce Go 7700 512Mb (bottleneck, as Ive heard on many forums)
    160Gb HD

And Battlefield 2 at 1680x1050 resolution, only playable at Medium video settings for heavy loaded maps, and High for singleplayer/16 player maps. Deceiving for such a system.

And the UAC is really something boring, shutted it down and everything's okay now. ^^

Fresh Paint

There was an article on Tom's Hardware about a problem with Vista, Raptors and Nvidia G80's. Quiet a detailed analysis and there is a temporary hack to limit the problem on there too.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/0...sta/index.html

Looks like I'm gonna have problems when I upgrade next week. I also heard of a problem with deleting large files (talking about a couple of gig's worth) where it was taking over an hour to delete them. Anyone had that problem at all?
    Sometimes, in order to maintain your authority in
    the face of criticism you have to make stuff up.

I've deleted massive 2-3 gig files and it didn't take a hour (probably a couple mins at most), but the estimated time it takes on the box said like 3 hours then would correct itself when there was 15 seconds left, but almost all other versions of windows did this so I'm not really surprised. Biggest problem I've had with vista is drivers for motherboard and video card (not an issue now but when it first came out it was) but otherwise it runs well now.

Fresh Paint

Thx Killa. I was a little worried about that problem ever since I read about it on The Register. Maybe it was sorted in a patch.

Still a bit concerned about the Vista, Raptor and nVidia 8800/8600 problem though. I will be getting an 8800 soon and I have a Raptor as my main drive already. I would like to give Vista a go but the last thing I want is for my system to be unreliable. Has anyone else got this setup and had problems with it?

Thx in advance
    Sometimes, in order to maintain your authority in
    the face of criticism you have to make stuff up.

best vista tip ever: avoid it like the plague dont be another fool who digs the eye candy... vista is a bug riddin peice of crap OS thats been patched together by a room full of drunken monkeys... heh u ever hear about the issues with its voice command? if somebody could auto exec a mp3 with voice commands on it... it can disable things like ur firewall and ya AV...i tried vista with an open mind.... and saw it for what it was.... crap.... too many driver issues...complete resource whore... and basicaly... a waste of time...get a theme pack... install it on a copy of XP MCE 2005 and u have vista...
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Well now you have me wondering. Was about to set up dual boot with Vista Business to replace my Windows 2000 Install (what I love to bits but what got broke on Monday and needs all drivers reinstalling).

Replacing a well known friend with an ill-thought out resource-whore?

Maybe Im going to start looking at Linux after all.

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Well now you have me wondering. Was about to set up dual boot with Vista Business to replace my Windows 2000 Install (what I love to bits but what got broke on Monday and needs all drivers reinstalling).

Replacing a well known friend with an ill-thought out resource-whore?

Maybe Im going to start looking at Linux after all.
    Maybe you could try using the OS that you skipped: XP Pro or XP MCE! From what I hear, it's quite popular.