Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good CPU Cooler for OCing

Austral Alien

Default Re: Good CPU Cooler for OCing

I plan on using the standard Intel heatsink to overclock my E6600. These copper core heatsinks seem to handle it fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    I plan on using the standard Intel heatsink to overclock my E6600. These copper core heatsinks seem to handle it fine.
    Yeah, copper is good for OC'ing. I've actually heard of some decent results with the stock heatsink.

I would stay away from those kinds of water setups though. They may work decently for what you're doing, but in the end they aren't all they're cracked up to be. No upgradablility, only cooling your CPU (and thus making it not silent, unless you have silent fans), and according to the chart Snow posted, it's really only getting temps. comparable to a high-end air cooler (like the ones posted). If I were you I'd get a nice aircooler, and then make the water upgrade when you have enough for a complete setup.
    RIP Bucko

Overclocked

if you want the best aftermarket air cooler then get the arctic freezer 7 pro, not gigantinc and cools like a beast, 6 heat pipes throughout aluminum fins and a copper base connecting to the heatpipes. 92 mm fan that it comes with is 20 db, quieter than anything else in your case. helps to cool the board too, the bottom few fins are bent down so it cools your pwms on the way out.ill get a newegg link to it since i need a new one too, hint NEVER drop a light into your fan, the fanblade WILL break off youWILL superglue it back on and it WILL vibrate like a mother f'er, and it will still cool like a beast.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134
    viola
    "Two people can keep a secret only if one is dead." Abraham Lincoln

there was a all-in-one type cpu cooler but i don't remember it and can't find it. the pump, rad, cpu block were all together in one fairly big assembly. someone mentioned it on these forums if you want to look.

here are some kits i found ranging from 59.99 - 87.99

cooler 1

cooler 2

cooler 3

cooler 4

i would post more stuff and look some more but i'm at work with a ****ty keyboard.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Oooh, I like the cooler master and second thermaltake.

But look at one of the reviews for the thermaltake:
    MY IT'S COOLING AN ATHLON X2 4800+ OVERCLOCKED TO 2.65 mhz and keeps it around 39-44 degrees I have been using mine for over 1 1/2 years without problems. Recomend this product 100%
    2.65MHz? and you needed watercooling! lol

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Yeah, copper is good for OC'ing. I've actually heard of some decent results with the stock heatsink.

I would stay away from those kinds of water setups though. They may work decently for what you're doing, but in the end they aren't all they're cracked up to be. No upgradablility, only cooling your CPU (and thus making it not silent, unless you have silent fans), and according to the chart Snow posted, it's really only getting temps. comparable to a high-end air cooler (like the ones posted). If I were you I'd get a nice aircooler, and then make the water upgrade when you have enough for a complete setup.
    I would actually agree. If your going to water cool to overclock, at least spend around $180. That is probably the lowest price for a custom kit. You might be able to find a cheaper pre-assembled kit from like DD or Swiftech though, which are both excellent brands. In comparison to the Silent Water, it would be an 100%+ improvement to build a custom kit.

In the end, I would say the TT Silent Water is the best of the very low cost water coolers, but even that said, its only as good as a Zalman CPNS 9500. Until you take into mind that the Silent Water will only last you till it starts breaking down, probably due to the cheap pump they used to get such a low price. (fyi, a good pump is around $70). Which is why maintenance should be a high priority. I believe WC Maintenance can be found in HERE. It's not too difficult, it mostly involves swapping out the coolant every other month ...if you even need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    there was a all-in-one type cpu cooler but i don't remember it and can't find it. the pump, rad, cpu block were all together in one fairly big assembly. someone mentioned it on these forums if you want to look.

here are some kits i found ranging from 59.99 - 87.99

*Links In Original Post*

i would post more stuff and look some more but i'm at work with a ****ty keyboard.

Cooler Master Aquagate S1
    . Hmmm, I've actually never heard of that one before! Must be new?

Review

Doesn't really say much, seems that reviews are still kind of scarce for that product right now.

But, from first glance, it looks like a bad investment to me. Who in their right mind puts the pump on top the waterblock? Is it just me, or does that sound like a bad idea? In any case, that excuse for a pump is exactly that, an excuse for a pump. Maybe this is why there are no real reviews yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    Oooh, I like the cooler master and second thermaltake.

But look at one of the reviews for the thermaltake:

2.65MHz? and you needed watercooling! lol
    Noobs buy noobish stuff. The TT Silent Water isn't your solution, its your introduction. Like I said, it's only as good as a good Zalman. Even then, the quality won't match a Zalman. You can still get the kit, although I won't guarantee it will be your solution. If anything, the TT Silent Water is _not_ for overclocking, but rather for silent and effective cooling. ...or for someone who just wants to say they are water cooled. lol

If you want, I could spend some time and help build a custom kit for you. But like I said, it will be around $180USD if not more. I think thats a wee bit high for what you wanted to spend right? lol

Here are some other kits that are pretty good. This first one here definitely gets my vote. Good pump, great water block ...Actually, this kit is very similar to what I would build, but slightly cheaper.

*This list is in order from from what I like the most to what I like the least. It is all IMO.

**Although, I think most would agree with the Swiftech Premium as a great kit. :p

Swiftech H2O-120 Premium - on Newegg

Swiftech H2O-80 Micro - on Newegg

CoolIt Eliminator - on Newegg
    Last edited by Zephik; 06-02-2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Editing, Editing, Editing!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

here is the all-in-one rad, pump, cpu block product i was talking about

Evercool WC-601 Silver Knight Self Contained CPU Water Cooler
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    here is the all-in-one rad, pump, cpu block product i was talking about

Evercool WC-601 Silver Knight Self Contained CPU Water Cooler

Rubbish. :p
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

haha i remember you saying that... you said the water loop was to small i think.

I also recommend the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7, as I have that in my current pc. e6300, asus p5nsli, 2x7600gs(dont ask me why two of those...like 40bucks a pop on newegg so i couldnt resist when i built this last year)...etc etc. (Will get that into a sig when i have time hehe).

Awesome cooler and pretty cheap price. Im normally at like 30-33C at idle, and 34-35C at load. not bad. When it gets hot, temps go up a lil but not much...

Although I was pissed when temps jumped up to 110 in my room about 3 weeks ago. Temps were hitting 50's it was so hot. So i went and got an air conditioner. hehe.

awesome cooler though, especially for the price. Think i got mine for like 25bucks or something...been a while