Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good CPU Cooler for OCing

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Good CPU Cooler for OCing

Well, I've come to realize that my Coolermaster heatsink isn't working so great for overclocking. So I'd like to step it up...
    What Socket 775 CPU cooler would you recommend?
    Im currently Idling at 38 and am at 50 after hours of gaming. I know those temps aren't bad but Im planning to OC alot more. Im looking for the same or lower temps (w/ OCing) in the new cooler. The only limit is that I don't want to spend more than $50 unless its really worth it.

Thanx,
    Indybird

Default Re: Good CPU Cooler for OCing

I just bought an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro. Hasn't arrived yet, but I've heard good things about it. On sale too at Xoxide.com. Otherwise...

Zalman CPNS9500

Thermaltake Blue Orb II

Sythe Ninja
    Last edited by Bucko; 06-01-2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: fixing links
    RIP Bucko

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

My Pentium 4 2.8GHz never once was even warm with the Thermaltake Blue Orb II. My case never had a side panel or a top though, so that might of had an affect where having a closed case would not.

Don't the C2D's run cooler than any other processor though? Hmmm.

Well anyway, the coolers Mal listed are all great coolers. I would say that the Zalman would be the best out of the three though. But then again, I'm not sure of the Ninja, I haven't really heard much on it other than a few mentions here and there. Might have to google for some reviews.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I forgot to add, I don't want any think to massive ( no taller than 5")
    Thanks for the recommendations...
    Is there any cooler that particularly sticks out?

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    I just bought an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro. Hasn't arrived yet, but I've heard good things about it. On sale too at Xoxide.com. Otherwise...

Zalman CPNS9500

Thermaltake Blue Orb II

Sythe Ninja
    I have a Ninja.. it's BIIIIG.

Freezer 7 Pro is killer.. i had one before the ninja.. I regret selling it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Maybe look into water cooling? Small, Silent and Effective. Lil on the pricey side though, but worth it if you have an interest in it. It's very satisfying to have built a successful LCS (liquid cooled system) as well as to have a higher overclock than you could get with traditional methods (air cooling).
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

thats what i would recomeend but you don't want a big one so i'm not sure.
    i would get the Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme but it won't fit in my case with my 250mm fan
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

now im all pumped up about watercooling.

Note: I understand the following is an extremely noobish question.
    Can someone recommend a good, cheap wc (CPU only) configuration (or pre-built system)? Once again im planning to spend around $50. Absolutely no more than $75. And lastly I want something that doesn't take up either a card slot or my rear 120mm fan.

Thanks,
    Indybird

Quote Originally Posted by Indybird View Post
    now im all pumped up about watercooling.

Note: I understand the following is an extremely noobish question.
    Can someone recommend a good, cheap wc (CPU only) configuration (or pre-built system)? Once again im planning to spend around $50. Absolutely no more than $75. And lastly I want something that doesn't take up either a card slot or my rear 120mm fan.

Thanks,
    Indybird
    The only watercooler that I would recommend (<- I use that world lightly btw) thats under $75 is the TT Silent Water. But I don't know about OC'ing with it... I'll look into that and get back to you.

Btw. The TT Silent Water is around $60USD and is pre-assembled/filled. Basically, its ready to go out of the box. But again, I'll get back to you on that with its overclocking abilities, if any.

**Update**

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/silentwater/