Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another 'Is this possible' thread

Last Thoughts

Default Another 'Is this possible' thread

So I was doing the daily browsing for random stuff on the internet,and I stumbled on a guy named Benjamin Heckendorn,Creator of the laptop 360.Yes you heard right,some guy made a xbox 360 in to a laptop looking thing. (pics)

Its water cooled, Its got a 17 inch screen,and it sucks up a huge amount of power.Solution?Plug it in to the wall.Alternative?None.

I think the power is the only fault with this mod (and that theres not a PS3 inside :3).So what I'm wondering is there some way to get some sort of rechargeable battery capable of that kinda power?I know thats a bold question,but the thought had crossed my mind to have a look at my sisters old broken laptop,and see what all is needed to recharge the batter and to actually use the power from it.I'm not saying im going to actually attempt this,I was just wondering if there was some way of doing this.And I'm fully aware that it would be really hard to find a laptop that has a 300 watt (or so) battery,It was just an idea to kick things off.Lets say that it is possible,and for all I know it may be,is it thin enough to fit inside a reasonable sized laptop chassis.Im not at all an electronic wiz (and this may very well prove it) but is there someway to make a laptop battery produce more watts?

Keep in mind this is more of a random question thread rather than a mod thread.Im honestly just curious if this is possible.Thanks,and sorry if I sound really stupid (because I really am). :p

Last Thoughts

Default Re: Another 'Is this possible' thread

A quick update.i just broke apart my sisters spare (useless) battery for the crappy dell latitude (the half broken one.) and as dumb as it is i didt actually expect to see actual batteries in there.I thought it was just one big battery.Theres actually 8 daisy-chained up to the circuit board.So this might work with some upgrades.Quick question.Theres 8 batteries.They all add up to 14.8 volts,I'm estimating that Heckendorn's project would need at least 300 watts.How much more batteries would I need to power it.The way I see it,this thing can be upgraded to the hearts content.At least I hope so.Another question that comes to mind is with enough batteries to power a 360,a water cooler,and a lcd,wouldn't you have to modify a charger?Otherwise it could probley take days to charge it up fully,at least I think it would.

That aside,lets say that this will work,where might I find Sony Energytec STG G3 Batteries.I looked at just buying another Dell Latitude battery and it was 99$,money I'm not willing to spend on a project I may never even start (which by the way like I said above,this is basically just to get my mind thinking again :-D )

And also,when and if this actually does kick off as my first project (not saying it will),where could I buy material for the casing of the whole thing.My uncle has rolls of alluminum (he makes gutters for houses) but they are obviously to thin.I would need something way more strong.Ben Heckendorn,used .88" aluminum as a casing, But the problem is that I dont have a way to weld metal together.I have all the ideas,I just have none of the tools.Plastic would get to hot and melt most likely,so thats another area Im stuck in.

Any info on anything above would be nice.Thanks ^_^

Overclocked

uhhhh if you had a battery for that thing that COULD do that the batt would prob be the size of the laptop. nw if you got a portable generator then maybe
    "Two people can keep a secret only if one is dead." Abraham Lincoln

If you are looking for something light enough to carry around to run this thing, you may be out of luck. If you are looking for something to make it a bit more portable, like take it camping or something, you could go with a UPS.. why not go all the way, and add a solar panel to recharge it?

Like these guys did with a Wii...

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

ive used them before, but froget where to get them. they weigh like, 20 pounds, so would not work at all for a laptop...
    it also costs like $700 if I remember correctly.
    no offense at all...but from the way you described the batteries in the laptop, its clear you dont really know much about power. I would highly suggest you dont start messing around with those batteries. attaching any more in the wrong way could hurt you, if not kill you. not to mention the amount you would need...
    dont start messing around with laptop batteries if you dont know what your doing. they could easily hurt you...in my opinion much more then standard AC wall power could.

Last Thoughts

Yeah I see what your saying MooJoe, I'm not the best at electronics, in fact far from it.I haven't been meesing around with them,they are still in the same position as when they were when I opened it up.Not to worry,I'm not stuborn enough to start messing with them.

ya thats real, its the same laptop as this but new colours
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Last Thoughts

I'm actually wondering what it would be like to have a ps2 like this.Obviously the keyboard wouldnt be as useful,and not to mention theres no water cooler.But on the upside,It oviously has a 100 x less power consumption then a 360.And since I have a PS2 (the original,not slim) I guess I can poke around on google.Unless of course someone knows how much volts the PS2 needs.And for those of you that are worried that I'm going to kill myself in the process,not to worry,I'm not doing anything without a pro to assist me.I beleive I read that PS2 takes 8.5 volts,I'm not sure this is accurate,but seeing how the laptop uses a 14 volt battery,It is very likely.

Once again this is not a project (atleast as of yet) but more like a study.Thanks!

well i went to do some research and came upon this little tidbit of info about the ps2 from wiki.

Controversy
    Before the PS2 was even released in Japan, there were controversies over the capabilities of the PS2. Japan initially imposed export restrictions on the PS2, and it was even said to be able to guide ballistic missiles.[18]
    In 2000, four thousand PS2 units ended up in Iraq after being purchased from the USA and delivered by different couriers.[19] Iraq was then ruled by dictator Saddam Hussein.
    but yes on my ps2 adaptor it says 8.5volts.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

That's classified.

Sorry to say it but this is a very different laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    ya thats real, its the same laptop as this but new colours
    No, it's not the same one...

The original one is water-cooled. It uses a custom radiator too.

The one you posted a picture of is his second 360 Laptop. This one is air-cooled. Ben Heck worked with Engadget and posted directions on how to make this new one.

As far as using a battery with the 360 (in any form): forget it. I'm not trying to sound harsh but the kind of battery you would need to power the 360 would be large, heavy, and powerful enough to kill you. Using a UPS will work but will only last you about 20 minutes so what's the point?

In addition to this, don't mess with laptop batteries. They have a possibility to kill you but you most likely would just get shocked. The dangerous part of them is their tendency to blow-up in your face if you short circuit even a single cell.

Links for the first water-cooled version:
    -Summary
    -Work-log

Links for the second air-cooled version:
    -Picture gallery
    -Building it Part 1
    -Building it Part 2
    -Building it Part 3

I take no responsibility if you kill or injure yourself doing the battery thing.