Thread: Plexiglass Case

Fresh Paint

Default Plexiglass Case

I'm hoping to make this case ATX AND Reverse-ATX compatible (possibly BTX also). The PSU is going to be mounted on the bottom. Right next to that there will be a little place for three HDDs and another one next to that. (sketches to come)

I'm hoping for three to eight 5.25in drive bays on the front.
    The side doors are going to be super-funky, cause I like being different. Double doors on both sides with chrome handles (oooh yeah) and shiny hinges.

I heard that plexiglass generates a lot of static electricity so I'm working on puting a small aluminum frame on the outside of each edge.

I've got the sides, front, and back cut out. I'm not sure what material to make the bottom. Lightweight wood painted black or UV?

any suggestions or help, especially with making the aluminum frame, would be welcomed. This is my first big project like this.

Default Re: Plexiglass Case

Hi! I am working on a project semi-similar to yours as well. I am putting the PSU on the bottom of the case as well, although I am not planning on making it other form factor compatible. The case I am making is made of plexi (well lexan as far as i know) and aluminum. I have quite a few sketches, but my printer/scanner is freaking out and my girlfriend is off at a graduation cruise with the camera. . But our projects seem very similar(although will probably end up quite different). Tommorrow im heading off to pick up some more tools and get to building the case.

I have quite a few sketches (just basic, no major artistic quality lol), and I got really bored and anxious waiting for supplies from my girlfriends brother who works at a local hardware store, so I made a life-size cardboard mockup. I highly recommend doing this...It helped put my ideas into perspective and i can use the mockup parts as a complete basis for the actual parts and cuts.

For the bottom of the case, im using the same acrylic im using for the rest of the case. That might work for you too...not sure. Tommorrow i can try to get copies of my sketches up for you for ideas for you to branch off of if you want. Its basic but I think it will come out nice, and you might find something useful.

What I'm building:

Plexi/aluminum case
    custom fan controller
    stealthed dvd/cd drives
    psone lcd screen on the front of the case
    making fan grills

and if all that goes well i will make my own waterblocks and build a custom wc setup.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, just thought i might help give you some ideas if you needed them. Seeing as how we are thinking along similar lines with the acrylic/aluminum case. When i get it started morrow I will take pics, and try to get a thread going for it...but i will show you how im attaching the aluminum to the acrylic...if you want. Just drilling and riveting.

And I know this is my first post been hovering around the forum for quite a long time just reading and researching ...mostly planning my case. Just never took the time to register and say hi. Seems like a great community, cant wait to ask for help, and give any that i may

That's classified.

Quote Originally Posted by nategr8ns View Post
    I'm hoping to make this case ATX AND Reverse-ATX compatible.
    Those are the same thing..."reverse" ATX is just an ATX motherboard installed upside down...

I heard that plexiglass generates a lot of static electricity so I'm working on putting a small aluminum frame on the outside of each edge.
    That isn't really necessary: the unpainted metal on the inside of the case will ground it.

any suggestions or help, especially with making the aluminum frame, would be welcomed. This is my first big project like this.
    Well, most people start with a case and then use that frame, but there is a place to buy frame rails to make plexi cases. I just don't know the site...

Quote Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
    plexi (well lexan as far as i know)
    Lexan is simply a very hard type of plexiglass. (It's also semi-bulletproof after a certain thickness, I believe)

I have quite a few sketches
    If you want, you can create a 3D mockup on the computer. Most people here use Google SketchUp which is free. (There are various threads on here on where to get it.)

And I know this is my first post been hovering around the forum for quite a long time just reading and researching ...mostly planning my case. Just never took the time to register and say hi. Seems like a great community, cant wait to ask for help, and give any that i may
    Welcome to TBCS forums, both of you.

Fresh Paint

several years ago I had tap plastics make me a box and I am just now getting around to turning it in to a computer case, so I am very interested in what you find out/ come up with.
    That still counts as one!!!