Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Help

Default Re: Linux Help

Interesting side note re: NTFS and Ubuntu.

I have an external HDD formatted with NTFS that contains all my music and video shares. I can access it as an SMB share just fine.. just a thought.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Ahhh, all this talk about Linux makes me miss it...

Anyone have a recommendation on a distro? I had Ubuntu 6.06, 6.10, and Gentoo on my system at one point, but after formatting my HDD, I can't decide if I want to go to Fedora, Arch, or back to Ubuntu. There's lots of good talk about Fedora, and Ubuntu is familiar to me, but Arch looks very promising. Hell, maybe I'll install two of them lol.
    Last edited by .Maleficus.; 06-11-2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Need to learn to spell.
    RIP Bucko

Check out Sabayon... very interesting so far.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Check out Sabayon... very interesting so far.
    Isn't Sabayon just a LiveCD installer for programs and X for Gentoo?
    RIP Bucko

i vote for fedora, i've used meny distros, and i think my fav has to be Fedora 7 sofar, Has Gnome and KDE, so you can select which you want, YUM is now much easier to work with, and you have the advantage of RPM's, and with Red Hat being soooo HUGE there is sooo meny apps packed into RPM's already its unbeleabable,

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    i vote for fedora, i've used meny distros, and i think my fav has to be Fedora 7 sofar, Has Gnome and KDE, so you can select which you want, YUM is now much easier to work with, and you have the advantage of RPM's, and with Red Hat being soooo HUGE there is sooo meny apps packed into RPM's already its unbeleabable,
    Alright XcOM, I'll take your word for it and download FC7 (all I have now is 5 and 6). I'll definitely have to make sure to get the Gnome version though.
    RIP Bucko

if you get the install DVD, it has both KDE and Gnome with it, just select it when installing Feo, when you come to login, just select which you would like to load with the session option.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I'm downloading the LiveSpin. With our **** internet connection, it would take a week to download the install DVD. My download should be done in a few minutes .

Edit: Posting this from my new install. Things are pretty nice so far, though there was a little problem with the internet at first. It was trying to connect with the ethernet port that doesn't have a wire plugged in
    RIP Bucko

You seem to be stood on my tail... Helix666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    It was trying to connect with the Ethernet port that doesn't have a wire plugged in
    I do that a lot, and it's frustrating. You change every single bloody setting possible imaginable, trying to get an internet connection. Then you finally decide to follow the cable, leading to... an RJ45 lying on the floor. (Or more likely for me, a router that isn't plugged into the mains. )

But, barring errata like that, I've never had any problems (well, that can be attributed to anything other than PEBKAC. :p )

(Mal, you want to try downloading a DVD on a DialUp internet connection. Took me a month.)

</random_chatter>
    Quote Originally Posted by gntlkilr
    warranties are meant to be voided.
    Turns out, they'll let any idiot with a wrench work on hydraulics.

Quote Originally Posted by Helix666 View Post
    I do that a lot, and it's frustrating. You change every single bloody setting possible imaginable, trying to get an internet connection. Then you finally decide to follow the cable, leading to... an RJ45 lying on the floor. (Or more likely for me, a router that isn't plugged into the mains. )

But, barring errata like that, I've never had any problems (well, that can be attributed to anything other than PEBKAC. :p )

(Mal, you want to try downloading a DVD on a DialUp internet connection. Took me a month.)

</random_chatter>
    Haha, I was talking about the port on my mobo that didn't have the cable plugged in (dual LAN ports, one cable plugged in) but your story is funnier.

And I know how you feel about the downloads. We have DSL here, but I _rarely_ get download times faster than dial-up ((~30kbs) If that's reasonable for dial-up, I haven't used it in a long time). I _have_ to use a torrent for everything, because it would take years to download all the Linux ISOs I have.
    RIP Bucko