Thread: Front Panel Woe

Anodized

Default Front Panel Woe

I'm trying to work out what to do about a particularly ugly front panel... But with limited success. Its an old server case and has a hinged door for its front panel which allowed access to a odd SCSI arangement which I have scrapped. The problem is the door is hideous. The most obvious solution would be to loose it but making a new front plate looks like it would be very difficult.

The door is also very thick and curved which would make mounting a front fan quite difficult and awkward.

Here's a couple of pictures:

Ugly isn't it. And all curves just to make things easy...

And what's underneath, notice those massive screws holding the side panel on. That makes a new front rather hard. As do the millions of holes right next to the side panels and the side panels themselves.

I think I'm stuck with that door unless anyone has any particularly marvellous ideas (do they?). Any thoughts on how to make it look nicer.

The plan I had wanted a window over the massive hole and a fan under that with the power and reset buttons whereever (under disc drives probably) and 4 leds (power, HDD, lan1 and lan2). Any thought on how to make this look nice on that front...

Cheers

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Default Re: Front Panel Woe

Look here for an idea.

That's what I'd try to do anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

i'm a noob, so maybe i'm just talking out of my ass here, but i look at that case and see nothing but possiblities!

bondo, dremel, nibler, glue, imagination.
    not necesarily in that order.

if you limit yourself to what's easy, you never find out what you are capable of.

you forgot glitter...

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cymae View Post
    you forgot glitter...
    He also forgot "scratch and sniff stickers".

lol I just thought of an idea for a case mod. "Scratch and Sniff" ...or maybe "Lick and Taste" like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

As for your issue Olen, DrumThumper is right on. Take a look through Defyants work, you'll be inspired and then some!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    ...or maybe "Lick and Taste" like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

Instead of Bondo you could plaster the front of it with peanut butter! And then add some random candies and there ya go! Instant garbage...

Just had to say something sarcastic, in no way do I mean to insult anyone here, particularly SnowFire. Just me and my stupid self warping an idea, lol.

I would Bondo the crap out of that door though, make it smooth and curved so it doesn't have all sorts of those ridges and crap and maybe scratch some sort of design or something onto it... maybe have a couple grooves with cathodes in them or something...

Fresh Paint

I would cover up the metal with a sheet of acrylic or something and paint it. You should be able to fit something like that between the door and the metal surface and still get the door to shut.

Overclocked

slice the whole door off and make a new front from bondo
    "Two people can keep a secret only if one is dead." Abraham Lincoln

Anodized

Ok cheers *slaps self for not checking this thread for a while*. I have indeed bondoed the hell out of it and sanded and painted and decided the finish as stil to crap the sanded again.

Will write up a worklog when I both have time and can be bothered. But I have a couple of other projects first.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I think that with a new paint job it may look O.K. You could cut out the part of teh door you don't like and put mesh there with some lighting. Or cut a design into it and use some perspex. I dunno, i got lots of ideas lol.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08