Thread: Super Easy Skulls *Airbrush Tutorial*

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Default Super Easy Skulls *Airbrush Tutorial*

This is my latest tutorial. Super easy skulls. Painting skulls is ten times easier than it looks. It's mostly just freehand masking.

I started out with a blank panel and then painted some flames for a background. You can check out how to paint flames in my Realistic Flames Tutorial.

Then I sketched out the basic shape of the skull I wanted.

I cut out the outside outline of the skull and placed it on my background. Then I sprayed the base color of the skull which is obviously white.

After spraying the base color I start to use the cut out parts as freehand masks to create the shadows and lines on the skull. Remember it's these crisp lines that play tricks on the eyes and give the design an illusion of depth.

After laying down the basic shadows I unmask the skull and do the rest of the detail pretty much freehand.

This was a real mellow project for me. I wasn't going for great detail. I just wanted to get the feel of the sequence for the masking and shapes of the skull layout before I started doing any pro level skull work.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Default Re: Super Easy Skulls *Airbrush Tutorial*

Once again .. Very nice. When you get a chance can you elaborate on the shadowing a bit more?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Nicely done! That's pretty cool looking I gotta admit, I especially love how its not realistic looking. I've always liked skulls that are... almost cartoonish looking. Makes me wish I had an airbrush so I could try this! ><

Didn't you have a logo with a skull and wings in it or something at one time? Man I really like the way that looked! I thought of a perfect place for it on my laptop too! But I can't seem to find it... I think it might of been one of your old sigs?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    Didn't you have a logo with a skull and wings in it or something at one time? Man I really like the way that looked! I thought of a perfect place for it on my laptop too! But I can't seem to find it... I think it might of been one of your old sigs?
    Are you talking about this one?

Its on his Carbon Fire mod in the Completed Section.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=8037

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Are you talking about this one?
    *Bad Ass Image*

Its on his Carbon Fire mod in the Completed Section.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=8037
    Bingo! lol I knew I wasn't going crazy...

That is such a bad ass ?logo? though, I love it!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I just wanted to get the feel of the sequence for the masking and shapes of the skull layout before I started doing any pro level skull work.
    Dude, is there anything you do that ISN'T pro level? Awesome work! +rep

You are the man! You never fail to impress with you airbrush in hand.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Strip it, paint it, and love on it... Commando's Avatar

Ah, shucks... Thanks guys.

I appreciate it. I definitely plan on doing more and more tutorials. I've just been kinda busy lately with work and I'm knee deep in building a website that I'd like to launch in a couple of weeks. Nothing too fancy it's just all about building integrated web sites. It's just been sucking my free time big time.

I'm going to paint a laptop for Snowfire here soon I think that's gonna be a wicked cool project. We'll see how it goes. Of course I'll make a tutorial out of it or worklog or something.

We're not quite sure on the theme yet, but it will definitely rock.

Oh, by the way. The logo I used a while back is this. It's original and your welcome to use it. I have it as a .cdr file also if you want. Just PM me.

Thanks again.

Preddy Damn Spiffy!

Tony,
    Thanks for all the help. I always wanted to try airbrushing for a hobby but didn't know a thing about it. Watching your tutorials has really helped and so far it's going great! You mentioned something about an online source to get auto air paint at a reasonable price. Could you tell me what the name of that was? Thanks again.....and by the way, your work is awesome!