Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I. Quit. Smoking. =D

Default Re: I. Quit. Smoking. =D

I also quit smoking. I smoked for about 14 years and when my wife got pregnant I quit. Haven't touched on in almost 3 years. and I'm so glad I did.

Congrats on making it this far, the longer you go, the more you appreciate the fact that you quit.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slytherock View Post
    My grandfather died last year at the respectable age of 94, Smoking about 2 packs a day for more then 80 years. His death has nothing to do with smoking. And if it does, 94 is old enough...

BTW, congrat for that full year, I can't stand more then 2 days...
    Everyone is different. My grandmother smoked for a good fifty years. She fought cancer (started in her lungs, eventually took over her body) for the last 25 years of her life, which were smoke free. When she was first diagnosed, the doctor gave her 6 weeks to 6 months to live.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Anodized

Heh I as well quit about 3 months ago. I tossed a half a pack out the window and just said IM DONE. havent had one since. You have to decide you are done poisoning yourself for it to work. those who don't really want to quit never will. its just that simple. I dont even care about not smoking while drinking any more.

My friend read this great book to help him quit. it just gave all the info it could about smoking. then at the end of the book he quit. He keeps a card in his pocket that says.

Do not ever start to envy another smoker realize that he or she will be envious of you. you are not being deprived. The smoker is.

Remember you did not enjoy being a smoker. That's why you stopped. You enjoy being a non smoker.

Remember there is no such things as just once cigarette

Never Doubt your decision to smoke again. You know its the correct decision.

it really helped him. most of my friends are quitting smoking as well. I guess we all grew up at the same time eh?

Resident Alcoholic

The only thing I've ever smoked is weed (I've had a couple of straights but they didn't ever do anything for me... except for those chocolate devils you get in france with the chocolate and mint-chocolate rizlas . I only smoke weed about once a month or so at parties and with friends - and only when it's a mellow, safe environment.

I have a friend called Sean. His dad has MS and his mum has spent the past 20 years of her life drifting in and out of several different problems with her mental health. He smokes 2 packs a day and he HATES it. He is a complete stoner and it was smoking joints which got him hooked on tobacco. He has no money and his parents have none, so he uses his government education allowance to fund his weed and tobacco habits. He basicly had a break down on a school trip we were on in france a few weeks back and I did a deal with him - if he stops smoking for 3 months I will buy him a Respirator to smoke weed through cleanly. It's been a month so far and he's having huge trouble with it poor guy - quitting is realy screwing him up during his exams too.
    H

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

That is a good inspiration to never start smoking right there, from what I've seen, smoking is really expensive. One guy I used to talk to on occasion would smoke at least a pack a day, and with the prices from a few years ago I could've built a really kickass computer with that bill. It was like $1.5k. Well, that and a million other reasons against. I can't even think of a legit reason to smoke... no offense to those that do.

Behaviors people have aren't rationalized by health, money, or happiness. Never forget human action isn't logical or rational. It is rationalized. Big difference.

Some actions damage us, and yet we continue them. It's called vice and we all have it. It's a matter of how damaging it is to us and how much we let it consume us before we ignore the urge or try to stop it entirely.

oneleg, your friend needs professional medical help. He needs an addiction plan that suits him and where he will apply himself. If he can get that, he can quit. If not, his chances are slim to none. He will move into amphetamines or other hard stimulants as soon as the marijuana starts to lose its effect. It could be next year, it could be 20 years, but it does happen. At this stage, his chance is almost zero.

I still get the urge to smoke, or drink excessively, or indulge in my previous vices. I don't repress them. I allow them to run their course and then enjoy the fact that I'm stronger than my desires and I have enough discipline to better myself, because the dirty little secret is not many people have enough willpower to quit eating, smoking, drinking, watching, or doing any of the things that damage them and that they despise.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I need to work on my discipline. I get lazy and don't feel like doing anything so it takes a while for me to even get up to start doing whatever I need to do and it's a miracle if it ever gets done. I've managed to mow the entire yard over the course of a few days (it gets hot here and even with a riding lawn mower it takes a while to mow our lawn) and it looks great, something small to be proud of but not to focus on as I have more to do, so I need to get my ass out of this chair in front of my desk and do more stuff and not be a living dead hero. As in one that did great things but no longer does, one that brags about what they did but just annoy others with that and no longer function. I'm too young to do that, lol.

And yes nil8, I'm starting to realize it's not a logical world, if it were, it'd probably just be a cube of something and that's all that exists. Don't wanna become the Borg, or a depressed maniac... I keep standing at the edge of that cliff and staring down, and then jumping back, and then I start inching towards it again...
    Last edited by xRyokenx; 06-14-2007 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Some of it didn't make sense...

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    Everyone is different. My grandmother smoked for a good fifty years. She fought cancer (started in her lungs, eventually took over her body) for the last 25 years of her life, which were smoke free. When she was first diagnosed, the doctor gave her 6 weeks to 6 months to live.
    Don't want to justify my addiction here, and I have no choice then to agree with your statement. It's just that we put so easily the blame on cigarette, that I can't stand it anymore.

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Congratulation on kicking one of the hardest addictions to overcome. I have dealt with many addicts, and in my opinion due to the legality and (to a degree the social acceptance) smokers often struggle for many years to kick the habit. Congrats to all of the others who have quit as well. Some fun facts about smoking:
    -there are 599 additives combined with tobacco in an un-lit cigarete, over 4000 compunds are created by lighting it
    -nicotene is the only highly addictive drug that I am aware that provies no mood enhancing benefits to the user, it seems the only reason to use is to stave off withdrawl which becomes a life-long chase.
    -American Indians smoked tobacco for many years prior to the arrival of the Europeans with no known problems of addiction, it took Europeans to discover it's potential for abuse.

WARNING: These photos should not be viewed by anyone offended by or uncomfortable with photographic representations of the human body post-mortem.
    pathology photos of smoking related lung disease
    autopsy photo of "barrel-chested" man from who died from emphysema
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 06-14-2007 at 07:58 PM.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

The Flintstones bought to you buy Wintsons smokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD8Km2LXyng
    Need a sig