Thread: PS3 computer

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: PS3 computer

I still wouldn't buy one.

But glad to see it has some use other than for a cheap blu-ray disc player.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

from whati hear someone has also got vista to work on a ps3...but who would want vista :p

Yep, there's been talk of the PS3s ability to run Linux since it was first announced. Apparently Sony likes the idea of OSS and is encouraging game developement like they did with the PS2 Linux Kit. Now, you don't need anything but a PS3 to run Linux. But why you would spend $600 to run free software (that you can install on any POS computer) is beyond me. Besides saying, "I have Linux on my PS3".

Edit: Yellow Dog looks a lot like Fedora.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    But why you would spend $600 to run free software (that you can install on any POS computer) is beyond me. Besides saying, "I have Linux on my PS3".
    I dunno, because its a $600 7 cell 3.2Ghz processor computer, with Full HD 1080p x 2 channel (HDMIx2 output), Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM sound, built in Bluetooth 2.0, built in 802.11b/g wifi, built in Gigabit ethernet, USB 2.0, and then BluRay to boot?

When you add it up 600 bucks ain't so bad when you think if it that way. So far the games I have seen on the PS3 don't look that much better then the 360 (well not 300 bucks better), but as a Linux box, I think it would be bitchin'.

EDIT:It could use more RAM, that would be the weakest link for linux IMO

Overclocked

Wait till the technology is optimized for the PS3 systems then the games will be coming out better.

And right now, a BluRay player costs, what, $700?