Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Water Cooling Turbine

Default Re: Project: Water Cooling Turbine

wow this is so cool, i love what you have been doing at the moment, i dont think there are menyworks to discribe but wow...

...I think it is alittle too bright. I might have to come up with something a little less intense for the bottom light.
    I say keep it, it looks cool. very bright on the bottom and then the less bright on top and in side. iv got this image that its a glow from a generator or something connected wih the turbine and its this ultra bright glow xD

also a cool point to make is to try and get the light to fade in and out.
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

well, to play off your idea of having it fade in and out, what about motion?

maybe I could use a pair of these:
    http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-meteor-light-blue.html

that way I won't get the heat buildup with cc tubes.

don't forget to paint the edge where your sticking the window, wouldn't want to see any of that brown tube.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

You are correct, Spawn, I don't wan't to see any brown tubing. I'm trying to figure out how to install the window and still paint it. Like I said earlier, I may be forced into painting sooner than I had hoped.

Just as small update tonight.
    I started to trim the underside of the front. You won't see it much, but in my opinion, attention to detail everwhere counts!

Here is what started with, I added a few trim pieces around the edges:

Then I simply added a few layers of board down cut to random shapes. Note: this area will not have any glow wire.

The only other thing I got done was to rough up the surface for the other side of the tube:

Like I said, just a small update tonight, I'm waiting on the extra glow wire that should be here Thursday.
    and an update on doing the laser etching. I will have to wait on that. they guy that I know that has access to it teaches at a local high school and he informed me that he won't have access untill school starts, which is at the end of august.

later,

I'm really impressed with this project, it's original and turning out quite nicely. If I were you, I would go for a more subtle interior lighting scheme than a cathode tube or that meteor thing. I think it would look better with a dim, soft glow of a couple LED's. But that's just my opinion. Any plans on how you are going to paint it? A nice weathered metal would look good like the technique illustrated by Commando in his Tips, Tricks, & Tutorial series.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

jbdnsn, I agree, I have to find someting not so bright that does not give off much heat. I thought about wiring up some led's myself, not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet.

As for painting, thanks for pointing me toward Commando's tips, I have access to an airbrush, but I don't have an air compressor, so I have to figure that one out. But Yes, I will be air brushing it to make it look liked weathered metal. I really like the paint look on Crimson's Doom 3 case, but I dont' want to copy it exactly. and I want it to look more like the insides of a futuristick turbine.

Thanks again!

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

This just keeps getting beter and beter.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

I just had an idea, but I"m not sure how to go about doing it.

Basically I want to add some led's under the tube instead of the cc tubes that are too bright. I found these 2 color leds: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18...l?tl=g6c77s665

my idea would be to have several of these wired up below the tube and would start out as blue when the liquid is cool. they would be hooked up to a controller that would slowly change them over to the red as the water temperature went up. then as needed if the water temp went down, they would return to blue.

anyone know how to accomplish this. I'm not very good at creating ic circuits. I can do basic soldering, but circuit design is not my fortay!

well i'm not great with ICs either but i'd say you might be able to do it with just thermistors and resistors
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

well don't waste your money there go to ls diode 0.45 for 3mm red and blue. as far as hooking them up you can use onf of those calculators. if your wanting to hook it up so it changes to the temp of the water i'm not sure how good that would work becuase its only 2 colours. for the power i would grab it from the 5v molex connector running to the fans.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v