Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about laptop memory

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Question about laptop memory

I've been noticing that DDR memory cost twice as much as DDR2 memory. Why is that? Isn't DDR2 better than DDR? or am I mistaken?

1GB DDR2 = $40ish
    1GB DDR = $80ish

I've also just noticed that DDR memory goes up to 1GB a stick max whereas DD2 goes up to 2GB a stick max. Okay, now I'm really feeling confused. What gives? Is it because its older technology and in order for them to keep making profit off of DDR technology they need to "ram" up the price tags?

lol sorry for the horrid joke there in the last sentence, I couldn't resist. ;-)
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Question about laptop memory

I noticed that too, wish I could give you an answer. I was pissed when I bought my last set of RAM thinking it would be much less, and finding it to be much more.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    I noticed that too, wish I could give you an answer. I was pissed when I bought my last set of RAM thinking it would be much less, and finding it to be much more.
    Yea, I was pretty upset when I was looking at ram and was like, wow! $40 smackers for a gig!? Then I learned that my laptop is DDR instead of DDR2.

The thing that really annoyed me is, I have a Inspiron 9200 and the 9300's use DDR2. ><

It gets even worse from there. The prices on Ebay are about the same as on newegg or other online retailers. So I don't even have the option of looking at used memory.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Reason: supply is limited.

Look how much it costs for 128mb of PC133 ram. Or Rambus ram.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Well I just placed an order in for a gig stick, bringing me up from half gig to a gig and a quarter, it cost me $85 smackers.

lol its just not fair! If only I had DDR2, I could get two gigs for that price! At least I'll have room to upgrade to another gig in the future, maybe I'll take out a loan to cover the costs.

Where do you see the most performance gain(s) in ram by the way? I've only upgraded in the past and present to fulfill the recommended specs on pc games, but other than that I've never really gave it much thought as to how it affects the rest of my system. Would I see any performance gain in windows loading or starting up programs? or maybe in browsing the media rich web?

That would be great if it did more than just help run video games a little smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Reason: supply is limited.

Look how much it costs for 128mb of PC133 ram. Or Rambus ram.
    QFT. DDR isn't being made anymore. It's in moderate demand and the supply is getting smaller, thus the price goes up.

Jump on ebay, but it from a recycler if you want cheap. Just don't be surprised if some of it doesn't work.

This is how ram always works. You youngin's just haven't seen it cycle completely yet.

Today is a good day to compute. The Black Pumpkin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nil8 View Post
    This is how ram always works. You youngin's just haven't seen it cycle completely yet.
    Oh, we haven't, have we?!

When was the last time you saw one of these?
    Bigtop "The Magnificent"-Foxconn A79A-S, Phenom 9600 BlkEd, 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066, Sapphire 4870 1GB
    Newtop "The Rather Nice"-MSI MS-1029, Turion 64 MT-37, 2x1GB Crucial DDR-333, Radeon x700 128MB

In my old 386, on my keychain for my truck, in one of my parent's printers, on my dad's 2 trikes. Try harder.

I started on these.
    http://www.microstar.net/museum/sippmemory.html

No, most of you haven't. Ram sticks around for a long time when it picks up steam like DDR did. If you're still in PC hardware in 5 years, you will see the disappearance completely. Until then, watch a few new styles come, and watch some fail horribly.

Custom Title Honors

Never seen that one nil8, I wasn't born yet, lol, and is that a simm chip The Black Pumpkin?

Today is a good day to compute. The Black Pumpkin's Avatar

No, no, I mean for sale recently. :p

You were saying not many people here had seen a type of ram totally phase out of modern usage, I was just posting one that had, that many here have seen.
    Bigtop "The Magnificent"-Foxconn A79A-S, Phenom 9600 BlkEd, 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066, Sapphire 4870 1GB
    Newtop "The Rather Nice"-MSI MS-1029, Turion 64 MT-37, 2x1GB Crucial DDR-333, Radeon x700 128MB