Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How did the first computer you built turn out

Default How did the first computer you built turn out

So, it's your first time actually putting together a computer. How did it end up? Did it run flawlessly on the first startup? I fully built a computer fior the first time back in September. As for me, I spent a lot of time online researching all the parts I wanted, then spent a lot of time fianally putting them together. And then, after all of that work, I go to turn it on...and nothing. The damn thing didn't turn on. After some help from here, I found out the power supply was dead. I RMA'd and overnighted my dead one back for a new one. The new one arrives.....it's dead. I send it back, with the cheapest shipping this time, and order a completely different brand. The new one arrives, and it's too long for me to have the top exhaust fan in my case. So I wait a little bit, research, and return it for a different one. Though I was still able to use the computer, so it wasn't that bad. That wasn't the end of power supply troubles for me. I've gone through so much **** with them since then. But, my current one has always worked fine, and I love it. So, what kind of troubles, if any, have you gone through?

Default Re: How did the first computer you built turn out

The first time I tried hooking a computer up back when I was 8 or so. .
    I hooked the monitor up to a male serial port and roasted the Ribbon cable when I turned it on. Started smoking and I ran away from it.
    . . I've been learning how to repair computers ever since.

Now I can Build a Custom PC in about 5mins-10mins.

The only problems I have nowdays is computers that have been shorted out, or have lightning damage.
    This is where the Gas and a Match comes into play.

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

first comp i built is the one im using now...went flawlessly....but the first case change over i had was an hp to a premod i had... i couldnt get it to power up....i racked my brain for hours trying to figure out what it was .... damned switch on the back of the PSU!

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

First comp I built at 9 or 10. It was a system I used to play Ut99. I got the parts from my dad and he told me how to assemble it. I think a cable or something was loose, but it worked fine after that.

Now I can completely disassemble and reassemble a computer in under a half hour.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Today is a good day to compute. The Black Pumpkin's Avatar

First one I built was my dad's. Built it Christmas day, set it up in the living room, and ding! It worked!

I have had a power supply explode on me though...
    Bigtop "The Magnificent"-Foxconn A79A-S, Phenom 9600 BlkEd, 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066, Sapphire 4870 1GB
    Newtop "The Rather Nice"-MSI MS-1029, Turion 64 MT-37, 2x1GB Crucial DDR-333, Radeon x700 128MB

I built my first one when I was 14. I upgraded an eMachines with a 6600GT to play HL2. Then the PSU and mobo fried after a couple months (the PC was already a few years old). I bought a new mobo and PSU, swapped cases, and put everything together. Took a bit to figure out the front connectors because the manual had nothing about it, but after that it went fine.
    RIP Bucko

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I kinda sorta added and removed parts from my old PC but my current one really is my first build.

I'd have to say it's been a learning experience, and a functional one at that. Next time I would do something way different. Right now I want to replace the RAM (1gb mixed pair with no dual channel) a better video card (a PCIe one, not AGP) and a SATA or SATA II HDD, as my current one is slow. On the bright side my mobo supports two different kinds of RAM (one kind at a time), has a SATA plug (not sure which yet, haven't looked) and has a PCIe (kinda specific on the video cards, but I'm not worried). Upgrades here I come! After college, that is...

But yeah, it's been fun, I enjoy working with PCs. We'll see how my career turns out after all this. I'll probably have some good laughs looking at myself as I am now in five years or so.

Oh, and I fried a CPU and possibly a mobo too on my first attempt. I'm happy with the results, no more 1.4ghz Socket A with onboard video crap, I now have a (OC'ed to) 2.9ghz Pentium D Dual Core CPU and an nVidia 6800XT to play games with, muahaha. For those that haven't tried to build a PC, do your homework, ask advice from someone else (jk, but still a good idea to get multiple opinions on anything), and go for it.

/irrelevant tangents mixed with nonsense and a hint of stuff that makes sense unlike this phrase mah-dingy... I'll shut up now.

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

1st build was Wiedergeboren.

Me and my friend Jesse, we practiced for the Cisco IT Comp in April, and our tag-team time; disassembly and re-assembly was a record 4 minutes, 27 seconds. The old was 8 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b4i7 View Post
    first comp i built is the one im using now...went flawlessly....but the first case change over i had was an hp to a premod i had... i couldnt get it to power up....i racked my brain for hours trying to figure out what it was .... damned switch on the back of the PSU!
    OMG, I didn't that on my current build. I almost cried, especially considering I had spent $1800 on it now thought it was dead. Considering that was less than a year ago I felt like such a NØØb! Now I can take apart and assemble a PC in less than an hour (ya, ya I'm not as fast as you speed demons up there ^).

The first comp I ever built had a dead mobo from the start. Thing is, I didn't know that at the time, so I fiddled with it for a couple months. I got pretty frustrated during that time. Eventually I took it to a PC repair place, for $50 he told me my mobo was dead and for another $80 I went out and bought a new one and it worked. I remember that build:
    Antec SLK2600 AMB Case
    Intel Celeron 2.4GHz Processor
    (Dead) MSI 865PE Neo Mobo
    (Worked) ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Mobo
    512MB (2 x 256MB) DDR 333 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9200SE PCI

That was the first PC I ever used that could run UT2003!

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

My current machine (Blue) was the first one that I built from the ground up. Everything worked, albeit not that well at first (1 stick of RAM in a board that is Dual Channel is not the best for gaming), and other than some issues with my PSU (underpowering--400 watts ), it's ran like a champ, except that one time when I overdid my overclocking on the RAM (was trying to see how far I could push this beast). A simple reboot and bios reset fixed that problem. Currently@ 125% OC stable. Not much, but better than stock!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream