Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How did the first computer you built turn out

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: How did the first computer you built turn out

Well I have never completely built a computer from scratch as of yet, but the first computer I ever got to tinker around on looked alot like this...

http://digg.com/hardware/When_was_th..._your_computer

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I would charge the guy for my dust masks too.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    Well I have never completely built a computer from scratch as of yet, but the first computer I ever got to tinker around on looked alot like this...

Man. . Never seen one that bad! Guy must of had a Computer in his laundry room or something.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

My first computer I built I killed my new top of the line 6800gt with static electricity.
    Need a sig

Fresh Paint

I was 10 when I built my first. A AMD Duron 1.3ghz with onboard sound and graphics. Worked perffect the fidt time.

You seem to be stood on my tail... Helix666's Avatar

The first PC I built (Not counting the barebones system a year ago) is the one I'm using right now.
    It's turned out pretty well, even though it's taken me six months to finally finish the thing. I've been using it for most of that time, and just waiting until I had enough money to get the next part.

The only issues I have had are 1) The processor heatsink, I had to push so damned hard on the lever that locks it down that I still have ridges in my thumb.. and 2) Me tweaking things in software and causing everything to stop working properly.
    Last edited by Helix666; 07-02-2007 at 09:13 AM. Reason: I had a redundant sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by gntlkilr
    warranties are meant to be voided.
    Turns out, they'll let any idiot with a wrench work on hydraulics.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post

So much dust in that thing he could have a garden in there...

Anodized

Ran flawlessly on the first start up, I had upgraded before (amd 450mhz to a celeron 500mhz) and then afterwards built a system looking like this:

Athlon 2500, 1gb 2700, 40gb maxtor, asus mobo, geforce 4 (soon upgraded to a 9600pro). Up and running in no time.

Purchased a pre-built from a local PC shop in 2001/02. Incrimentally upgraded it over time due to hardware failure (hard drive scratched, PSU caught fire, busted mobo, etc). Current Rig (see sig) is the first "completely built by me" machine.

Because everything was incremental over time, this build was pretty much flawless, as all the hardware was already checked and tested as mostly it was a case change. Only problems I have is with hard drive cooling, noise reduction, and processor cooling, but nothing else horrible happened that I attribute to my assembly skills.

-Cool-
    Project Pioneer : AMD AthlonXP 3000+ : 1GB DDR RAM : Windows XP MCE
    ATI Radeon X1650 256MB : 520-Watt Corsair PSU : 20x DVD-RAM DL + LightScribe
    1.0TB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Seagate SATA II : 400GB Samsung SATA II
    250GB Seagate SATA I : 80GB Western Digital PATA/IDE

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Speaking of rebuilding computers, I just rebuilt some dell (mobo fried, so I replaced the mobo)

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"