Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First "Mod"

That's classified.

Default Re: First "Mod"

Well, for around $600, you can get quite a nice setup.
    I threw these links together in 5 minutes:

Processor: Intel C2D e6300
    RAM: Corsair 2x1GB DDR2 800
    Video: XFX 8600
    Motherboard: ASUS, Intel socket 775
    PSU: Corsair 520watt

Add a few fans ($20 at most), pick an ATX case ($40 to $60), add your drives from the old PC and tada: you have a new, fast PC that supports DirectX 10 and 64-bit computing.

EDIT: If you need a video card to hold yourself over while you save up, just buy a cheap $30 one that you can keep just for testing in the future.

I like the support but I don't have $600 to spend, so I guess I will just hold off until I get a job.

Austral Alien

If you do buy that video card, you will be limited to AGP, which most new computers don't even run anymore, so you'll be up for another video card when you do upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Why am I limited to AGP? What about PCI? I have 2 extra PCI slots.

Austral Alien

You have PCI slots on your MoBo, yes, but PCI cards are worse than AGP cards when it comes to graphics.
    Modern video cards use PCIe (otherwise known as PCI Express) x16 slot. It's completely different to a PCI slot, and something you don't have unless you buy a new MoBo.

Your computer is at the point you either spend the minmum to keep it going and save for a new PC, or you waste a whole lot of money to end up with a computer that can be easliy out performed for similar money to what you have spent in the end anyway.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

I really wish you would answer on YIM so we could have this convo in real time, but how is PCIe that much better then PCI?

Austral Alien

I don't have Yahoo Instant messenger.

PCIe is the current format which is adopted by card makers now for performance cards. PCIe can transfer more data too.
    Even if PCI was the same data flow as each other, go and look for a decent PCI video card and watch yourself come back empty handed. Simply no-one makes a good card for PCI.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Oh, I misunderstood what it says in your profile =p Do you have a messenger that I could talk to you on though? It would be mighty helpful.

Other then that, I'm not one of those fussy stuck up gamers in which complain about every single FPS they can or cant get. So I ordered that X1600XT PCI card, which is going to be ALOT better then what I had before (Radeone 9800 Pro, 128 MB AGP). So i'm not too worried about getting every possible FPS, or whatever it is most people want.

As long as this card lets me play games without massive lag when I put them onto medium settings, all will be fine.

Austral Alien

got a link to the video card you are buying?

I use MSN for messenging too.
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Mind just telling me your MSN really quick so we dont have to keep talking back and fourth through here?