Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on buying a precision gaming mouse

That's classified.

Default Re: Need advice on buying a precision gaming mouse

I'm hoping this mouse isn't too big for you:

In addition, you can swing from the USB cord or use it to climb up to your desk.

lol, you're all mean! In other news, my OCZ mouse came today, and it's pretty cool. It's alot heavier than i feared so it's a good weight, and the scroll wheel changes colour according to what dpi you have it set to.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
    I'm hoping this mouse isn't too big for you:

In addition, you can swing from the USB cord or use it to climb up to your desk.
    LOL!!

If only it was wireless, I would LOVE that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Cymae View Post
    lol, you're all mean! In other news, my OCZ mouse came today, and it's pretty cool. It's alot heavier than i feared so it's a good weight, and the scroll wheel changes colour according to what dpi you have it set to.
    The scroll wheel changes color? Thats awesome!

Be sure to let us know how it performs and how it feels, I've had mixed opinions from people about that mouse so it would be good to know what a person who likes small mice thinks. I'm more of a small mouse kind of guy rather than a "contours to your hand" kind.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Review: OCZ Equalizer Laser Gaming Mouse
    This mouse is perfect for what I want, though I can see why it gets mixed reviews in the desktop version.

General:
    I'm playing at a pretty low DPI setting atm, but im LOVING it. I've never had a laser mouse before, and it handles beautifully. I didn't acutally know laser mice didn't shine any colour but now I do!

Key Features:
    This little baby has something called on-the-fly DPI modification, which means there's a handly little button underneath the scrollwheel, indented and neatly outside of all accidental reach, which changes the DPI setting a step whe you push it (to more sensitive, or at most sensitive, back to the lowest). BUT, one thing that really got me when I used it, is that the scroll wheel changes colour according to the current DPI setting! with 6 DPI settings that's a lot of colours to remember, so the kind people at OCZ put a colour key on the underside of the mouse for you!
    In brief:
    Light off = 600dpi, green = 800dpi, yellow = 1200 dpi, red = 1600dpi, then it gets really cool. at 2000dpi, it flashes between red and yellow, and at 2500dpi, it flashes between green and orange, which looks insanely awesome.

Another neat little feature is a button in between your left click button and the scroll wheel called the tripple shoot button. I tried the machine gun in COD2 and WOW, did I LOVE this. Instead of shooting once, it shoots 3 times, giving you more time to pick your targets. This little button also doubles as double click in windows, so you can have the convenience of single click browsing without the annoyance of it constantly being active! It's slightly more pressure sensitive than the left and right click buttons too so you can be sure your finger won't slip and do something you'll regret.

Other Features:
    The non-slip grip is really comfortable, and is just in the right spot where you should have your thumb. It nicely guides your thumb back to the correct position so you can access the buttons on the left side of the mouse.

The two small thumb-access buttons are nothing particularly fancy. They just perform a basic back and forward function, as quite a few precision mice do these days. BUT, they're never the less pretty handy, and I don't discount them as a standard feature for all mice, so I can appreciate their existance.

I was a little worried that it would be too light, and I'd have to invent some sort of weighting mechanism that would void my warranty, but the worry was in vein! it's alot heavier than any mobile mouse I've ever used, and the weight is excellently balanced between the size and effort to push it.

Price:
    This baby RRP's at around $40USD on the internet. Of course that doesn't include postage, but some places will ship for free or next to nothing (remembering it's a very small package). At about 2/3 of the price of your Logitech G5, It's a fair price considering what it can do. when you pack that into a tinier package than your normal mouse, and take into account that a mobile gaming mouse is pretty rare and there isn't much choice, i'd say it's a pretty good deal.

Cons:
    As vain as it may sound, one thing I did dislike about this mouse is the colour. The black with the blue, the silver and the orange make it look slightly tackier than if it was just two colours, especially when your mouse wheel turns any colour on the rainbow. I can see why the tripple shoot button is bright orange and matches with nothing else on the mouse, it does after all make it easier to see, but who's looking at their MOUSE in the middle of a frag-fest? All in all, silver would have looked MUCH nicer and stood out just as well.

Weight is pretty important in a gaming mouse. I've gamed with pathetically light laptop mice which nearly made me cry as they'd fly across the desk and get me killed for the 15th time. Considering the size of the mouse, I thin this weight is perfect for me, and it IS pretty heavy for a laptop mouse, but if the weight of the mobile version is identical in the desktop version, i can see why some people might get irritated. This would seem far too light in a desktop mouse.

As Awesome as the idea of the changing colour scroll wheel for the DPI settings is, and despite the fact that I love it, the flashing lights on the 2000 and 2500dpi setting can be annoying. They don't stop flashing and red orange yellow and green are very bright colours. If you're using a high DPI for an FPS, it can probably get really irritating really fast.

Overall rating: 9.5/10
    This rating is for the MOBILE VERSION of the OCZ Equaliser Precision Gaming mouse. The DESKTOP version probably handles and feels quite a bit different. Precision gaming mice in mobile version are very difficult to find, and compared to all other mini mice i've tried, this one's by far the leader. Those flashing lights on the higher DPI would have to be what lose this mouse a 10/10 rating, simply because I can see how it would be a problem for gamers.

Other notes:
    If I was looking for a desktop mouse, I can see why this model wouldn't appeal. There are other, better brands of Precision desktop gaming mice, which have pretty much the same features (though the glowy scroll wheel is pretty awesome), and on top of it go to a higher DPI, have tilt sensors and custom weighting. So although this mouse is AWESOME for someone with little hands, or gaming goodness on your laptop, I wouldn't throw out the old G5 just yet.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 07-06-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Holy cow, did you write that up or is it a copy and paste from a website review? I don't mean to doubt you, but aside from a few small errors, that was very well written!

For anyone who is curious, here is a side by side comparison of the OCZ Gaming Mice for Desktop and Laptop. Now if only it were wireless.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Sorry bout that. I don't have a spellchecker. Office was too good to install the spellcheck module :fistshakingofdoom:

Why would I copy paste someone else's ideas? They're nowhere NEAR as important as my own. :p

I actually wouldn't have bought it if it was wireless. The LAST thing I want when i'm in the middle of BF2 is my battery to go flat or the person 5 seats from me also stupid enough to bring a wireless mouse to lan to be on the same frequency. I'll stick to my cable if it's all the same.

I wish they would give you the option of having a wireless or wired mouse with every wireless mouse (think sata cables with those lil lock type deals). I had a Iogear mini laptop mouse one time, which sucked, but it was really cool in that you could be totally wireless and when your battery started dying all you had to do is plug it in. I don't think I have ever come across another mouse like it, makes me wonder why.

btw, it only sucked because of the technology used to make it and its restrictions of technology use due to its tiny size.

btw, plus rep for an excellent write up.

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    What BF2 servers do you frequent? I tried to get everyone on the forums to get on and play BF2 (who has it at least) a couple months back, but not too many people responded..
    I only play in LAN nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    I wish they would give you the option of having a wireless or wired mouse with every wireless mouse (think sata cables with those lil lock type deals). I had a Iogear mini laptop mouse one time, which sucked, but it was really cool in that you could be totally wireless and when your battery started dying all you had to do is plug it in. I don't think I have ever come across another mouse like it, makes me wonder why.
    I've seen that one. I thought it was pretty nifty. I have to say, i got a wireless kb/mouse set for my birthday last year and i've bought a new set now because it was so terrible. in just over a year it's gotten so bad that it eats an entire set of batteries per 2 days, and the keyboard is only semi-responsive, not registering key off very frequently. It's not even a no-name set, it's a respectable Belkin product. It's just gotten so bad that I hate all wireless stuff.

awesome, glad you liked it. if i was rich i would definitely pick one up and try it out. but i've already spend a 100 on my mx rev. so i'm happy with that for now. as for the cons you can always paint it. and for the changing leds , thats what one of the reviews said. it distracting when your in the dark or its in view. you can always open it up and add some new led's or mess around with the current one in it.

General:
    I'm playing at a pretty low DPI setting atm, but im LOVING it. I've never had a laser mouse before, and it handles beautifully. I didn't acutally know laser mice didn't shine any colour but now I do!

mine has a very faint red light.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Overclocked

Meh, I found this mouse that you don't have to worry about it killing you because of its weight and instead of finding a tiny mouse for your hands it goes on your finger