Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Water cooling explained.

Default Re: Water cooling explained.

Does anyone know if anyone has ever tried building a cooling circuit using a domestic freezer pump and coolant etc? I'm just wondering what possibilities that might offer for a mad mod and some extra Mhz.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Personally I wouldn't waste your money mate, if you want good cooling without forking out for a W/C kit I would go for a top notch Zalman or Thermalright cooler.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Personally I wouldn't waste your money mate, if you want good cooling without forking out for a W/C kit I would go for a top notch Zalman or Thermalright cooler.
    I'm not sure if you meant that for me. Perhaps you missed my earlier post?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    There is a lot of material out there suggesting $200 is better spent on good air cooling than cheap water cooling. The best air solutions outperform the cheap water cooling solutions.
    I was asking more from the mad scientist perspective than a guy looking for an efficient cooling system. I'm interested in whether it could work and how well. Aside from the obvious beer cooling optional extra.

Personally I use a Noctua air-cooler that is a beast and does a lovely job. Even though I literally plastered the arctic silver on like icing on a cake and know it is doing next to no good (or worse) I can still oc my X2 4200+ to just under 2.7 Ghz stable (2.2 stock). When I clean that crap off and put a proper amount on and get my northbridge properly cooled I will be surprised if it doesn't get to 2.8 or 2.9.

Here's the cooler in question:

In situ next to a full height Graphics card:

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    D-Tek FuZion >

Spawn in you original post you said that you need a Fillport (T-line). I don't have a fill port, i just unscrew the top of my Res, not the easiest way but it works.
    i mean you need a res OR t line, some way of filling the system. i suppose you could in theory fill it completely in a sink with everything, but the pump, submerged with 1 spot open and then close it. but i would not do that. i changed it to T-line or Reservoir to make it more clear, thanks for that +rep

when i get my setup i will be getting 10 feet of hose, just for any additions or what ever. i might use one of the plastic barbs and screw it to the top of the micro res and run a line to the top of the case.

right now the best air cooling is the thermalright ultra 120 extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Does anyone know if anyone has ever tried building a cooling circuit using a domestic freezer pump and coolant etc? I'm just wondering what possibilities that might offer for a mad mod and some extra Mhz.

what do you mean? a condensate pump? and run a line or rad thats in a freezer? it wouldn't keep up with the load, unless thats all that was in the freezer. you would also get better temps with a proper phase change setup.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    what do you mean? a condensate pump? and run a line or rad thats in a freezer? it wouldn't keep up with the load, unless thats all that was in the freezer. you would also get better temps with a proper phase change setup.

I mean rip the cooling system out of a freezer, take the cold pipe from the radiator and put it into a CPU cooler block, then the rest of the circuit, then back to the pump -> rad. Then go see your local friendly refrigeration engineer and get the system filled. Turn on "freezer", half hour later turn on PC.

Would that work? Might that work? If it might it might be my next major mod: cool name "freezer"

it would work, but not very well, you should get a proper cpu phase change block. here is what one looks like, or this one.

you can also buy a fully built one, like a VapoChill LS and all you do is install it and you won't need any of the below.

in Canada you will also need these minus the gas fitter licence. you will also need to get your refrigeration licence (3-5 years apprenticeship) i've done 1 years worth of 5. i also did the 1 of 3 schooling's you need. i build a fridge!!! it was loads fun.

the top left is the ODP for buying refrigerant. top right is my gas fitter 3 certificate which lets me clean furnaces and help g2's or g1's fix furnaces. and the bottom one is just saying i'm a registered apprentice.
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

If you are looking for a phase change like system. You can make them, or have a look at the post I did in The Ice Box about the OCZ Cryo-Z
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=11470

@Crazy Buddhist, sorry I miss read your post

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    If you are looking for a phase change like system. You can make them, or have a look at the post I did in The Ice Box about the OCZ Cryo-Z
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=11470

@Crazy Buddhist, sorry I miss read your post
    that will be fine for a C2D but it won't handle a quad, not very well anyway.

the vapochill i linked to won't handle the quad either, again not very well.

In that post I said that it wouldn't be ideal for a quad. Vapochill are overpriced for what the are.
    Personally I would just get water cooling, you should be able to use the freezer pump to make a cooling system which is similar to a phase change kit. You could always make your PC is a freezer, that would be cool, a few CCFL's and a plexi door,hmmm gives me an idea .

From a mad scientist point of view I have seen a few examples of experimental extreme cooling. One was the use of liquid nitrogen infusions which allowed for insanely high overclocks and a couple of different refridgerator set ups. One was designed with the whole pc simply stuffed in a mini fridge and the other was a mini fridge with hoses running through the sides, heavily sealed and coiled within. They all achieve wacko performance boosts but in every case it ends up being completely impractical beyond the "lets see what happens" stage. The liquid nitrogen was safe for the components because it was held in a discrete container not contaminating the electronics but is of course expensive and evaporates immediately which means you have to keep pouring it in (warming it in a closed system would be way too dangerous). The computer in the fridge worked nice for a while, but the fridge did not have a strong enough vacuum to keep moisture out and the components rusted. The loops through the fridge failed because the cold water running through the lines collected condensation from the heat exchange between the pipes and the ambient room temp so the comp was a dripping mess. Theoretically it seems that superfreezing the CPU's does provide whopping performance but I don't know if anyone has built a CPU safe trial and run one long enough to see if it dramaticaly shortens the hardware's lifespan. It would be interesting to see but I haven't looked into these setups in a long time to see if they have improved.

EDIT: I can't seem to find the fridge comps but I did run across this which shows a company claiming built in refridgerant units working very well. But then again, if it's using the same types of chemicals that airconditioners and refridgerators use I would question the saftey.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 12-02-2007 at 09:57 PM.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri