Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radiation

Fresh Paint

Default Radiation

This is my first real mod. I have done baby steps such as trade cables out, swapped fans and cases. but this is my first project that required more than a screwdriver.

five years ago I had an idea, a plexi case for a computer, so I searched for one and came up empty. so I went to tap plastics and paid them over a hundred bucks to make me a box out of florescent transparent 1/4 inch plexi. and for five years it sat in my closet with absolutely no work done on it. well now I have the courage to start cutting it.

I work with x-ray machines and it is green so I am going to do a radiation theme. I was originally going to have it as a tower, however i ran in to a lot of issues with mounting and weight distribution. so it is now going to be desktop style. the hardware is going to be crappy but it is going to be a media pc, not a gaming rig. sorry for no pictures yet but they should be up in a day or so.
    That still counts as one!!!

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

Default Re: Radiation

post pic/ evidence of progress ASAP or it will probably be moved...
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Fresh Paint

after cutting the hole for and installing the front fan. and after I have started the placing of my optical drive
    Last edited by twenty; 07-07-2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: picture issue

Fresh Paint

here is a close up of my front fan post install. unfortunately the before pics are long gone. in order to make the hole i used the fan grill as a template, after it was marked I drilled a whole crap load of holes around the perimiter, then I played connect the dots with a jigsaw.

On a side note I have to thank crimson sky for giving me the courage to actually start this. I looked at a lot of topnotch mods and was intimidated. I read the logs of the staff team over at another site and was blown out of the water by both the mods and all the specialized expensive tools and crap that when into them. then I got to the doom 3 mod, easily one of the most gorgeous mods to be seen. I went through the worklog saw how he kit bashed so much detail into it and I thought to myself. I did that on my tanks for my guard army, I could do that on a computer myself. I saw the smoker and realized that was well within my skill set. every skill that went into that mod I possess. I saw that I can do this modding thing.
    I would like to stress that I am but a padawan and crimson the master. (it would take me years to pull off that level of coolness)
    sorry for hijacking my own thread to congratulate someone I do not know but I had to.

Fresh Paint

well well what do we have here, looks like some scraps of plexi. so why did I sand them smooth and drill the holes in them????

because those are my anchor points for my dvd drive!!

as you can see I cut the hole in the front for the optical drive. it took me forever th get it sanded just right. and now for the obligatory night shot.

I do plan on taking everything out, cleaning, buffing, and polishing the plexi before final install. and as you can see I have a power supply installed.

now in the interest of my vague theme of radiation, (I know I know, an often used theme.) I am going to use big toggle switches whenever and wherever possible. In fact I am going to use as many as possible. I want that intimidating bank of switches.

so what do you guys think?

lookin good! +rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Fresh Paint

thanks for the rep (wish I was clearer on exactly what that meant.) and I just got my first soldering iron under five pounds. I used to have this old huge pistol grip industrial model thats tip was about as pointy as a tennis ball.

Quote Originally Posted by twenty View Post
    thanks for the rep (wish I was clearer on exactly what that meant.) and I just got my first soldering iron under five pounds. I used to have this old huge pistol grip industrial model thats tip was about as pointy as a tennis ball.
    here is a guide about the +rep thing. you can go to user CP, at the top of the webpage to see who, and how much you have.

looks good so far, keep up the good work +rep
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Fresh Paint

well here is mah new soldering iron

I bored out the holes on the latches on my lid and took some quarter inch rod in matching green and bent it into a lock bar

and here is a mystery for you what am I gonna do with this chunk of scrap???

well wait until my next post to find out.