Thread: 1982 "Joust" Turned into a arcade

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default 1982 "Joust" Turned into a arcade

My buddy's Grandpa used to own a Arcade over at the local mall. anyways he had a excess of old "arcade" cabinets. He took one over to my shed and we started getting some ideas.

so anyways 2 years later we've got a fully functional 1982 "Joust" Cabinet powered by a 1.6Ghz p4.

The mobo is mounted above the safe. the HDD's USB ports,CD-rom and others are inside the safe. The old coin tokens work and accept quarters. the token slots themselves are now ESC and Pause. the OG joystick and buttons still work. there hardwired to a aftermarket keyboard I/O controller. the monitor has been replaced with a HP19" CRT. Added a Subwoofer to the inside cabinet. all the lights works and function with the computer. we've added a 75w incandecent work light also. it's sweet just for the fact you can't tell its not a real arcade till you reach around the back and hit the power button.

Think this is your guys kind of mods? It's not danked out with LEDS, billions of fans and the arcade is beat up. But hell its from 1982 and it's been around the block. being it was really used and played from 1982 upto 1998. the P1 control panel is worn down to the wood from its years of use . it's still got the some of registration stickers on the glass . It's just fun and cool to know that 25+ years later. It's still being played everyday.

If its something that people would like to know about and how we did all the work to it. I can start a worklog and upload pictures

Thanks guys

Austral Alien

Default Re: 1982 "Joust" Turned into a arcade

I'd love to see a worklog and pictures on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Great! Welcome to TBCS.
    I've been waiting to see a project like this.
    I will be looking forward to the Pics!

I recently found an arcade parts supplier Here if you need some ideas
    . . or if you want to trick it out with some LED's or Backlit buttons.

I'm home from work (yes I get paid to surf the web for most of the time i'm at work) Iv'e got a couple since I really dont bring my digital camera over peoples house lol.

here it is after we patchwork quilted it back together.

[http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1342/s4022064aw7.jpg

Inside. Those are the REAL coin chutes.. pretty sweet.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8042/s4022061dx7.jpg

That is Joust in the background.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9228/s4022062pv0.jpg

Iv'e got more somewhere

First try of the HDD's in the coin Safe. that is a 2 liter cut in half that catches 1P's Coins.
    The padding is well. it keeps the quarters from Pinging back into the HDD's

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9326/s4022060vt7.jpg
    Here is a Decent picture. It's showing that the keyboard is attached behind the Control panel.You pull the bolt/latch
    of the left side and it flips down showing the keyboard.
    Last edited by Bucko; 07-10-2007 at 02:12 AM.

Austral Alien

I just changed you pictures to links in this thread and another. Please resize them before posting, 800x600 is the MAXIMUM size to use. Please think of our friends on dial up still, or people who don't have a massive monitor. I see you are using Imageshack, so just click the resize image box when hosting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Dude, this is beyond rad. If you have a worklog, even if you have to make your worklog from scratch, PLEASE POST IT! This is something that I would love to do.

+rep for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Eclecticos View Post
    Great! Welcome to TBCS.
    I've been waiting to see a project like this.
    I will be looking forward to the Pics!

I recently found an arcade parts supplier Here if you need some ideas
    . . or if you want to trick it out with some LED's or Backlit buttons.

That's the thing. I've been around the block with computers. None of my computers have uber LEDS or uber bright fans. I've gotten past the "Ricer" phase.

(thanks for the advice with the pictures. Iv'e got a 19" @1920x1080 so thats the size I pick. Looks small as hell to me )

I'll see about patchwork quilting together a work log. alot of the stuff we did when we were smashed so I might not remember the details. We use another company for all of the parts. those are really industrial Break press buttons. If you know your arcade games you'll remember it was only two buttons and a two way joystick for joust. all of those buttons have been replaced. I think going out and buying a Cabinet made for a computer arcade is well ghey. That just means you've got money and not alot of talent. This arcade is beaten up dirty on the inside and the computer well has its fair share of problems also. but they've been ironed out and we've fixed problems as they've come along. it was just a cool idea. we had the parts so we made it. some parts might be hard to come by. like the 400$ 12v transformer for the lighting (work free-be). I really wouldn't advise taking CRT's apart for the average joe. They'll kill your arse if you dont know what your doing .

I'm not really out to make a uber rad super awsome extreme computer. I just do this for fun. My main rig is a vento 3600. it pushes close to 240cfm with the Dayton Electric fan in the rear pushing somewhere in the 115cfm( it's 110v ran off a 12v relay) i won't say what im using up front but its one of those things you see and go "Man that F'n ridiculous!!!1!" It does involve Radio controlled jet turbine engines. It's loud enough with everything at 100% to warrent some ear protection....No joke. during the winter I use one of those fans from a 6,000Btu propane heater to pump nice cold air into the chassis. Only bad part is it chops insects and small rodents up if they come close to the box. then feeds it down the dryer tube .

Well anyways I'll take more pictures and start a work log from scratch showing you guys everything that's been done. I will say drilling the holes for the joystick and buttons isn't easy. there's a 1/6th" Steel back plate that takes awhile to work though with even the tuffest drill.

one of our next things is adding from USB ports to the under side of the control panel. we've all got USB thumb drives and dump or take roms every now and then. it's a pain to open the safe and plug them in. all while there getting harrassed by flying quarters. one good side benifit is adding more controlers like Xbox 360 controllers to get a good game of "super fatal car crash" (yes that is a real game for teh arcade) the computers specs are as follows.

ASUS p4B mobo

512MB SD-133

Ati 9200 128MB AGP 4X

intergrated Sound

1 15GB drive for the operating system and back up emu programs.

2 Depends but most of the time its a 40.00GB full of roms.

Oh total side story but you'll love it.

My buddys building a custom computer. The windows will feature 2" Makrolan lexgaurd laminate. He's going to shoot the living hell out of the windows then mount them to the chassis. Ought to be something new. hopefully the lower caliber rounds won't punch all the way through and stay lodged inside the lexgaurd.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    Dude, this is beyond rad. If you have a worklog, even if you have to make your worklog from scratch, PLEASE POST IT! This is something that I would love to do.

+rep for sure!
    I'm not even sure i'd be able to make a work log at this point. many many super smashed drunk working on the arcade nights there for awhile lol. plus it was three people all working on it randomly.

It's fairly easy once you get the keyboard controller and wire in all the buttons and joysticks as keys. then use win Imap to bind it.

Wow!
    Very well done.
    I did something similar although the one you did is much better.
    I posted a few pix of it here.