Thread: Mold Making and Casting.

Default Mold Making and Casting.

For any molds I want to make I use a product called "mold builder" by Castin'Craft.
    It can be found in most craft stores like Michaels and AC Moore and is relatively inexpensive.
    ~PM From Byendor

It is a latex rubber product that you brush on your figures, layer by layer, until you build up a mold that is dense enough
    to support whatever material you are casting in. by adding cheesecloth to the mold toward the end of the process
    you can make a fairly sturdy mold that can be used multiple times.

Here is a good site that covers information about multiple types of mold-making compounds. The author doesn't recommend using brush on latex rubber, but I find it to be fairly forgiving. There is a lot of good information here that I plan on experimenting with in the future.

MOLD MAKING

This is a bit of an old site and the pictures aren't that great, but the information may be useful.

CASTING

This one came in handy for making faces. Especially if you already have some sort of doll or model you just want to recreate.

POLYCLAY MOLDING

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

When I get around to the Mayan Temple Mod Figurines and Statues,
    I will Post my own How To Video. -ecK

Default Re: Mold Making and Casting.

This material is faily thick, about the consistency of catsup. They make it thick so it takes fewer coats to cover an object.
    haha catsup.... people actually say that huh...

nice find though +rep.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Make a MoldBox:

How to make a Latex Mold:

Two Part Molds:

Silicon Molds:

Got Molding and Casting Links? Bust out your link wheel barrel and
    . .Fill this tutorial with more How To Instructionals, Please.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

About 15 years or so ago, I messed around with the 'Lost Wax' method with some older friends (hell, we're siblings in every sense of the word except for blood), as they were doing mini statuettes and spurs for the Wyoming Centennial.

From what I remember, we made our molds by covering said item (in the case of the statuettes, a real Indian arrowhead) in good old Palmolive dish detergent and then covering the whole thing in white caulk. Once it hardened, we then cut the caulk along the edges to remove the arrowhead. We then put the caulk mass back together and held it together with some heavy duty rubber bands.

Next came the fun part--melting the wax. Simple enough process, a double boiler setup on the kitchen stove, and once the wax was melted, we poured the liquid wax into the mold and let it set up, which took roughly 3 hours, until I had the bright idea of setting the mold inside of the freezer, which shortened the hardening time considerably. Once final touchup was done using a collection of X-Acto knives and dental picks, we sent the wax version off to the metal shop for casting.

I might just get back into the lost wax method for a future mod. I know which mod this will be part of, but until I am ready to reveal it, it shall remain in my noggin.

Keep in mind that it has been a good 15 years since I've dealt with this method of casting. I pulled all this from memory, so there might be a step or two that I missed.
    Last edited by Drum Thumper; 07-10-2007 at 04:08 AM. Reason: added a link
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

ATX Mental Case

Wow, those are some really helpful tutorials!

great info, now i need to find out where i can get this stuff from locally