Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: DeskPooter

Default Re: DeskPooter

Managed to sleeve some .. am just working on some update pics. mainly been doing work on the cabinet for the last three days. Might end up spraying some of the cables yellow cos I can't be a$$3d to remove every molex. Have also
    purchased a length of yellow cable and am just replacing some with it.

so .. its a mix of plan a,b,c and possibly to come d

spend yr winnings yet??

Quote Originally Posted by D1337 View Post
    Figure out how to sleeve the cables yet? Or you gonna go ahead with plan B.

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

i spent 10$ so far, im waiting to hear back from a plastics company in the uk =.=
    Since they are the only ones ive found out of 30 sites that carry a translucent/parent white acrylic.

Shipping is gonna be horrible.

Default Thursdays Work (yes I'm behind)

So here is where I start the day. I am working in the hallway in the block where I live as I don't want to make all this mess in my living room. Today I am starting by sanding back the cabinet as I sanded the drawers. I like pale wood. This is going to make a mess.

Hiding in the desk drawer is my favurite modding tool and an important piece of the original case. Along with the Mobo tray and backplate, the disk enclosures (or parts thereof) and this bracket, nothing else remains in the new build. This bracket I am cutting two small pieces out of later to make retaining brackets for the PSU.

The rest of my modding kit for the day:

Down to work. These panels are damn hard to sand down. Especially as I have a neck injury and loss of muscular power in one side of my body (right side and I'm right handed - Oh well). But the results will be worth it I know. This desk was made of lovely wood and will look great.

While I am working my two best buddies pop over to see what is going on. The little girl has seen me every day since she was born. I was her third word after "Mama" and "Dada" came "Mapoo" (matthew heheh).

She runs to me when she is hurt which really annoys her mum who gets jealous. I feel for her mum yet it makes me feel really special that she feels and knows she is so safe with me

Back to the story lol. Heres the cabinet front after I have worked on all the wood. It's been three hours of sanding using electric tools. My whole body is numb, literally and my arms feel weird like they are held on by elastic bands. Man I'm stoked though. This is starting to look so right.

When I have the bright idea to get some paint out and give a nice backdrop for my cathode tubes and UV lighting to do their work against I go for plain white. Usually this will be under the smoked glass top and you wont see much til the lights are on.

That's most of my days work from Thursday. Done. about five hours working on the cabinet and I'm knackered.

BUT ... I went shopping earlier and found this. I bought some switches (I had no reset button and needed some for the lights). They are in silver so almost everything else on the outside outside of the cabinet is going silver too.

I said everything.

And I meant everything. lol.

Almost ... I love these grills in black with the brass screws to compliment all the silver. The silver filter, as the grill, come from AC Ryan.

I have been hard at work since Thursday doing some fun stuff and some laborious stuff. Getting my cooling sorted and the like which I enjoyed greatly. Putting sheathing on cables. (sings song in head "Oh I wish I had a molex pin removal tool or two ... ") which I have bodged. So even though I was doing it in honour of Drumthumper its looking as rough as some of the streetwalkers in the neighbourhood I live in.

The rest though ... the rest looks sweet ... another update later today.

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

Looks alot better sanded. Story made me smile =o
    +rep

lookin good crazyB!! have some +rep!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Default OK My Baby is looking GOOD !! LoooooooL ;)

I have done loads inside and I'll post pics tomorrow .. but my baby is nearly finished .. all except for the smoked glass top which I am working on. Here she is. And .. she runs at 8.2 Ghz not bad for a 4200+ 2.44Ghz OC machine But I like her simplicity and understatedness. And the fact that she looks like a rather atttractive piece of furniture and not a white box:

The top is temporary to test the cooling. And it works great

Thanks for all the encouragement guys

CrazyB (aka Matthew)

Looks great, can't wait for the glass top though....

+reppiness

Thanks Drew

She's lovely and quiet Except for that damn northbridge fan ... as I posted elsewhere on the forum this is on my shopping list:

"Oh and the Asus EN8500GT Silent Magic 512MB graphics card I like a lot. Its fanless and with a mahhoosive heatsink. I have a 120mm fan positioned to pull air into the desk drawer and 3/4 of it hits that heatsink. It comes set at 400Mhz GPU speed but I knocked it up to 500 for my first try Overclock and its stable as anything and never goes over 50 - 55 C. Its designed to run from 75 - 125 C. Here its all in the picture:"

"Oh and the best of it is ^^^^^ that little silver fan on the northbridge you see half of in this picture is the noisiest thing in the PC. The maker of my CPU cooler makes a northbridge cooler thoughh. It will be right in the airflow form that big fan even though its designed to be fanless. "

not sure if this was covered already but i just noticed your ram appears to be in single channel. if you change to dual channel (put the two sticks in the same colours slot) it should help a bit.

have you changed all the thermal pastes(cpu, video card, north/south bridge) to Artic silver 5 or are they just stock?

looks good +rep.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

MY Mobo is odd ... some memory it likes to be arranged that way for dual channel mode some the way I have mine. It is working in Dual Channel mode.

So far only the CPU has the arctic silver on it. As the GPU is a fanless one I'm thinking they would have used a good thermal solution on it and I won't bother with the Northbridge til I buy the cooler.

Thanks for the rep mate

Matthew