Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux

ATX Mental Case NamesAreUseless's Avatar

Default Linux

Well... i wanna try using and learning how to use linux but i have this problem on my computer when i try booting from a burned linux cd i made (don't worry its legal). So i tried getting help at facepunch but i got very little.

Well...the hardware inside would make a difference

Damn it keeps repeating the same thing over and over again like

Code:
    Verifying DMI pool data .......
    Boot from CD:
    Intel UNDI,pxe-2.0 9build 002
    Copyright (c) 1997-200 Intel Corporation

SiS900 PXE bootrom v1.09 hook int18Client mac addr: 00 16 17 49 Guid: FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Pxe-mof:exiting Intel Pxe Rom

It's either i didn't burn the disk to ISO or something is extremely wrong.

A friend of mine said it had something to do with my bios and its trying to boot from the network, is that true?

EDIT
    Can someone smart please help me?!
    Am I supposed to burn the image file to the Dvd?

Default Re: Linux

do you have the BIOS boot order set correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

is never gonna give you up Elenril's Avatar

Did you burn it as an .iso image?

Click for my dA page

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Never leave a bright orange case outside. Magpies will attempt to gang rape it.

Ok, lets slow things down here. First, what were you trying to burn? ie, what distro? How big was the image (that what an .ISO is, it's a CD image)? As Elenril asked, did you burn it correctly? It won't work unless you burned it as an image file (and I don't mean like .jpg, I mean a CD image file).

No, your friend wasn't right about it trying to boot from the network (or whatever he meant). It is trying to boot from the CD. This may sound really dumb, but did you put the right CD in your drive? It looks like it is booting off of something from inside your drive. Or, do you have other drives hooked up that have CDs in them?

Click the Linux in a Nutshell link in my sig. Hopefully that will get you pointed in the right direction.

And don't worry, nobody is going to question the legality of your Linux CDs. Linux is open source, meaning it is free to everyone and you can do whatever you want with it, regardless. (Unless it is a pirated version of a distro you do have to pay for...)
    RIP Bucko

Actually that is a PXE boot screen (network boot) posted. To me it looks like the CD didn't burn correctly or you made a "network install" version of the distro...

Unless we know the distro we can't help much more than this.

Quote Originally Posted by NamesAreUseless
    ... burned linux cd i made (don't worry its legal) ...
    Is there such thing as an illegal Linux cd?
    -Gutte
    No, I'm not a compleate Idiot!
    Some parts are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guttenaffe View Post
    Actually that is a PXE boot screen (network boot) posted. To me it looks like the CD didn't burn correctly or you made a "network install" version of the distro...

Unless we know the distro we can't help much more than this.

Ahhh, thanks for the correction Gutte. I thought it might have been for like, Intel RAID drivers or something.

But actually, a network install would make sense.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by Guttenaffe View Post
    yep i have one on the desk in front of me. a few weeks ago i decided i wanted to get started with linux and a few sites had said that linspire was the easiest so i got it! let me tell you it's NOT worth the money, there are easy features on it but only if you want to buy all your software from them. I haven't let this put me off altogether though and i'll prob have a go with ubuntu soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

In case you're not sure about burning the disc, here's a guide I made some time ago to help people who weren't burning discs from ISO files correctly:

www.cginternet.net/ubuntu/burn

It may help you.

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

ATX Mental Case NamesAreUseless's Avatar

ok i got it to install properly but now i have a new problem, i can't install my driver for my internet receiver. It shows the cd but it wont run the driver installation. i have a feeling that its not compatible with linux

Quote Originally Posted by NamesAreUseless View Post
    ok i got it to install properly but now i have a new problem, i can't install my driver for my internet receiver. It shows the cd but it wont run the driver installation. i have a feeling that its not compatible with linux
    Probably.

Wireless? Install ndiswrapper. I don't know if you know how to install stuff, but that's what you need to do. I also don't know what distro you're using, so I can't help much with your installing, but I'll say you need ndiswrapper and ndiswrapper-utils installed. Post back when you've done that.

(Maybe I'll make a post on wireless in my Linux thread...)

Edit: Also, the reason it won't run the driver installation is because it's a Windows .exe file. Linux doesn't use .exe files. They have other ways of doing it.
    RIP Bucko