Page 1 of 71 1234561151 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: LEXA

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Project: LEXA

Welcome one and all to Project Lexa. This is my first major mod and computer build so first I’ll tell you about what’s gonna happen.

The Mod:
    This mod will revolve around a standard NZXT Lexa midi tower (www.nzxt.com/products/lexa). I intend to keep the sleek, black look of the outside of the case and move it into the interior. Keeping with the overall case theme and design there will be very little exterior structural work done. The whole interior will be painted with either a matte or gloss black paint to match the outside. There will be extensive use of mesh (AC Ryan MeshX Panels or equivalent) and Perspex to hide all of the drive bays (including Hard Drives and CD drives) and to give the case a sense of simplicity, class and cleanliness (I mean cleanliness because the viewer will only be able to see a few cables, the case interior will be dominated by the Water Cooling and UV reactive components).

I have chosen all of my hardware to reflect the overall case mod. The motherboard, graphics card and RAM are all based around a blue and black colour scheme with UV reactive parts involved. The motherboard (DFI LANParty UT NF680iLT SLI-T2R) will be a big feature of this mod due to its UV reactive plugs and components that seem to jump out at the viewer (under UV light). Along with the motherboard there will also be UV reactive cables, fans and a UV reactive Water Cooling kit to complete the mod. The UV green coolant that I will use will off set the blue glow from the case fans and will grow brightly providing perfect contrast to the black case paint and other UV reactive components.

As you can see this mod won’t be overly difficult but may take some time due to water cooling.

(Colours indicate status) Previous Build, New and Have Ordered or Need to Order

Note: Not all components showed in picture.

Components:
    Hardware:

Case – NZXT Lexa (No PSU) x1
    PSU – Antec Neo HE 550 x1
    Motherboard – DFI LANParty UT NF680iLT SLI-T2R x1
    CPU – Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 x1
    RAM – G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK (1GB x 2) DDR2 RAM x1
    GPU – ASUS EN8800GTX x1
    HDD – Western Digital Caviar WD3200KS 320GB HDD x1
    Maxtor 250GB IDE HDD x1 (in Cooler Master X-Craft external enclosure)
    Monitor – AOC LM925 19” LCD Monitor x1
    Speakers – Altec Lansing VS.2120 Speakers x1
    Keyboard – Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard x1
    Mouse – Logitech G7 Gaming Mouse (2007 Edition) x1

Software:
    Operating System – Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM x1
    Other – Microsoft Office 2003 Student and Teacher Edition x1

Water Cooling:
    CPU Block – Swiftech Apogee GTX Waterblock x1
    GPU Block – Swiftech MCW-60 (With 8800 Adaptor Plate) x1
    Radiators – Black Ice GTX 120mm Radiator x1
    Alphacool NexXxos Pro II - Rev. 2 x1
    Pump – Danger Den Mag II LE 12V Pump x1
    Reservoir – Danger Den Bay Reservoir x1
    Coolant – AlphaCool UV Green Coolant x2
    Heatsinks (For GPU) – Swiftech MC-14 (8 Pack) x1
    Swiftech MC-21 (4 Pack) x1
    Fittings – Danger Den Fillport (Black) x1
    Danger Den 1/2" Polly 90 Degree x4
    Danger Den 3/8" to 1/2" Fitting Kit x1
    Tubing – 3 meters of ½” ID tubing

Misc:
    Too many things to list here. I will show you when I use them. Parts include fans, HDD enclosure, CCFL’s, cables, cable ties and mounts,…well you get the picture.

Well that’s enough talking, on to the modding.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 01-20-2008 at 01:06 AM.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Default Re: Project LEXA

Well first of all I’ve stripped the case and have removed the front panel to allow me to sleeve the cables from the switches and LCD etc.

Here is a picture of the mass of cables:

The first thing I have to do is free all of the cables from their ties and measure the sleeving. I am going to do this in stages as to allow me to join individual cables into one big one (you’ll get what I mean when you see it). If I stuff up and cut a cable I have a whole new set along with a whole fascia. Yes I have two case fascias. On the first one the door hinge broke and NZXT sent me a whole new fascia free of charge. I am currently using the one NZXT sent me but am considering transferring the polished aluminium panels of the old fascia to the new one because they are shinier.

Here’s a picture of the two fascias together. (The one on the left is the older one)

I removed the Brushed aluminium panels to protect them from scratches as I sleeve the cables. I also removed the USB, Audio and Firewire card to help protect the circuit board from damage.

I then removed the Power LED and the HDD activity LED because these are the two I would be sleeving first.

Well that’s all I have for tonight. I will have more to show you tomorrow including the completed cable sleeving. Until Then...

Happy Modding.

This Looks Interesting! You have any idea what you going to do to it?

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Gotta love the Lexa ohh a 8800GTX very nice.
    Need a sig

I'm basically going to be spraying the interior black and using mesh and acrylic to hide all of the drive bays. There will be a strong emphasis on UV light that will give the case an interesting look.

I can't tell you everything, you'll just have to wait and see

Ok as promised you shall have the pictures of the completed cable sleeving.
    Here’s a picture of what it looked like before I started.

I had to remove the door off the fascia to be able to reach the LED cables.

Here are the two completed cables just needing to be heat shrunk over the zip ties.

As you probably would have noticed the cables are sleeved only about halfway down the cable. You will find out why later on.

Ok, next up will be the power and reset switches. I start by removing them from the fascia and then following the same process as the LED’s.

Here’s a picture of the four semi-sleeved cables.

Next up is the power cable and thermal probes for the LCD screen.

I think I will leave these until I get my motherboard because the probes need to be measured to size. I am also waiting for my Molex de-pinning tool so I can remove the power connector for easy sleeving.

Well that’s about it for today. Over the next few days I will complete sleeving the cables completely and you will find out why I left them half sleeved Until Then...

Happy Modding.

I have put the sleeving on hold for now so I can do this minor update.

I have decided to cover the air vents on the lower part of the front fascia with some old mesh I have from an old pair of speakers. This will help with the overall theme of the mod and dust management.

I start by getting my mesh and marking it for cutting. I didn’t need to mark the mesh for the two small vents near the USB ports because I will just use a few off cuts.

I then cut it to size and shaped it how I wanted it.
    Insert picture of cut and shaped mesh

Now to install it. I think I will use some clear silicon or super glue to attach it to the plastic of the front fascia. I left about 1/2cm over hang either side of the mesh to allow it to be attached with ease.

I have decided to use the clear silicon because super glue makes everything go white. I apply the silicon and leave it to dry and now we have the finished product.

You can’t see the mesh really well in the picture but up close it looks pretty good. I considered using silver or plain aluminium mesh instead of the black because it would tie in with the front of the case but I didn’t have any laying around and don’t want to buy silver spray for this minimal amount of work.

Well that’s the end of this little side project. Only took me about 1-2 hours tops to complete. I will now try to complete the sleeving but I have some school assignments that need to be completed by the new term on Tuesday so my time is limited. Until Then...

Happy Modding.

Sorry there hasn't been an update for a while. I got all of my home work done so things should start to pick up tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed

Another really small update. Today I got my de-pinning tool. It is for the male Molex plugs only but I tried it with a female connector and guess what...it worked better than with the male connectors. It tends to snap the pins on the male connectors. This works out well for me because now I don't have to buy two haha.
    Here's a pic:

Happy Modding.

This part of the mod needs to be completed before the rest of the cable sleeving can be completed properly.

I went to my local hardware store and bought a pair of 1/2” grommets.

I then mark the part of the case I need to drill out to install them.

These grommets will allow me to route the power and LED cables through the lowest possible part of the case so there will be very few viewable cables.

I’m gonna go do the drilling now so pics of that will be up later today. Until Then...

Happy Modding.