Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orb

Default Re: The Orb

Thank you xRyokenx.
    @ dgrmkrp: I still have not figured out, where to buy you "viscous cement" from page 3 But you were right at my plans on the swivel mechnism: I found some pivoting fittings in a watercooling webshop. I bought two different versions of them. But I have the same problem with both versions: The pivoting joints need to much force to turn. I know, this is a central problem with this casecon, and I don't have the perfect solution till now, but if all plans fail, I can go with two flexible tubes outside the case that can bend those needed 15 degrees. I rendered a still from the movie with blue tubes:

If I can find a working pivoting fitting, I omit the external tubes and put the hinges inside the case.

Another goodie I did not mention till now is my Logitech Quickcam Sphere Cou can see it in the renderings on the first page. I have to paint it in Orb colours but simply the geometry makes it the perfect addon to the case. The cam is sold with a 20cm long extension and can turn it's eye 180 degrees in two axes.

Today I glued the next parts and worked on the new circles for the hinges, pics will follow tomorrow. See you soon.
    My CaseCons:

-=| The Orb |=- - - -=| CUBE 2 |=- - - -=| Reactor |=-

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

You're welcome, this mod is giving me ideas for when I mod a case for a new rig in a few years.

This is great. What a nice log. +rep. I love working with wood too. Where did you source the spherical parts please - the lamp and the visor? I'm plotting something lol
    Last edited by Crazy Buddhist; 08-01-2007 at 05:30 AM. Reason: slepling

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

wow. this guy is a CAD GOD! i kid you not people! RUN AND HIDE YOUR CHILDREN!!!!

hehe +rep for you know what
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

Thanx guys!
    @Crazy Buddhist: It took me three month to find those spheres. The information you want is not cheap...
    Just kiddin. You can get the acryllic hemispheres at Deko Woerner in Germany. Don't know, if they ship this stuff in the world.
    The gardenlamp came from the designer-lamp dealer Skapetze. They sell this stuff at eBay.
    @elbarto: Thanx for you know what 3D-Modeling for fun since 1990, so this one was an easy one.

Here comes the update, I wanted to do two days ago but the world was against me...

-Hinges again:
    I decided not to hide the water supply inside the case. So the hinges don't have to rotate as the tubes can compensate the movement.
    The hinges itself will work pretty simple: I'm going to cut a big hole in the outer hemisphere in wich a plexi-cylinder can rotate. The visor is a little smaller than the rest of the sphere so it can rotate inside.
    Today I started with the cylinders that will be glued right and left to the visor and contain the ellbow fittings. Because I don't have an cylider, I needed more circles:

Two of them will be glued together so they needed to be the same diameter. Unfortunately the cicles I cut out with the hole-saw aren't perfect. So I put a screw though and rotated them in the drilling machine. So I could form them with a file:

The ellbows fittings will be screwed into the circles and then be covered by the rings:

This will become clear through the next updates in some days
    My CaseCons:

-Baseplate:
    Today I got some nice material:

It's stuff called "Tischlerplatte" in Germany. It's a verry hard wooden plate, made of 20 layeres of different wood.

The piece is 45*30cm and this will be my new circle for the baseplate. As I wrote some posts ago, I messed up the last one. Also the pressboard I used before wasn't the best material to mount the spehre on, because it shivers when you turn screws in.
    My CaseCons:

Hey: I just found some pictures which are worth posting as they show, how the things fit together.

The last picture shows the old mounting-circle wich has a much to big inclination. This will be fixed soon.

Hope you like it. It's a rough preview. I try to imagine, how this will look painted and glowing in nice blue cathode light *G*
    My CaseCons:

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

nice too see it coming together, that case is going to come out amazing by the time your done with it good luck
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

Last edited by jdbnsn; 08-02-2007 at 06:47 PM.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Yippie! Thanx jbdnsn and the all TBCS members reading and answering this thread
    I hope to fulfill your expectations and to deliver some updates during the next days because I leave for holidays on August, 7th for two weeks.
    The next big step is to have water flowing through the new visor!

See you soon,
    |NQ|Squelsh

BTW: |NQ| stands for NetQuarter. We make LAN-Parties in Germany with 100 to 400 gamers. (In case someone wants to visit us)
    My CaseCons: