View Poll Results: 10/100 or Gigabit for music?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10/100

19 65.52%
  • Gigabit

10 34.48%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10/100 question/poll

Default Re: 10/100 question/poll

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Eventually it will be used on a regular basis.
    True, but by the time that happens the equipment he buys today will be obsolete by then. I say go with 100,

Custom Title Honors

10/100 will be obsolete before that though and then require him to upgrade again to the gigabit. The gigabit has a chance to last longer(in terms of existance) then the 10/100 will. I still stand on my opinion, but do see it from both sides. If he is only going to be streaming music and whatnot, go with 10/100, if you think are are going to be moving large files around in the near future, get the gigabit.

I see your point there. I guess I was under the impression that he already had the 10/100 equipment so my point was why spend the money now if you don't have to, Wait till you are forced to upgrade, and get brand new, better equipment then. thats all.

Custom Title Honors

From what I read, he is looking to get a switch and was wondering which to get 10/100 or Gigabit. Just get one that supports all 3.

10/100/1000 Switches anywhere from 33.49(23.49 after MIB) up to 959.99 for 1-12 port switch.

10/100 Switches anywhere from 25.99 up to 1371.99 for 1-12 port switch.

i assume you mean streaming music and such, but do you mean from comp to comp in your network or off the internet.
    as long as you have no intentions of setting up a large file server on your network and don't plan on getting a 100+mb/s internet connection, 10/100 can suit your needs.
    but in the interest of new technology, i'd get gigabit stuff.

Outlaw .. yes you are right .. in that within five years or so Gigabit plus internet will be todays equivalent of dial-up. But by that time there may be entirely new networking technologies in use.

Interestingly in Moscow, Russia you can subscribe to a 100Mb/s internet connection. It costs around $50 a month. You can download an entire DVD in under two minutes.

I liked this:

'"Sigbritt Lothberg, Will You Marry Me?"

There are many obstacles to our relationship. You're 75 years old, but age doesn't matter to me. You live in central Sweden, which is kind of a long haul from New England. I'll commute. Both you and I are already married, which might be an impediment as well. But, Sigbritt, you have the world's fastest broadband connection, 40 Gigabits per second, and boy do I want that.'

'Sigbritt will now be able to enjoy 1,500 high definition HDTV channels simultaneously. Or, if there is nothing worth watching there, she will be able to download a full high definition DVD in just two seconds.'

unfortunately, according to reports, Sigbritt isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection: She only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.

How jealous?????????? What is a seventy five year old Grandmother doing with MY internet connection? Reading newspapers :O

is that actually true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

i heard it was like 4.7gb/s...

Custom Title Honors

It's a news company who knows. You would have to ask the people who are actually using it and/or set it up. And even if it is 4.7gb/s, that is still alot faster then any of us proabably use aside from any premium business class users.

i've got 1mb/s
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.