Thread: Cutting Plexiglass, a few questions

Fresh Paint

Thumbs down Cutting Plexiglass, a few questions

Hi there,
    This is my first post here so first let me say hello to everyone, I've lurked here off and on for ages. Anyhow, on to my questions.

I'm looking to mod a case and do some plexiglass stuff similar to what Defyant did on this thread http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...read.php?t=714

My question is what do you guys use to cut Plexiglass and get the smooth edges. I've got a Dremel and I've tried several different blades and everything I have used ends up melting the plexiglass. So what blade works best and at what speed? Or is there a better tool? I'd really like to get the best smooth edge I can get. Or if you can point me to a link that would guide me on that subject that would be great too.

I've got a ton of 1/4" plexi I can practice on, the sheets are something like 4 by 6 to 7 foot took them off someones old house . Some of them are kind of scratched up but some of them are in really good shape.

Another question is there a product that is really good at removing scratchs from Plexi that anyone has tried? My current case has a nasty scrap on it I'd love to somehow fix.

thanks

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Cutting Plexiglass, a few questions

turtle wax?

Tablesaws and jigsaws are best for cutting plexi--although a tablesaw is out of the realm for a beginner.

there are plastic cutting blades available for the jigsaw that make a nice cut when you use a straight edge (alum bar or whatever) that has been clamped to the work. Smooth Mill Handfiles will clean up your edges after. Use Novus scratch removers (heavy, medium, light) and plastic polish to fix minor imperfections.

Fresh Paint

I've got access to both a table saw and jigsaw. My father is a Trim carpenter, I've worked with him off and on for ages. However all we have blade wise are wood working blades, ie blades with larger teeth.

I'll look around and see what I can find at the local hardware store. My father once suggested using a table saw but I figured the teeth were too large. I'm assuming that a fine tooth blade would do the trick.

thanks alot for the input Crimson Sky! Looking forward to seeing what I can do.