Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off to France...

Default Re: Off to France...

Quote Originally Posted by slytherock View Post
    OMG, French is my first language, and I had to read this 3 times to understand it :p
    .. is that French-Canadian? .. not being funny but French is my second language ... and I got it first time ... I think you guys structure your sentances and end verbs differently to the French .. I had a bit of school French but started living there and learning it when I was 24 now I'm pretty fluent having lived there for four and a half years in total during the last 17.

It's fun arguing with French people who don't believe I'm not French.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    The French seem to hate Americans even if they speak French...
    I think the relationship between the French and the Americans is hard to understand unless you have a good understanding of both peoples. In my experience the French are very grounded in the earth and connected to the earth in a way Anglo-Saxon westerners are not. This is less true in the cities but still valid. The French are generally less "intellectual" - not less educated per se, indeed their education is generally excellent - but more balanced somehow.

The French people are resolutely jealous of guarding their cultural heritage from what they see as the increasing Americanisation of the entire world. They believe in family and community and opportunity and equality. They feel entrenched as trying to balance all those things in a world where money and force mean winner takes all. They are scared of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    .. is that French-Canadian? .. Yes
    not being funny but French is my second language ... and I got it first time ... Not being funny but you might have a little syntax problem too :p
    I think you guys structure your sentances and end verbs differently to the French ..
    Nop. We have a different accent, add american english accent to traditional french. Maybe add too much english words in our sentences, but lot less then frenchs do. But we all write it the same.
    I had a bit of school French but started living there and learning it when I was 24 now I'm pretty fluent having lived there for four and a half years in total during the last 17.

It's fun arguing with French people who don't believe I'm not French.
    Now let see those sentences and write them the proper way:

Profiter d'un agreable moment
    means Have a nice moment
    If you speak to only one person you can put it in singular or in plurial. Singular is the friendly way.
    Plurial is a form of respect, most of the time for older people.
    In both ways, this sentence is wrong.

You should read:

1- Profite d'un agréable moment. (singular, third person)
    2- Profitez d'un agéable moment. (plurial, second person)

I know it sound picky, but that's how french is made

, peut-etre vous devrait avoir ecoute dans votre classe francaise.
    means Maybe you should have listened in your french class.

Same rule apply here, but there's a lot more. syntax and sentence structure is totally wrong.

vous devrait
    - first word is plurial, second person. Second word is singular, third person. right there we have one of the biggest mistake done by english people.
    - And it's build as a question so both words should be inversse.
    avoir ecoute
    - First word is a transitif verb, writtin at infinitf. That way those verbs are never followed by another verb.
    - Second word is wrote in present. Should be writin in past tense.
    dans votre classe francaise.
    - First 3 words are ok, but miss one word in between the classe and français.
    - Français, in this sentence, is use as a masculin adjective, so no e at the end.

You should read:

1- peut-être aurais-tu dû écouter durant ton cours de français. (singular, third person)
    2- peut-être auriez-vous dû écouter durant votre cours de français. (plurial, second person)

APPRENDRE a parler la masselotte tres rapide,
    means: learn to speak masselotte really fast

APPRENDRE
    - Not the good tense

a parler la
    - perfect, no problem there

masselotte
    - I have no f idea what it mean...
    well I know what masselotte mean, but it make no sense at all in this sentence...

tres rapide
    - the word rapide is an adjective, should add ...ment at end

You should read:

Apprend à parler le masselotte très rapidement.

ils n'aiment pas des idiots.

Perfect.
    Means: they don't like idiots (So do I )

Ok, I'm not trying to make any fun out of anyone here. Sorry XcOM, I know online translator are ****. And french is a hard language with many exeptions.
    And Crazy Buddhist, french is not only my first language, I'm good at it.

Edit, wow, my longuest post ever...

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Edit, wow, my longuest post ever...
    Glad to have inspired that

I can't write or read it properly but if you met me - after a month in France to refresh - you wouldn't know I wasn't French. In this circumstance that was clearly an advantage to comprehension as I scanned it and understood straight off - I clearly wasn't put off by all the mistakes lol.

Thanks for the grammar lesson +rep

Matthew

ils n'aiment pas des idiots.
    Perfect. Means: they don't like idiots (So do I )
    Do you perhaps mean 'neither do I'?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Do you perhaps mean 'neither do I'?

lol

As I wrote previously, french is a hard and picky language, full of rules and exeption, I understand that people can make mistakes.

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

lol.. french is a hard and picky language, full of rules and exeption, ...
    english too .. but whats the point picking holes when you can be cutting them with a drill or a dremel?