Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista lan problem...

D'Oh

Default Re: Vista lan problem...

Yep.. tried it, didn't change a thing.. I got ip v6 letters and numbers from the servers, but after the connection died I never saw them again.. I had the vista, kasperski anti-hacker and bitdefender.. all free trial version.. That didn't affect it when I used static IPs. But at home, different business.. I kinda used it a week or two, after that, no response, no more down traffic.. The thing is that there was a problem between the modem, the servers and vista. They weren't communicating properly. And still aren't.

Vista wasn't buggy at all and ran fine, except for the 2 problems with D3D and the LAN.. I found 1 issue except these: copying was buggy. Lots of files took ages to copy, and big ones took either a few minutes or an hour.. Nothing could be affected by this. My hard drives are in mint condition, with free space and non-fragmented.. Even the normal clocked cpu (2GHz) can handle the OS and run it steady, so when I ramp things up I get a 5.7 on the cpu for 2.7GHz... I thought this might have influenced something, but was wrong.. but if there is no LAN.. jeez, last time I had vista RC1 neither the LAN nor the sound worked.. now they fixed the sound Nice improvement, poor choice of hardware fix I am so accustomed to XP, but I will miss vista.. Gotta work a lil more and get the 64b version of ultimate tho and maybe with a 8800 gfx board I won't get the errors I get.. And about the LAN, I may end up buying a separate controller, as I have read and seen that this may fix problems.. Just make sure it is a vista certified driver/board. Damn, I rant a lot..

All in all, I have mixed feelings about this s#!7...

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

We've had a similar problem at work, every copy of Vista wouldn't get on the web unless you manually put in a DNS server ip.
    I guess it's a good thing I work at an ISP.

here r my simple fix instructions
    1. run ya vista DVD thro a paper shredder
    2. curse and scream at your computer till nothing happens (usualy takes a very short time but can continue for hours depending on user satisfaction)
    3. slap yourself with a linux (prefferably ubuntu seeing as its very userfriendly) book till ya can memorize every bit of it
    4. reformat your hard drive and choose a OS thats actualy worth using
    5. smile when ya realize that beryl makes vista's aero look like a pile of horse dung...
    6. thank me for showing ya the light
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Anodized

In My opinion i think Windows Xp is better.

D'Oh

Quote Originally Posted by CHIMAERA View Post
    here r my simple fix instructions
    1. run ya vista DVD thro a paper shredder
    2. curse and scream at your computer till nothing happens (usualy takes a very short time but can continue for hours depending on user satisfaction)
    3. slap yourself with a linux (prefferably ubuntu seeing as its very userfriendly) book till ya can memorize every bit of it
    4. reformat your hard drive and choose a OS thats actualy worth using
    5. smile when ya realize that beryl makes vista's aero look like a pile of horse dung...
    6. thank me for showing ya the light
    Well, before I had vista installed I ran ubuntu with beryl but one thing that was quirky there was sound.. And this is very important because I use my soundcard as an electronic filter, to divide the sound stream to low and highs.. And ubuntu didn't have any support for my creative then.. It was a clean install from a live dvd, on a clean hard drive.. But I installed vista quick after and it lived happily till I got home.. That was like a 3 months life till I "killed" it. It still needs a lot of work on it, but I was almost happy with it. The cube was funny tho, and the wobbly windows.. but not that functional.. I'd rather have 2 or 3 screens and normal windows

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

I've had similar problems with networking vista
    with other ( windows 2000 and XP ) computers in
    my network.. Along with one of the Laptops ( both runnning
    XP Pro ) would see the Vista machine and the other
    one would not, no matter how much i did to try to
    fix it.. I consider myself pretty fluent with Windows
    and networking, but i was at my wit's end..
    Finally someone at my work mentioned he was having
    similar problems and he got NETWORK MAGIC..
    The program fixed ALL my issues, even my non-Vista
    related networking issues.. ( Like all the computers not
    seeing the same shares, and I had one that never did see the
    shared printer )...
    Go to
    http://www.networkmagic.com/
    and get the free download..
    I actually ended up buying it, it works great..
    Just an FYI.. I am in no way affiliated with this program..
    It just works!
    EVGA 780I SLI | Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
    Intel Q6600 2.4 @3.2 | 1-750 Gig, 1-500 Gig SATA
    Corsair 2X 4Gig Matched Sets
    Dual 8800GT 512
    Thermaltake 850W Modular PS

D'Oh

Mmm.. I had vista 32 ultimate installed.. I even have a Vista x64 disc, legal, but I'm not going to try to install it..

The thing is the drivers don't seem made for vista, the local ISP is working on its network (converting cable to fiber.. this the problem: modem freezes and I have to call the company to reset it on their end in order to change the pc.. so I need a router..) and I'm pretty sure I don't f### with settings Can't see myself doing that The circumstances are just against me.. and others, as I have used that particular PC in another network, even at gigabit speeds.

Vista isn't that bad, but it still has some down sides.. Does your laptop run 3dsmax on it? DirectX doens't work at all.. Neither OpenGL.. that is not flawless.. Also, I think I have a pretty current system and I shouldn't have to pay for an OS that doesn't do what I want.. Luckily, I build PCs so I have access to stuff and have access to all kinds of deals from the university.. But if I were to pay to get DX10 and not even DX9 works.. It is not my fault, nor others..

I understand the 16MB issue though.. Being an on-board/laptop solution, you can't change it right? Does it have a PCI express mini port? You could always buy/hook up an external video adapter.. Like a gift for your wife's lappy

D'Oh

Well, I would gladly take your money but I can't re-sell it.. Might need it for someone else..
    I know it looks exactly the same, but given my experience with xp 64, it was a cooler OS.. I mean 5-10 degrees cooler.. Maybe vista 64 is also better with the watts output and will give me an edge when modeling/rendering, if they can fix the darn thing..
    I would like to test the Maxtreme drivers to see if they work with vista, but I don't have a quadro card.. yet.. Eee.. this thread is kinda old.. but if anybody has issues with vista or lan in general, I'll keep it open so you can share I fixed my problem with an old and classic format c:

As for the lappy.. buy a newer one and use the old as a donor for a nice mod.. maybe turn the screen 180 and make a nice "painting" of it or take the screen and use only that

Quote Originally Posted by modmansage View Post
    We've had a similar problem at work, every copy of Vista wouldn't get on the web unless you manually put in a DNS server ip.
    I guess it's a good thing I work at an ISP.
    Given ^^^ that, I would suggest here's an answer:

Get the XP running. Run CMD Prompt and IPCONFIG /ALL

Copy the settings IP Address, Mask, Gateway and DNS servers

Manually configure the Network adapters Internet (TCP/IP) properties with these same values in Vista. Plug in the cable.

D'Oh

Doesn't work that way... If I don't set the settings to automatic, I can't do a thing.. Each address is changed on a daily basis and running an outside trace on me locates me about 600km away of my real location.. That is the only thing that doesn't change.. The IP, mask, dns and gateway all change, but in reasonable amounts.. Only the dhcp seems to have quite a steady 193.x.x.x address.. But all others change.. I've seen the IP to range from 68.x.x.x to 72.x.x.x, the mask changes 255.255.25x.0 and the other addresses keep only the same first code.. If I would set stuff manually I could at best stay connected 24 hours.. But the talking to the dhcp occurs several times a day.. I guess the ISP has it's ways.. Like I said, the previous LAN I was on required manually setting the numbers.. this one doesn't and works with 99% of computers instantly.. I am unlucky I guess.. but I can live with that.. thanks CB anyway