Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dreamcast monitor project

ATX Mental Case

Default The Dreamcast monitor project

I have done one mod before, it was a simple case-paint mod for an older computer that I am using as a server.

Now I'm moving on to something a bit different.

I am a huge Dreamcast lover, and although my collection is somewhat small, my DC gets more play than even my 360.

So I heard that you could hook up a DC to a computer monitor via a special VGA cable. After reading about it more, I decided that I should invest in one of these. Now I don't have a HDTV or even an LCD monitor, but I figured hey, if it beats composite and is inexpensive than I might as well go for it. So I found a 17" Dell monitor at my Dad's work and took it home.

I plan on ordering a DC VGA box from eBay soon. The one I am looking at includes ports for Composite and S-video in addtion to the VGA-out. This will require me to get a (fe)male-to-(fe)male connector/cable. Where can I get one for cheap?

I plan on painting it white and possibly a part of it grey to try and get it to match. I'd like to try and add a Sega logo in grey, and if possible the dreamcast swirl on the top of the monitor in orange.

I already bought some white spraypaint, and I tried to get it to match as well as possible. I couldn't find any suitable grey paint, but then again I have only checked one store.

The LED to indicate that it is on is green. When the monitor is in standby mode, the LED changes to an amber, and somewhat resembles the DC's LED. I'd like to try and rewire the LED to do the opposite. That or replace the green LED with an Amber/Orange one I have on hand or can buy.

Here is a few pictures of the monitor and the DC next to it. Pardon the tail-end of my skimboard.

E2180 (2.0ghz) | 2GB DDR2 800 Tracers | 8600GT 256mb | XFX 610i nForce mobo | Lanbox Lite
    Intel Atom 230 - 1.6ghz | 2GB DDR2-667 | 945GCLF Mini-ITX | Apex MI-100 case

Default Re: The Dreamcast monitor project

Quote Originally Posted by Raz1r View Post
    I plan on ordering a DC VGA box from eBay soon. The one I am looking at includes ports for Composite and S-video in addtion to the VGA-out. This will require me to get a (fe)male-to-(fe)male connector/cable. Where can I get one for cheap?
    is this the one from ebay?

what cable are you looking for? a VGA one, composite, or RCA? if its a VGA one i'm not sure why you need it as the monitor should have one on it already. if its the other two you can just use rca cables, just match'em up.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    is this the one from ebay?

what cable are you looking for? a VGA one, composite, or RCA? if its a VGA one i'm not sure why you need it as the monitor should have one on it already. if its the other two you can just use rca cables, just match'em up.
    That's one of the ones I'm considering. I guess I wouldn't need a cable would I? I was uncertain, I've heard of people needing them with that one in the past.
    E2180 (2.0ghz) | 2GB DDR2 800 Tracers | 8600GT 256mb | XFX 610i nForce mobo | Lanbox Lite

well that blue input(i assume input) looks the right size for a VGA connector and is the right colour. i don't see why you would need one. if you order that one then try it first and if it doesn't work then you can take pictures and show us to help more.
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Some CRT's have a removable vga cable on them.. almost all LCD's do too.

That's likely why some people were looking for one.

Also, Dreamcasts RULE! I've had mine since 1998.. bought it from a friend, and have been collecting games and accessories from pawnshops and garage sales ever since!

I have the keyboard and mouse (wicked for Quake 3 and Unreal Tourney), the fishing rod controller (and 2 fishing games), 4 controllers and 4 vmus.

I'd love to get ahold of the broadband adaptor for it, but apparently it doesnt work for internet browsing, so I wouldnt ever use it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

ya i was looking to get one to help grow my Resident Evil collection but never did. i would like to get the boardband adaptor for my gamecube just to fill another slot on it but its not worth the money since theres basicaly no use for it.

ATX Mental Case

Yeah, the BBAs for those systems aren't used to their full potential. There is a website dedicated to keeping the online going however. Onlineconsoles is a great resource if you want to play an old game online. I'm kicking myself for not bidding on an auction I saw last night. It had 2 controllers and an official fight stick, went for $10.

Ok, I'm going to paint the white soon if I can get a long enough time without rain.

Does anybody know how I could get a Sega/Dreamcast logo on there in grey? I'm trying to get this to look like it could be an official accessory, or at the very least have it match. I was thinking of doing a stencil out of a 3x5 card and then spraypainting it on, but I don't know how that would turn out. Also I think the lower area of the panel might get painted grey along with the buttons. I'm just trying to figure out what would look best, and resemble a DC accessory the most.

I think a stencil would be just fine.. just be careful to paint on light coats, otherwise it could run, or soak under the stencil.

Maybe try to match the color to the swirl on the dreamcast? The crt would look slick I think with a blue LED on it, to match the blue on the dreamcast.. but be super careful opening CRTs... the possibility of dangerous (or possibly fatal) shocks does exist.

You may be able to remove the DELL logo from the front by rubbing it with a sugar cube.. I've had good luck removing logos from mice and such like that.

Also, I vote paint the buttons the darker grey to match the DC, but leave the panel around/below them alone. Paint the stand below the monitor to the darker grey also.

*edit* You mentioned a female - female cable.. the cord on the CRT is a Male end.. that would mean that the adaptor box would have a female port on it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

ATX Mental Case

I just got my wisdom teeth out, so I'm not gonna be able to do much with this for a few days.

I'm still looking for reference pics, and I think the Sega logo is gonna be trouble. The swirl might be tough to match as well.

What areas of the monitor should I stay away from when I disassemble it for painting?

Anything not made of plastic.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/