Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Contador

Fresh Paint

Default The Contador

Well hello everyone, I'm a newie here so i would like to say hello to everyone and a massive thanks for giving me the inspiration to finally take to my case with a jigsaw.

My Mod
    I'll give you some background on what i'm gonna be doing. I brought a AOpen HQ08 (Link) case a good 5-6 years ago with the intention of cutting some holes and putting some more fans in it, But as things sometimes happen i never got around to it. Untill now! I'm looking at cutting some windows and some fan holes as well as painting the metal chrome and going for a chrome and metallic blue colour, filled with El Wire, LED's and some other nice stuff.

The cutting begins

This is the case with no top, side or cages installed, it's completely bare

This is the front where i'm going to put a 120mm fan

and this is the back where i'm going to put 2x 80mm. I had the fans in there when i first got it but the air flow was restricted too much, so they need to go.

I then marked my side panels, i have made it so you cant see the 5.25" bays but can see the PSU cus thats gonna get some modding done to it also.

Now the fun begins, i grabbed my jigsaw as i dont have a Dremel and off i went. As you can see got a bit of filing to do.

Back holes cut

Front hole cut

I then cut a larger opening for the cables from the drives and psu as the current hole is just not big enuff.

Both window holes cut, now they just need some final filing to bring up to scratch.

and just making sure they show what they are supposed to. Which they do

I will have some more tomorrow when i finish the filing. I also picked up a sheet of tinted Poly Carb for the window, only cost me $10 so i was stoked.

comments are definatley welcome.

Cheers and thank you.

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

Default Re: Finally the day has come

nice cuts that was a hideous case you started with, make it beautiful bro
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

Hey sting! Welcome onboard.
    So far so good. The holes are there, now build the stuff around the holes
    Will it get any theme?
    My CaseCons:

-=| The Orb |=- - - -=| CUBE 2 |=- - - -=| Reactor |=-

D'Oh

Looks nice.. keep going I get a lot of good vibes from this case.. big, spacious.. I'm gonna be lurking around to see what happens to it >:]

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Fresh Paint

thank you everyone for your comments so far.

|NQ|Squelsh: not to sure yet on an actual theme, but i would like to sand back the metal so it's bare and polish it up, along with the side and top panels, and spray the front plastic housing a gloss silver or chrome, and the blue/purple insert a metallic cobolt blue. Plus have blue highlights throughout the case...blue screws, blue led fans, blue el wire, along with silver highlights like the cable sleeves and white led's.

If i can i would like to know if it's possible to sand back the frame and panels and polish to a nice finish, the metal seems to have this coating, is it like a primer or protection coating?

Cheers again for the comments will have photos up tomorrow of the window cutouts finished.

Fresh Paint

Hey everyone,

Bit of an update, i've decided to paint the frame a metallic blue and sand back the top and side panels and polish them up to a nice mirror finish.

I also went and purchased some sand paper and cut it into sanding discs for my drill. I also happened to spot a nice little Dremel knockoff while i was there. Only $40 with desk stand, flexi tool and all types of cutting and grinding discs, gotta love Bunnings. So i think i'm gonna have to get that cus i hate filing and using a jigsaw.

Anyways pics should be up of my panels sanded but not polished soon, gonna wait till i have the dremel wannabe before cleaning up the edges.

EDIT:: Pics as promised

PICS

Sanded the paint from the top half to see what it looked like

Looking good, got a long way to go and stil got the top and other side to do

and i also finished the front hole and here it is with the 120mm fan installed which will be replaced with a blue led fan of course when the time comes to piece it all together.

Cheers

Fresh Paint

Bit of an update, went out and brought a angel grinder yesterday to finish up the edges and i have now finished the side panel and have removed all the paint. Just need to go through the process of sanding back untill i'm happy with the finish.

I have also purchased a sheet of aluminium for the front as i'm no longer going to be using the crappy plastic front housing as it doesnt fit in with my ever changing plans

PICS:

Sanded back

and again.

And again

I really like the swirl pattern made from the sander, i'm still deciding whether to mirror finish it or leave a bit of a pattern, what do you think?

Thats all i have atm been pretty wet and windy around here and i dont have a shed or workshop so i've been doing what i can when i can in the carport.

More updates to come.

Cheers

Nice job +rep, i think polishing it up will look nicer

Fresh Paint

Default Re: The Contador

Hey peepz and peepettez,

Got a small update for you. I got around to make a template for the front housing and got cutting. Except i broke the blade in my jigsaw and have to go get a new one, so when i do the rest of the front should be finished.

The template the small rounded rectangle cutouts will have blue mesh behind them and is just to make the front a little more interesting. Button also in the middle using a 22mm Bulgin blue LED ring button and the reset just a standard 16mm or 19mm vandal resistant button.

The front cut to size, still need to take about 1/3 of an inch off the top and cutout all the holes but my jigsaw broke half way through so need a new blade.

Also due to the original front housing sat out from the case about an inch, i need to make a spacer for the front so the drives line up, so the front plate now needs to sit that far out from the case. I have an idea that i will draw up and post seeing its way to hard for me to explain and see what you reckon. Or do you have any ideas yourselves, let me know.

Untill next time

cheers

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

Default Re: The Contador

i would be careful using that combination of paper and tape as a template for cutting, it tends to rise and tear and results in inaccuracy its a lot easier and more efficent to lay down a layer of tape then mark or just transfer the lines right on the alum.
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500