Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorized Door

Anodized

Default Motorized Door

Hey Guys,

I have this idea for an automated door mechanism, kinda like the Doom3 mod (in the fact they are both doors) only a much, much simpler door. But the problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to motors. I would need the motor itself plus some kind of controller board.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
    Life is ganging up on me.

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

Default Re: Motorized Door

hey you go bro, there is another thread already made for this http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=5499

that should help, good luck
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

Anodized

Okay, bad analogy. Let's try this again. The ONLY resemblance it has to the DOOM 3 mod is that it is a door. It doesn't use a linear actuator, but a gear track thingy. Lemme see if I can draw a pic of it:

Door Closed:

Door Open:

Does this diagram make any sense? Anyway, I looked at Wannabemodder's thread, and he used a pot to control his door. I'm looking to use some kind of PIC or Basic stamp module. I'm just clueless when it comes to that sort of stuff.

So, I guess what I should be asking is: does anyone here know how to program/interface microcontrollers with a motor?

Thanks guys

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

i think i get ur diagram. i dont know anyone specifically who knows about micro controller, best chance you have if someone catches this thread or cruise the works in progress and looks for someone working with a microcontoller and ask them a couple of questions.
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

you could get a motor from a CD drive and solder/weld a gear cog to it.
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

how big of a opening do you want? is this going to go where a 5 1/4 bay is going? what orientation is it going to be in? i was working on a sketchup for you but it closed (also had to go to walk in clinic cause something got in my eye. now i got a dam bandage on it for 24-36hours...) so i will restart. if its small then you can go with intergalaticman's idea and scrape parts, including the gears from a old cd drive. the trasy have a plastic track of gears tha you could use. you would need two cd drives though.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Anodized

Hey Spawn, thanks for that.

The purpose of this door is to stealth a cd drive. However, it is not in the standard orientation. The cd drive will be built into the wall, if that makes sense. When it slides open, the disc drive will have room to eject. The pics above are from a top down view. Below is a side view:

I am looking to cram alot of components in a small case. So I need to save as much room as possible. If use a standard drive orientation (horizontal) it takes up alot of interior space (8 inches long). Even if I set it vertically, it still may hit components behind it. By setting it in the wall, literally, I can maximize space.

The motorized mechanism really don't serve a purpose except to look cool. Lol. I am trying to design it so the door opens and then the drive ejects the cd automatically. That's why I'm hunting for a micro-controller.

What do you think of the mechanism? Will it kill the drive, or is it safe? I have seen some servo control chips that allow you to set the motor speed. If it is moving slowly enough, I don't think it could hurt the cds or the drive.

ok so here is my second attempt at using sketchup. you can download it here or just look at the photos below

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...03416916866a66

once my eye is healed i will work on the closed version.
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Anodized

To Spawn: Man, your sketch-up skills are good! I couldn't do that to save my life! Lol. Unfortunately, my bad MSpaint skills led to draw the mechanism the wrong way. I apologize . I don't expect you to go out of your way to redo the whole thing.

I've tried to draw a clearer picture. Here is a top down view of the opened door and drive:

I guess really what I mean to say is that the door is the cd drive. It is vertically mounted and the drive ejects parallel to the wall.

Anyway, the original point of this thread was to discuss microcontrollers. However, after some research, I think I have found a few solutions. The pictures were for explanatory purposes only. I apologize again to everyone who worked hard to understand my bad drawings and was left confused .

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, thanks for the compliments, its not that hard of a program to use actually. that whole thing took maybe 20 minutes. and thats noobish time i think? i thought you wanted to see how it would look or somthing. when it comes to microcontrollers i haven't a clue. i try and do things mechanically vs. electronically.