Thread: New PSU problems

Default New PSU problems

Hey, just started to put my new rig together, and I seem to be having the same problem as Olen did in this thread:
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=9437

Makes a really high pitched whine. Any other suggestions/solutions? I've been looking forwards to this new system for some time, and this is a real bummer..

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: New PSU problems

Does it work sometimes when a transformer has a short in it it can cause a High pitched whine. I wouldn't run it could cause issues with the Motherboard

Yeah. im gonna RMA it I guess. This really, really sucks.

It was a huge pain to install too, had to mod the case to get it to fit. Now I gotta take the @#$@#$ thing back out, and wait ages for UPS/NewEgg to get me a new one.

I dont have a voltage tester either. Also I dont have any back-up PSU's I can swap out to make sure its just this PSU and not the mobo or anything.

Austral Alien

What did you have connected to it?
    I'm just wondering because the PSU I use for a bench test supply has the high pitched whine unless at least 2 fans are connected to get a bit of current draw, then it's fine. With no load it whines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

I found that when I oc'd my MSI 965 plat mobo and the chipset heated up, I got that same high pitched whine.

Solution for me was to reseat the heatsink on the chipset, and add some airflow.

No more noise!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Just got a replacement PSU and it still does the same thing. Took it apart and put it all back together with just bare essentials 1 HDD, 1 DVD drive, 8800gtx and the 680i mobo.

Maybe the noise is coming from the motherboard, I cant tell because its so high pitched it sounds like its coming from everywhere to me.

Edit: Looks like its a common problem with the EVGA 680i boards. Sometimes the 8800gtx is known for it as well. I'll take the graphics card out tomorrow and see if it still whines.

ATX Mental Case

get a piece of tubing like a hose , put it to your ear and search for the sound. not a j/k really it works

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    get a piece of tubing like a hose , put it to your ear and search for the sound. not a j/k really it works
    As silly as it sounds, it can be very helpful to do so.
    If it is the pitch that a computer speaker makes, unplug that. I have heard of some MSI motherboards with a built-in short on the speaker jumper. I can't imagine that would be fun, but as far as I know they had that under control.

Otherwise you definately want to check that all heatsinks and fans are in good working condition and are seated correctly. If all looks well you will want to isolate components to see what exactly is causing the problem.
    You can short a PSU to test it, you can google up a tutorial, or connect the green wire of the 24-pin connector to any black wire on the same connector to ground it out. A paper clip can be used. Then switch the PSU on. You can also use this method to check other fans in the system and even hard drives/optical drives. That is provided the PSU is not the problem.

I hope that helps!
    Peace, love and Anarchy!