Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Server Stuff

Default Re: Server Stuff

He guys, I'm back with a few questions.

Does anyone know why my domain name is changing to 192.168.1.3 when I click to a link that takes me to another page inside my site? I've only accessed the site from 2 computers inside our network, but it still shouldn't be doing that.

Also, after I changed my forum to a subdomain, whenever I try to login, it tries to redirect me to forums.arcanesystems.com/phpBB2/index.php which doesn't exist, because I'm already in the /phpBB2 directory. How do I make it not do that?

And yes, my site is http://arcanesystems.com if you want to check it out and give me bug feedback, etc. It's not done, and far from it, but I need some reports from other people on problems if there are any (and there most likely will be).

And about the theme on there; I haven't been able to FTP to my server yet (I think I need to hook up a monitor and everything and tweak a little) since I updated the theme, so I am going to change the images and stuff as soon as I can. Green mountain serenity isn't really my cup of tea.
    RIP Bucko

all of your links in the source are pointing to 192.168.1.3/....
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    all of your links in the source are pointing to 192.168.1.3/....
    Well that's lame... Thanks for pointing that out. Since I'm too impatient to figure out how to change that in Joomla, I'll have to do it once I get my FTP and SSH to work. +rep dude.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Does anyone know why my domain name is changing to 192.168.1.3 when I click to a link that takes me to another page inside my site?
    You probably built the site offline at home on your PC or server and had addresses set as absolute rather than relative. Once in your site links can be relative to the entry point/root of the server or absolute in which case the full address needs to be given.

Here is a good explanation

Alright guys, so I'm almost ready to go live with this. There's just one more thing I need to work out.

Emails. Ie, regestration emails. I originally tried with my email address, but I imagine I did it wrong so it didn't work. I decided to install Postfix, but after the install, I got lost. Webmin has a built in configuration utility for it, but I don't know what to do with it. Webmin also has a thing for Sendmail, but from what I've read Sendmail is even more confusing than Postfix. Does anyone know anything about either program that they could help me with?

Thanks guys.

Edit: Also, how do I make Google not say "A website created using Joomla" blah blah... I bet it's a setting under Joomla, right?
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Alright guys, so I'm almost ready to go live with this. There's just one more thing I need to work out.

Emails. Ie, regestration emails. I originally tried with my email address, but I imagine I did it wrong so it didn't work. I decided to install Postfix, but after the install, I got lost. Webmin has a built in configuration utility for it, but I don't know what to do with it. Webmin also has a thing for Sendmail, but from what I've read Sendmail is even more confusing than Postfix. Does anyone know anything about either program that they could help me with?

Thanks guys.

Edit: Also, how do I make Google not say "A website created using Joomla" blah blah... I bet it's a setting under Joomla, right?
    Mal,

Postfix

I don't know webmin or postfix but the tutorial here looks pretty thorough.

Google

If you look at the raw HTML I think you will find a Meta tag <META name="description" content="A website created using Joomla"> - this is presumably Joomla's default setting.

The Meta description tag is where search engines look for the description of your site.

Here is the joomla help page that tells you what to do to set it how you want.

Here is a search engine friendly patch for Joomla that will allow you to max out the results - looks worth investigating, having had a quick read.

CrazyB, thanks for the patch link. I'm definitely going to look into that.

I decided against Postfix and Sendmail. I found a much better option. A Gmail account for "Groups and Organizations". I now have it set to maleficus at arcanesystems.com, working great. BUT, for the Joomla email setting, I'm not sure what to use. I've ruled it down to 2 options: "PHP Mail Function" or "SMTP Server". I only left "SMTP Server" because I don't know what it means :p. So... looks like I'll be investigating that for a little bit and I'll be 99% done.
    RIP Bucko

Mal, I was just having a look around you site and Im afraid to say the banner was the first thing that struck me. Compared to the rest of the site it looked a bit unprofessional, I narrowed it down to the text. It just looked a bit pixelated. So I took it and applied a simple 1px gaussian blur and here is the result: http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,...eader.jpg.html
    I'm not sure what you'll think but I think it looks a lot more elegant.
    BTW if you want it that link will go dead after about 2 days
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

go with smtp (Simple Mail Transport Protocol). Everything should already be setup correctly. Most mail servers are by default smtp, but they also handle the php mail. I personally would stick with sendmail and smtp (neither is required for the other... ).

Sendmail should only take one or two edits of the config file for it to function properly and securely. Probably just the FQDN needs to be added.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

wow great looking website
    - Computer-Geek