Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Stuff

Default Re: Server Stuff

I installed NX, but I have no idea where to start when it comes to configuring. I ran the "New Connection Wizard" but got nowhere.

Also, I guess I have another question(s) (heh heh). How do I tell my firewall to let traffic in to my site? It blocks all incoming connections, so what do I do? Turn it off? That would make having it pointless, right? Also, I just noticed that the IP of this computer is now the IP that used to be my server (not on my network, on the internet (if I said that right)). Don't I need a static IP to host a website, or will the name find the IP by itself (again, if I said that right)? If it needs to be static, can I do that myself or do I need to talk to my ISP?

Anyways, thanks again to everyone. You guys were a big help getting this thing off the ground.
    RIP Bucko

i think you need to talk to your isp to see about the static ip. im not too sure if you need it for the domain name tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    i think you need to talk to your isp to see about the static ip. im not too sure if you need it for the domain name tho
    For the domain name, you need DNS servers pointing to your web server. When you register your domain name, you will point the name to the DNS servers (name.host.com or you could also use the IP of the server), and then point the DNS servers to the IP address of your web server. This requires a static IP on the server side. Most ISP's will block port 80 (standard HTTP port), you might want to talk to yours to find out what their policy is.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    For the domain name, you need DNS servers pointing to your web server. When you register your domain name, you will point the name to the DNS servers (name.host.com or you could also use the IP of the server), and then point the DNS servers to the IP address of your web server. This requires a static IP on the server side. Most ISP's will block port 80 (standard HTTP port), you might want to talk to yours to find out what their policy is.
    Already using port 80 . Apparently it wasn't blocked. When setting up my server the tutorial said use port 8080 instead, but to do that I had to change the password for my router, and I didn't want to do that so I just kept 80. So I will have to get a static IP before I can register my domain? I already know the IPs of my DNS servers (memorized them actually... lol) but like I said, I don't think my server IP is static... I guess I'll give them a call tonight or tomorrow and see what I can do.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Already using port 80 . Apparently it wasn't blocked. When setting up my server the tutorial said use port 8080 instead, but to do that I had to change the password for my router, and I didn't want to do that so I just kept 80. So I will have to get a static IP before I can register my domain? I already know the IPs of my DNS servers (memorized them actually... lol) but like I said, I don't think my server IP is static... I guess I'll give them a call tonight or tomorrow and see what I can do.
    You don't need a static IP before registering.. You can buy the domain name, and just let them sit out there. I own 3 domains.. none of them are doing anything though.

You had a tutorial that recommended 8080 fo http traffic? That's usually a remote management port. Otherwise, when accessing your site, i would have to type in www.sitename.com:8080 in order to be able to even see it.

Who's providing DNS for you? How much does it cost?

I think there may be a little confusion on the DNS servers. There are DNS servers that you use to retrieve DNS information, which are normally provided by your ISP. Unless your ISP contains your servers DNS information it doesn't help you. To get your Servers information into DNS it has to be configured at the DNS server end. I do this with BIND on our Hosting box. If you have multiple static IP's you can do this yourself. There are also services that will do it for you, most of the time it costs. If you don't have a static IP there is a service called DynDNS that can do it for minimal cost.

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    If you don't have a static IP there is a service called DynDNS that can do it for minimal cost.
    Indeed you do not need a static IP address at all though it helps and if you can get one for low or no buck$ I would do so.

For a full explanation of Dynamic DNS see the wikipedia.org article here.

And for a list of Dynamic DNS services check out the DMOZ.ORG pages here.

CrazyB

Hmmm.... I think I'll look into getting a static IP through my ISP... If I can get one for free that would be great, because all this other stuff costs money...
    RIP Bucko

if your not going to be running a huge site, something for just a few friends to see have a look at http://www.freedomain.co.nr/ they will give you a domain name like www.blablabla.co.nr. and as long as you have a static ip they will take care of all the DNS stuff, for free!
    EDIT: i just looked and you dont even need a static ip, it works with dynamic too! if your not too fussed about a proper domain i think this could save a lot of time and money
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    if your not going to be running a huge site, something for just a few friends to see have a look at ...
    If thats the case you do not even need to buy a domain. Just get a fixed IP address and the web address will be http://212.189.22.57:80/ or whatever.

The whole DNS system was invented so people didn't have to remember long numbers but use easy to remember word based addresses instead. If you are not planning to open up a public website and broadcast its presence through the search engines you don't need it at all.

(also the ":80" is superfluous as you are using standard ports).

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Hmmm.... I think I'll look into getting a static IP through my ISP... If I can get one for free that would be great, because all this other stuff costs money...
    Most ISP's (at least in the UK charge extra for static IP addresses). Some of the Dynamic DNS services listed on the DMOZ page linked above are free Mal as in no cost, nada, rien, gratuit !

So if you don't need a domain name you can get it all up and running by getting or buying a fixed IP address. And if you want a domain name you don't need to pay for the fixed IP address, though personally I would recommend it.

CrazyB