Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Server Stuff

Default Re: Server Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Mal is money whats been stopping you? If yes send me a PM and I will buy it for you for christmas. Least I can do after your help in other threads man. I'll pay for it for two years for you after that its over to you if you wanna keep it you pay the dollar.

CrazyB
    LOL, no, it's not money, it's my lack of motivation. Hell, I could buy it right now, but then I'd need to go ask my mom for her credit card, and she'd probably have me do some chores first, then work on Geometry... I have to all that before I do anything else anyways, so I'm going to do some of that now and then buy it (I had to come up with a name too lol, that's what took up most of the time).

Thanks for the offer though! Definite +rep to you.
    RIP Bucko

Ok, I bought my domain name (yay!). But, I don't know how to make it point to my system. I changed my nameservers to the ones provided by Free DNS, but I don't know how to point it to my IP... Actually it looks like every computer on my network (well 2 of 5 anyways lol) is using the same IP. Should I get calling Verizon for a static IP for my server?

Edit: Thought I would add I already changed the Live Site path to my domain name (in Joomla). Other than that I have no idea what I'm supposed to do
    RIP Bucko

mal, as for joomla, you can shoot questions my way... I'm doing a few sites right now there not too hard but might be able to answer your ?'s

Quote Originally Posted by r0adawg View Post
    mal, as for joomla, you can shoot questions my way... I'm doing a few sites right now there not too hard but might be able to answer your ?'s
    Cool, I'll keep that in mind

For now though, I really need to figure out how to get the name to point to the server. Like I said, I think I'll give Verizon a call about a static IP and see what I can do.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Ok, I bought my domain name (yay!). But, I don't know how to make it point to my system. I changed my nameservers to the ones provided by Free DNS, but I don't know how to point it to my IP... Actually it looks like every computer on my network (well 2 of 5 anyways lol) is using the same IP. Should I get calling Verizon for a static IP for my server?
    If you are behind a NAT router, which I assume you are, all are using the same IP address almost certainly. The Router just points the packets where they were asked from. So if you ask an outside website to tell you your IP address it will report the same address for all machines behind the router - unless there are multiple assigned IP addresses routed to specific machines.

You need to tell your firewall/router to point http requests on port 80 to your server and somewhere in your free DNS setup you will have to point the domain to your IP address. That should be it. You built an index page yet?

CrazyB

o yes ive seen this in my router, theres a thing called static NAT which points all traffic on certain ports to a certain computer
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Hmmm... Ok, I think I understand, however, there is no way that I see in the Linksys options to do that. Unless that's what port forwarding is for, in which case I already have (Forwarding to server's network IP is set for port 80). This would make me feel dumb but could it be because I haven't waited a certain time period for the name? I bought it a few hours ago, is it possible that it hasn't been registered yet and I'm worrying about nothing?

And about the index page, yes and no. I have the default Joomla page, but I've only got started on making it into my page. I'm waiting for my new case to arrive so I can make some graphics, etc. I'm working out links and stuff right now, which is why I want to get the name to work (so I can work on linking to my forum and Torrentflux subdomains).
    RIP Bucko

it could be that you have to wait a bit. mine took a few hours i think. and the static NAT is under the port forewarding tab on my router if its any help
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

I don't have anything in mine about Static NAT, but under UPnP forwarding, I enabled the entry "HTTP" which is on Port 80, to point to 192.168.1.3 (what I gave my server).
    Last edited by .Maleficus.; 08-07-2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Figured it out myself...
    RIP Bucko

what linksys hardware do you have???